Staff & Player Retention

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: Staff & Player Retention

Postby blahblah Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:09 am

Don't tell me Chen Yongbin has been stood down!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo................
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:53 pm

Apologies for linking with the COVID-19.

No worries Otto.
Stay healthy!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:55 pm

Don't tell me Chen Yongbin has been stood down!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo................

Poor bugger ...

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:10 pm

I feel a little vindicated here. Yes, there are concerns, but let's not panic too soon.

SMH yesterday:
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/fox ... OOYDpiLSWA

"The future of the A-League's TV rights could come down to a game of chicken between Fox Sports and Football Federation Australia with the two organisations waiting for the other to flinch before claiming a breach of contract.

After a meeting between FFA chief executive James Johnson and Foxtel chief Patrick Delaney on Friday, the A-League clubs were told they will likely receive their final instalments of the broadcast deal for this year, but were given no assurances for the future."
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:38 am

This is behind the pay wall but i think you get one or two free hits a month.

Carl Veart for coach anyone?

I'm in.

... “I thought about this (a Verbeek replacement) a couple of days ago,’’ van der Pol said.

“To my surprise you don’t need a pro-licence if you’re an Australian (coach), so we have qualified coaches.

“Carl (Veart) is one of them who has a pro-licence to be the coach and we have thought about it.”
Veart was an assistant to Verbeek.
Van der Pol said the club would survive the crisis whether it panned out for a month or for a year.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/fo ... 0f52fa4877

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:03 am

Van der Pol said the club would survive the crisis whether it panned out for a month or for a year.

That is a good message to get out.

The question then becomes one of what the competition looks like going forward and hence what revenue structure the club has to work with.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:33 pm

This is behind the pay wall but i think you get one or two free hits a month.

Karl Veart for coach anyone?

I'm in.

... “I thought about this (a Verbeek replacement) a couple of days ago,’’ van der Pol said.

“To my surprise you don’t need a pro-licence if you’re an Australian (coach), so we have qualified coaches.

“Carl (Veart) is one of them who has a pro-licence to be the coach and we have thought about it.”
Veart was an assistant to Verbeek.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/fo ... 0f52fa4877

B)
For me Tony Vidmar has a bit more "worldly" coaching experience but yeah, Veart would be awesome.

Some synergies with a re-booted league and having Veart at the forefront.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:24 pm

That is a good message to get out.

The question then becomes one of what the competition looks like going forward and hence what revenue structure the club has to work with.
Theres rumours overseas investors are looking to buy A-league clubs and even the league. I would imagine the A-league as we know it is over.

My personal preference is we take a much more traditional grassroots approach to the league in future. No franchises, only living breathing clubs that own themselves.

Even if it means some clubs playing out of suburban grounds, theres something that makes me smile when I see a 5K capacity crowd in a suburban stadium.

Anything to get away from the manufactured "happy meal" style of league we currently have to something that actually allows clubs to generate and evolve.

Im more than happy to risk having less quality Visa players in the league in exchange for 18 Aleague / NPL clubs with with reduced revenue and salaries , no cap and 95% australian players. Give one of the streaming services out there the rights to the league and Cup.

Im probably in the minority here but the franchise system stinks, there is nothing quite like the passion in the lower leagues of europe.. bring it on!
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:28 pm

Agree 100% Shin. This presents an opportunity to do it again and get it right.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:37 pm

Agree 100% Shin. This presents an opportunity to do it again and get it right.
My thoughts exactly.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:19 pm

Sorry. Lost me. Give me an A-league with quality, like we've had since it's inception. Go your route and instead of crowds of 5k at a suburban ground there'll be 3k if that, there'll be clubs going broke, players not getting paid, and all the bad old days will be back. Sinking to the level of the lowest common denominator.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:12 am

I have no issue with smaller venues but our top flight needs to be at a level of professionalism around what it currently is.
I love the romance of grassroots clubs and I agree they need to have pathways to develop into top flight outfits but bringing the level down to meet them is the wrong way to go about it in my opinion.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:18 am

It's tough because the level of 'professionalism' is also what has been causing clubs to struggle so much (including ours, at times), and in future if we sink into recession there's going to be a lot less money to go around. If we keep running the A-League as is and clubs like Mariners go to the wall, what happens? Do we just keep shoehorning Western Uniteds and Macarthur FC's in to replace them? Where does the money for that come from?
Reverse engineering the system to get a shiny-looking product might have been what was needed at the start of the A-League but I think these are different times. The good thing is that now (as opposed to the end of the NSL) we have several clubs that have pretty big & consistent levels of support, and the things that are working well can keep on working well. I don't see that opening up (e.g.) expansion and promotion/relegation in a more organic way is about bringing down the standard of the league, but about making space for more growth. Raise the water level so all boats can float, or however that saying goes..
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:40 pm

Something similar to what we had would be good however with far more flexibility in the licensing model to allow for smaller clubs to operate in the black. That way the competition can be expanded with smaller clubs joining the fray, such as the Fury, which in turn would lead to promotion/relegation in a two tier national competition.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:15 pm

Some more thoughts on football after the virus ...

It’s the $58m question. Amid more rumblings of reluctance from Fox Sports to see out the final three years of its six-year broadcast deal, how best can Australian football secure its future?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... pportunity

B)

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”