Coopers Stadium

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

The Claw
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Coopers Stadium

Postby The Claw Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:39 pm

In today’s budget, I think it’s as good as we could hope in the current climate. Liberals come through for football again.

By the time the Matildas play in the FIFA Women’s World Cup in 2023, Adelaide’s Hindmarsh Stadium will have been revamped, with the budget allocating $45 million to the arena out of a $204 million, four year investment to upgrade key stadiums and facilities.

The redevelopment aims to be completed by the end of 2022 or start of 2023 to be ready for the international soccer tournament.

The money for the stadium upgrade will purchase shade covering over the eastern grandstand; new lighting; new and upgraded change rooms and toilets; and improved food and beverage outlets as well as disability access, media/broadcast and corporate facilities.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Re: Coopers Stadium

Postby sub007 Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:10 pm

Awesome!
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:38 pm

Yeah better than nothing but really a bandaid solution we will have to revisit again in 10 years time.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:32 pm

The roof will be an absolute godsend and the upgraded corporate facilities will hopefully improve our sponsorship reach.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:56 am

Will it even happen? Or when fifa decide to avoid Adelaide will the funding get pulled and given to some local afl clubs.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:59 am

Good, better than nothing and if it brings the WWC to Adelaide even better.
Get it going!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:12 am

Great news! Only 15 years overdue! Hopefully this helps with the transition to winter A-League so more fans won't have to get soaked to watch the game.
Time to Djbate!
Reds United
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcelo Carrusca

Postby Reds United Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:41 pm

I agree that this is positive news given the current climate. However, I was hoping that the Federal Government would chip in funds so that a new eastern stand and the filling in of the corners would eventuate. As it stands, shade cloth is a band aid fix and there will be no increase in capacity. I would have liked Hindmarsh to become a modern ,state of the art 25-30K capacity boutique stadium to attract international events to our fair city. The good news is the new lighting and the two superscreens. I wonder if the changerooms that they mentioned are in addition to the current two. Four changerooms would mean the Lady Reds could play double headers. That would be a nice legacy.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:17 am

Shade cloth has me a little concerned... will it keep the rain out???
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:23 am

Not a fan, feel like Cooper's needs to be neglected (even more so) if we are ever to get a modern, multi-purpose, Riverside stadium is the CBD.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:47 pm

Great news indeed.

Given the forecasted state finances for the next decade or so, this is reasonable.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:02 pm

Not a fan, feel like Cooper's needs to be neglected (even more so) if we are ever to get a modern, multi-purpose, Riverside stadium is the CBD.
I agree although I think Football needs to get more fans back to games to be able to demand a brand new stadium.
Time to Djbate!
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:56 pm

I think that The Claw's statement that "this is the best that we could hope for in the current climate" is bang on. We would all love a brand spanking new stadium over the railyards and one with a retractable roof, but given that Rob Lucas has just put an extra $20bn on the State's Bankcard just to keep the economy afloat until the pandemic passes and that a brand new stadium with a retractable roof was estimated at $1.3bn, that option was never going to happen.

The surprise for me is that the State Government is willing to put money into so money different stadia around the city - Coopers, the hockey stadium at Gepps Cross, Memorial Drive for the tennis and even the Priceline stadium at Mile End. I would have bet good money that they would have consolidated the stadia into Coopers, Memorial Drive and the hockey centre and then insisted that the smaller sports go to the Entertainment Centre. Priceline could have been sold off to help pay for the new and improved Entertainment Centre and it would have created something of an 'entertainment precinct' at Hindmarsh.

Anyway - we've all been calling for years for either a brand new stadium in the city, or an upgraded Hindmarsh, so let's be thankful that we have something. The new and improved Hindmarsh should be odds on to secure one tranche of the WWC matches in 2023, which will be incredible. If we do - will the State Government request that England plays their group matches here? Given the size of the British immigrant population in South Australia, that would be an obvious and highly desirable move.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:15 pm

The surprise for me is that the State Government is willing to put money into so money different stadia around the city - Coopers, the hockey stadium at Gepps Cross, Memorial Drive for the tennis and even the Priceline stadium at Mile End.
It means a lot of different small contracts which spreads the contracting and subsequent sub-contracting opportunities. They are also shorter time-frame pieces of work which means the money will be spent during the existing economic malaise rather than drag on until later when the situation isn't as urgent.

As an efficiency model, not so good, but as a short-term stimulus measure, sensible.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:17 am

man there are a lot of things the State Govt should spend money on, a brand new fancypants stadium is not one of them.
Upgrades to Hindmarsh ftw!
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”