Mauk and McGree

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

MartinAUFC
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Mauk and McGree

Postby MartinAUFC Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:59 pm

Are Mauk and McGree too similar to play effectively in the same team ?

When AU signed Mauk I remember think “why ?” I mean we already had arguably the best player in that position in the league, and we also had Konstandopolous in reserve.
Don’t get me wrong, I think they are both great players. But there was a moment in the second half of the game the other night when they passed the ball to each other in the centre of the pitch two or three times like they just didn’t know what to do next.
They are both excellent at getting up and down the pitch, aggressive in the tackle and can cause havoc in the final third but neither of them could be described as a “playmaker”.
We probably could have gotten away with it when Isiais was around. He was a holding mid and playmaker all rolled into one. He was that good. But we can’t expect the young fellas to fill that dual role.

Perhaps Mauk was brought in with the potential sale of McGree for big bucks in mind, but it’s debatable whether that will happen now in the current climate. So do they, or should they, both have a future at the club ?
otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: Mauk and McGree

Postby otto62 Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:20 pm

It’s a yes from me. You can never have too much quality. It does push Konsta out of the starting line up, but these two young players will only get better and better the more they play with each other. I thought they played really well together. Too often in the past when we’ve had the one big playmaker we’ve been vulnerable to the opposition just nullifying that one player.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: Mauk and McGree

Postby sevengoals Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:57 pm

As long as their roles are clear I see no reason why they can not play in the same 11.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”