Stefan Mauk

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sub007
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Stefan Mauk

Postby sub007 Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:47 pm

Announced as our new captain. Congrats Stefan!

I have to say I’m shocked by the announcement but I wish him all the best.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Re: Stefan Mauk

Postby MartinAUFC Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:49 pm

Hmmm... interesting call. Hopefully it has a positive effect on him and he matures a bit.

We don't need a skipper who's prone to the odd "red mist" moment,
salmonfc
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Craig Goodwin

Postby salmonfc Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:48 pm

Hmmm... interesting call. Hopefully it has a positive effect on him and he matures a bit.

We don't need a skipper who's prone to the odd "red mist" moment,
My first thought. I've always rated him as a player, but I wouldn't have tipped him to be captain material. I didn't watch much of Mauk, or the A-League in general, last season as I cancelled my Fox Sports subscription but I assume that hopefully he's mellowed out a bit recently (although I have to admit I absolutely loved him for sparking the handbags between Adelaide and Melb City in 15/16). Hopefully it works out.
we da best
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:59 pm

Cue dramatic music and images of captains past ...

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:11 am

Very surprising appointment. I hope it keeps him grounded here longer term then. There is no doubt of his quality.

I think Stefan has a real mongrel win at all costs sort of mentality which is not a trait I would associate with AU over their lifetime but is obviously a valuable trait within a competitive league. As much as I've always hated Muscat I can certainly see what Victory fans would love about him and his record is as good as anyone's. If Stefan can instil that sort of mentality and culture within AU I'll be very happy.
Time to Djbate!
MartinAUFC

Postby MartinAUFC Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:27 pm

Very surprising appointment. I hope it keeps him grounded here longer term then. There is no doubt of his quality.

I think Stefan has a real mongrel win at all costs sort of mentality which is not a trait I would associate with AU over their lifetime but is obviously a valuable trait within a competitive league. As much as I've always hated Muscat I can certainly see what Victory fans would love about him and his record is as good as anyone's. If Stefan can instil that sort of mentality and culture within AU I'll be very happy.

Sorry Stucky, but the day Adelaide United adopt a "Kevin Muscat like mentality" is the day I throw my members ticket in the bin. The guy was a career ending thug on the pitch and is a classless, sneering c**t on the sideline.

It made my day to hear he'd got the bullet after only 14 games in Belgium. No doubt he'll turn up back in the A League before long.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:10 pm

Sorry Stucky, but the day Adelaide United adopt a "Kevin Muscat like mentality" is the day I throw my members ticket in the bin. The guy was a career ending thug on the pitch and is a classless, sneering c**t on the sideline.

It made my day to hear he'd got the bullet after only 14 games in Belgium. No doubt he'll turn up back in the A League before long.
Yeah we obviously don't need to turn up the c#$t meter to 11 haha Isaias is another lesser example of a very much win at any cost leader of a side. But I think you ask any Victory fan their thoughts on Isa and the language would probably be similar to an extent to how we speak about Muscat.
The point is these players not only drive their side to a winning mentality. But also get under the skin of the opposition quite often as well which often throws that side off their game to an extent.
I agree there is a line and players like Muscat and Isaias live their lives walking as close as possible to it. But I certainly agree Muscat crossed the line far more often then Isaias and far more often than truly necessary. But again that's coming from a fan on the receiving end of his BS and victory celebrations.
Time to Djbate!
Philbyramone
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Iaiais

Stefan Mauk

Postby Philbyramone Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:29 pm

Yeah we obviously don't need to turn up the c#$t meter to 11 haha Isaias is another lesser example of a very much win at any cost leader of a side. But I think you ask any Victory fan their thoughts on Isa and the language would probably be similar to an extent to how we speak about Muscat.
The point is these players not only drive their side to a winning mentality. But also get under the skin of the opposition quite often as well which often throws that side off their game to an extent.
I agree there is a line and players like Muscat and Isaias live their lives walking as close as possible to it. But I certainly agree Muscat crossed the line far more often then Isaias and far more often than truly necessary. But again that's coming from a fan on the receiving end of his BS and victory celebrations.
I dispute that Isaias is anything like Muscat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:36 pm

I dispute that Isaias is anything like Muscat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Absolutely. Isaias speaks far better English.
MartinAUFC

Postby MartinAUFC Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:31 pm

Stuckey, we have been fellow forumites for over ten years now and I have always enjoyed reading your posts, and on the whole I agree with most of what you write and I respect your opinions.

But you are way off the mark with this Muscat-Isiais comparison that you seem willing to keep peddling. There may be some extremely slight similarities in the way they tried to influence officials, get in the heads of the opposition etc. but overall, both as footballers and people, they are worlds apart.

You just have to pay a visit to Mr.Muscat’s Wikipedia page and scroll down the rather lengthy paragraph under the heading “Reputation” and read about his playing career in the UK, and back here in the A League, to realize what kind of animal we are talking about here. In amongst the list of off the ball violence and career threatening assaults disguised as tackles you will see perhaps the most damning statement of all - he was actually threatened with the sack at Millwall for being too much of a thug !!! Need I say more ?

On the other hand I ask you to recall the scenes at Coopers Stadium on 30th November 2018 when the current AU skipper Stefan Mauk was playing for the Roar and was out cold after a head clash. Isiais had forgotten all about the game and was desperately trying to protect Mauk, his opponent on the night, while he lay on the ground. A display of sportsmanship which probably has no equal in the history of the club and was quite rightly lauded by all and sundry as a “class act”.

Muscat would probably have slyly stamped on his nads while he was down and walked away.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:10 pm

Thank you for the kind words. Yes I am certainly over simplifying the comparison for sure! I'm just saying there are players out there that do aim to walk a fine line and get under opposition's skin. IMO all three players have this trait but I'm not saying they've carried it out in the same way or to the same level.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”