Season’s finished?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Season’s finished?

Postby Stuckey Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:48 am

Football Federation Australia (FFA) today re-confirmed its intention to resume the Hyundai A-League 2019/20 season as soon as possible, identifying a number of criteria that need to be satisfied before a firm date for the resumption could be set. Those criteria include the sustainable provision of:

- Player and staff Health and Safety threshold requirements
- State and Federal border restrictions being lifted
- Large gathering restrictions allowing for the required squads and support staff to gather
- Social distancing protocols being agreed with governments to allow the holding of professional games
https://www.adelaideunited.com.au/news/ ... oF4up6jaEQ

Who knows how long that all will be? Depending on who you ask the borders may stay closed all year!

I read the AFL is considering moving every club to one city (presumably Melbourne) to play out games in one city. I wonder if something like that would work? Presumably the HAL would play out in NSW.
I'd love to see the rest of the season played out at NSW suburban grounds. If Fox can rig up cameras for FFA Cup games that shouldn't be an issue to televise the remainder of the season behind closed doors.
Time to Djbate!
otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:34 pm

I wouldn't mind it spread around some of the better grounds in Sydney, but they need better cameras than some that I saw in the FFA Cup. It still needs to look professional, not NPL.

Buyers market? Could we get a good deal for a 5 week stint from some of the bigger stadiums who at the moment have nothing?

If AFL are in Melbourne & NRL are in Sydney, we could base the Football in Adelaide, using Hindmarsh, Marden & Adelaide Oval. Should get good deals on accommodation too. Adelaide might even come out of lock down earlier?
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:58 am

If AFL are in Melbourne & NRL are in Sydney, we could base the Football in Adelaide, using Hindmarsh, Marden & Adelaide Oval. Should get good deals on accommodation too. Adelaide might even come out of lock down earlier?
It would be nice. Some of the SANFL stadiums have reasonable broadcast facilities.

How many games a week can the pitch at Coopers handle?
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: Season’s finished?

Postby bpowell454 Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:56 am

I wouldn't mind it spread around some of the better grounds in Sydney, but they need better cameras than some that I saw in the FFA Cup. It still needs to look professional, not NPL.

Buyers market? Could we get a good deal for a 5 week stint from some of the bigger stadiums who at the moment have nothing?

Why play at multiple stadiums?

If it were in Adelaide, why not just play all games at Cooper's stadium, already set up for cameras etc. Only potential issue is changerooms for quick turnaround on games. I feel like once we get to this point, a state owned stadium like Cooper's would be the best to petition to in regards to cheaper rent etc.

Edit- I didn't think about how the pitch would take so many games a week. Definitely something that needs to be considered.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:55 am

I like that thinking. I guess it would need to be viable for moving 10 clubs here over 7 clubs to NSW.
But I love the thinking! Especially if lock down in SA ends earlier than NSW or VIC.
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:03 am

... they need better cameras than some that I saw in the FFA Cup. It still needs to look professional, not NPL.
Key in this respect is camera height, flat angles look shit and if you can mount the camera at a height where you get a decent overview of the pitch it looks much better.
Could definitely be done in Adelaide (or elsewhere).
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
otto62

Postby otto62 Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:29 pm

I'd think that Coopers, Marden & Adelaide Oval could handle 2 games a week for say a 6 week stint.
Basing the A-League teams training at some of the local NPL grounds (not Marden), would put a little money in their pockets too.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:17 am

I'd think that Coopers, Marden & Adelaide Oval could handle 2 games a week for say a 6 week stint.
Basing the A-League teams training at some of the local NPL grounds (not Marden), would put a little money in their pockets too.
I wonder if the games were condensed so teams played every 3-4 days to get thru the games faster. This would also minimise the amount of training sessions required so contact time is reduced. That would also lower the need and cost of facilities.

Unless AO were super keen to host games I'd say that would be a pretty expensive place to play still. I'd imagine grounds like Raiders and Oakden would be best. Good pitch, plenty of room for broadcast, ability to keep gates closed.
Time to Djbate!
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:20 am

I wonder if a extended "Lightning Carnival / WC " type tournament could work?

Group stage , followed by knock out stage, climaxing in a "Grande Finale" .

If we had 12 teams (my idea crashes here ...) we could have four groups of three with the four teams finishing top of the groups playing two semifinals leading to the Final.

The 3 group games per team could be played as a shortened version, say two 25min halves with all group games being played on the Saturday and with the two semi-finals being played on the Sunday in 90min cup format as a double header.

The Final could be played midweek under lights at Hindmarsh.

Or play the group games in the shortened version over one weekend and the Semi- finals and final over the next weekend.

B)

( It could work especially if AU made the finale ... :mrgreen: )
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62

Postby otto62 Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:11 pm

Surely that carnival idea would just trash the season so far?

No team has more than 6 games left.
Play twice a week (that's once every 3-4 days), starting mid-week.
So 3 weeks and the regular season games are completed.

2 more weeks to complete finals.
Qualifying finals mid-week, Semi finals on the following weekend.
Then no midweek game, with the Final played 7 days after semi-finals.

5 weeks total.

I don't think you can ask professional players to play more frequently than that.
If necessary, reduce each half down to maybe as low as 30 minutes.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:36 pm

Maybe if the congregation limits go back up to 10 ppl, we can hold 5-a-side comp!
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:02 am

5-a-side with no refs! Jumpers for goalposts. I like it.
Or just retrospectively apply 'next goal wins' rules, in which case Newy take the title
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:06 pm

nrl confirmed return date as may 28. Surely we need to start locking in a start date for similar time
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:54 pm

nrl confirmed return date as may 28. Surely we need to start locking in a start date for similar time
I feel like everyone is just waiting to see what everyone else does and how that is received by the public.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:17 am

I feel like everyone is just waiting to see what everyone else does and how that is received by the public.
Yeah I reckon once the Bundesliga kicks off again we'll see a few more organisations start making decisions based on how that fairs.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”