Western United v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: Western United v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby blahblah Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:37 pm

Must say I was pretty happy with that first outing The kids look good and the players who have just arrived appear to be gelling quickly.

Looks to be a fun season.

0-0 away, not a problem.
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby EdDog Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:51 pm

Good start. Thought we shaded it but didn't quite do enough in the front third.

Very impressed by Caletti, Delianov and Juric. Halloran, D'Arrigo, Jako, Strain and Elsey their usual solid selves.

Mauk didn't impose himself enough for me in that number 10 role but I wouldn't say it's his natural position, nor the position he would have been training in for the majority of the pre-season (until Troisi left). You'd have to say we need a number 10 as priority after watching this match.

Smith had a decent second half after a poor start. Few wayward passes but he'll only get better. Just needs minutes to get his confidence up so props to Veart for persisting with him.

Need to get 90 minutes of output from that second wing position, whoever beds down that spot. Halloran busy all night but the other lads couldn't quite maintain a good level for the whole game.

Mo Toure at 16 is so bloody strong and impressive to watch. Some of those turns / holding up the ball gave me flashbacks of his brother in the FFA Cup final turning Delbridge and playing in Halloran for our second goal.

Pleasing to see Konst get a run after his ACL. Plenty of opportunity for him this season.

Good point away from home, pretty stoked for next match already.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:28 pm

Quality and fitness felt like a ‘first game of the season’, but I completely agree with the positive vibes. I think this will be a fun season.

I was a bit sceptical of Juric, but he looks the goods for holding the ball up and making dangerous runs in behind.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:56 pm

Strain, Delianov and Caletti were very good.

Juric, Halloran, Jaboksen and Elsey very solid as expected.

Dukuly started very well but faded as the game went on while Smith struggled at times in the first half but grew into the game and ended up having a decent game overall.

Mauk was the only player who was disappointing. A player of his ability and talent needs to do more. When we eventually sign a replacement for Troisi, he can play in his more natural box to box role but Lopez is still to come into the side while Caletti and D’Arrigo both deserve to keep their spots. Veart will definitely have a selection headache soon.
Philbyramone
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Iaiais

Western United v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby Philbyramone Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:15 pm

Looking good with a bunch of youngsters again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:16 am

Carl Veart post-match press conference.

Sadly the questions are hard to hear once again.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:59 am

entertaining for sure but AU look weak in midfield and as usual at LB.
Mauk very ordinary and lack of a quality AM evident ( Troisi loss has compounded McGree going leaving massive quality gap). For me the biggest headscratcher is Mauk who has gone from a squaddie, to first 11 and captain. Not even sure he should be a regular starter yet.
Delianov was impressive and liked Juric, Strain and Calletti’s games.
Anyway, city at home will be a good indicator of whether AU will be competitive with the better teams or mid-table again.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:47 pm

Highlights ...

James Delianov talks to the press

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:59 pm

Smith and Strain made the team of the week. There’s some kind of statistical formula to figure out the best performing players.

Alou Kuol was the highest ranked player in the comp if anyone’s interested.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:06 am

entertaining for sure but AU look weak in midfield and as usual at LB.
Mauk very ordinary and lack of a quality AM evident ( Troisi loss has compounded McGree going leaving massive quality gap). For me the biggest headscratcher is Mauk who has gone from a squaddie, to first 11 and captain. Not even sure he should be a regular starter yet.
Delianov was impressive and liked Juric, Strain and Calletti’s games.
Anyway, city at home will be a good indicator of whether AU will be competitive with the better teams or mid-table again.
I agree with that Mauk assessment. I think that is due to him having a good amount of versatility last season he was moved around the park a lot. He played as a 10, 8, 6, LB and winger from memory. He's shown he's generally a decent 8 over the years so I think with time locking down that position we'll see his quality.
I don't think a big weakness in the centre of midfield is a massive surprise. I feel the level of disappointment shown by Bruce and Carl around Troisi's exit highlights they expected him to play a large role in that area. IMO there was every chance Troisi would offer AU 10+ goals and assists this season. IMO there isn't another player we can safely expect to offer the side that this season. So I'd expect this means Carl has to rethink his centre of the park almost entirely and now fall on all his plans he would have made for games when Troisi would have been out. Fingers crossed give Troisi's injury record Carl would have foresee this as pretty likely so I'd expect him to already have a plan B & C already he just now needs time to implement it this with the new first choice midfield.
Luckily it looks like Juric is pretty close to match fit so I'd expect he'll become a massive focal point going forward now.
Time to Djbate!
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:18 pm

IMO there was every chance Troisi would offer AU 10+ goals and assists this season.

This would have required a massive improvement on his performances from last season, even taking into account he may have been playing further forward this year.
We'll see how many he chalks up for WSW.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:45 pm

IMO there was every chance Troisi would offer AU 10+ goals and assists this season.

This would have required a massive improvement on his performances from last season, even taking into account he may have been playing further forward this year.
We'll see how many he chalks up for WSW.
Of course. Not saying that was a given. But considering his A-League career, that sort of return would have been reasonable to expect.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”