Verbeek gone?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sub007
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Verbeek gone?

Postby sub007 Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:31 pm

Verbeek did an interview with Fox Sports Netherlands and was quoted as saying “Chances are the adventure will end at the end of the season”.

https://twitter.com/aleaguehub/status/1 ... 07744?s=21

His wife is also selling all of their stuff on Facebook marketplace as well.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Re: Verbeek gone?

Postby ChillyPhilly Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:44 pm

It's looking like a thing. Consider it his effective resignation.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:46 pm

Good excuse to get gone maybe. From that interview there was another quote saying he didn't like the methods in Adelaide United. I wonder whether it has anything to do with recruitment or lack thereof. He was given a threadbare defense and possibly wasn't made aware of Adelaide's striker curse that we have all become so used to.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:58 pm

I've put the summary text through Google translate and it gives us the gist of what was said.
I pasted the entire summary text but their talk goes on for 11 minutes so I reckon this text is not word for word.
Gertjan Verbeek went on an adventure with Adelaide United in Australia, but is currently in a difficult position with his selected staff. As with all other clubs, salaries are frozen as of April 1. Verbeek is angry with the actions of Australian club owners and the way he and his players have been treated.

Verbeek is experiencing a year with highs and lows in Australia. The Dutch trainer experienced a sporting highlight with a cup win, but he also experienced the serious situation with the forest fires and is now confronted with the consequences of the corona crisis. "On Monday we were told by the club that we have to stop all football activities," said Verbeek from Adelaide.

Where European club salaries cut in consultation with players, Australian club owners use a more rigorous approach, as Verbeek and his players found. "From April 1, we will no longer receive a salary, we will be without income."

Verbeek is not only angry about the measure - no salary, but working on and training individually in the run-up to a possible resumption of the competition - but especially about the way the clubs communicate. The Adelaide employees only received a letter on the doormat, Verbeek was brought up to date via its technical director. The Dutch owner Piet van der Pol kept quiet towards his trainer. "I'm surprised he hasn't made contact yet."

The measures are causing problems for the players of Adelaide United. "There are no Barcelona salaries here, guys really get in trouble this way." The 57-year-old trainer can broadcast it himself for longer, but is also 'not amused' to say the least and competes with his club: "I do my job and fight that I don't get paid."

Verbeek's two-year adventure may therefore come to an early end. "It goes out overnight. If you don't get paid now, how is that going to happen next year? I didn't go here for the big bucks, but if they're going to cut my salary now, I'll almost have to bring some money. "(FOX Sports)
https://www.foxsports.nl/nieuws/artikel ... laris-meer

Here is the link to the page where the interview and text is printed.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:23 pm

What an absolute mess, who knows what AU will look like and football in general in this country in 12 mths.
No fan of Verbeek, but it does seem he is gone and almost that is pissed off at van der pol- probably promised more than he got.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:35 pm

Verbeek and Sibon now officially gone.
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:40 pm

Probably get a state league junior manager next season. Club won't have any coin
Jumbinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hugene

Postby Jumbinho Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:47 pm

Over the journey I think the club’s done it’s best work in providing a platform to young Australian players. I’d like to see us try the same with young Australian coaches tbh (as long as it’s not John Aloisi :lol: )

I find the cycling through of European coaches really frustrating. The constant turnover every couple of years and subsequent hard reset of the clubs philosophy based on the personality of that coach doesn’t do it for me.

Hopefully we can keep Bruce in his position for the medium to long term so that the club can build some kind of culture that is not dictated by the coach in charge at the time.
milan_7
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: McGree

Postby milan_7 Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:08 pm

I'd like to see a local manager brought in, Bruce has said before he prefers Australian managers due to the complexity of the league with the salary cap etc.

A few options of varying quality and likeliness that I think would be on the list:

- Michael Valkanis
- Carl Veart
- Tony Vidmar
- Ufuk Talay
- Joe Mullen
- John Aloisi
- Tomaz Kavcic (Current Qingdao Head Coach)
- Jan Poortvliet (Former Dutch International and Fomer Qingdao Head Coach)
- Josep Gombau
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:09 pm

Good riddance.

No more Dutch coaches.

Tony Vidmar is the best pick of the bunch in terms of Aussies. Carl Veart can continue to be groomed for the role in future.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:04 pm

Verbeek never really captured me. Did some good things but I couldn't see us improving under him. Will be interesting to see where we go from here. Getting an international coach is going to be tough in the current environment so I think the owner's hand might be forced anyway!
milan_7

Postby milan_7 Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:08 pm

Counting down the seconds until Damian Mori is suggested for the role, don't mean to be rude but I think he's vastly overrated, was at the biggest club in the NPL for years and while he won a few trophies I'd argue they should have won far more considering they always had the best squad.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:58 am

“Given a number of reasons, such as the global health problems, future of the league, difficult financial situation of the Club and the need to protect and care for my family, my future as head coach at Adelaide United was insecure,” said Verbeek from Holland.

“Based on the uncertain period we are currently in, we mutually agreed to end the contract after one season.

“I would like to thank the Adelaide United fans for supporting me and the team through this period.

“It was a great triumph to win the FFA Cup this season and I’m very proud of this accomplishment.

https://www.adelaideunited.com.au/news/ ... an-verbeek

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:32 am

I'd like to see a local manager brought in, Bruce has said before he prefers Australian managers due to the complexity of the league with the salary cap etc.

A few options of varying quality and likeliness that I think would be on the list:

- Michael Valkanis
- Carl Veart
- Tony Vidmar
- Ufuk Talay
- Joe Mullen
- John Aloisi
- Tomaz Kavcic (Current Qingdao Head Coach)
- Jan Poortvliet (Former Dutch International and Fomer Qingdao Head Coach)
- Josep Gombau
Yes please! Little would make me happier than seeing Josip come back and win a title after IMO he played such a massive part in winning the last one.
Of the locals Tony Vidmar would be high on my list. I'd also be interested to see what a Micky V lead side would be like. I reckon he would be a totally different manager to the one who left the club.
Time to Djbate!
milan_7

Postby milan_7 Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:42 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvFC_BgPEQ

Says the think it will be a local coach, I'd say Tony is the frontrunner.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”