Preview Rd 17: AUFC vs the East Adelaide Second XI

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

RedTide
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Preview Rd 17: AUFC vs the East Adelaide Second XI

Postby RedTide Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:39 pm

I'm in that dangerous mood again of feeling quietly confident; normally when I feel that way, the team lets me (us) down.

The East Adelaide 2nd XI don't have a settled backline this season; they can't even decide who is their #1 GK. I'm hoping that they swap back to Bouzanis, because he makes fundamental errors that let in goals that should never be goals. Jamieson is out for them, which is a shame, because he is just a liability; how he managed to score the captain's armband is beyond me. He is a squaddie at best.

As long as our backline can withstand their forwards and not make silly mistakes - and let us all look sternly at Jordan Elsey at this point - I think that our frontline and our mids will feast on their less than brilliant back four. Maybe Delbridge will do us a favour and give away yet another penalty.

Mileusnic and Halloran should have plenty of space out wide and McGree and Troisi should be able to drive us through their midfield and into their 18yd box. I just can't see how they can keep those four out, frankly; like I said, I'm in that dangerous mood of being quietly confident.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Preview Rd 17: AUFC vs the East Adelaide Second XI

Postby bpowell454 Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:10 pm

I'm in that dangerous mood again of feeling quietly confident; normally when I feel that way, the team lets me (us) down.

The East Adelaide 2nd XI don't have a settled backline this season; they can't even decide who is their #1 GK. I'm hoping that they swap back to Bouzanis, because he makes fundamental errors that let in goals that should never be goals. Jamieson is out for them, which is a shame, because he is just a liability; how he managed to score the captain's armband is beyond me. He is a squaddie at best.

As long as our backline can withstand their forwards and not make silly mistakes - and let us all look sternly at Jordan Elsey at this point - I think that our frontline and our mids will feast on their less than brilliant back four. Maybe Delbridge will do us a favour and give away yet another penalty.

Mileusnic and Halloran should have plenty of space out wide and McGree and Troisi should be able to drive us through their midfield and into their 18yd box. I just can't see how they can keep those four out, frankly; like I said, I'm in that dangerous mood of being quietly confident.
Should be getting Toure back, possibly Opseth and Boland should be even fitter. Nearly a full squad of senior players to choose from.

Here's the big question for me-

Do you start Blackwood?

Had a solid performance on the weekend but is inconsistent. Toure has been better than Blackwood all year but do you break up a winning team?

City are hot and cold, they've definitely got the players to take their chances so we can't afford to give away the ball like we've been doing lately.
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Re: Preview Rd 17: AUFC vs the East Adelaide Second XI

Postby RedTide Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:28 pm

Good question .... it's really hard to change a winning combination, but only a week ago I wrote that the Blackwood experiment had failed and it was time to move him on. Now I think I was too judgemental. Maybe start with Georgie and then sub on Toure at the 60 minute mark? It would give time for both of them to have an impact and then wouldn't be seen as a punishment (ie. if he wasn't selected in the first place).

Still unsure about what to do with Opseth. He does a lot of the donkey work off the ball (and out of sight), dragging defenders away from MCGree and Halloran, but then he never quite seems to get himself in the right position to just bang them in.

Boland is still working his way back to match fitness and with Vinnie Lia gone, we need Boland's 'hard man' persona in the midfield more than ever. For me, he is another good option to come on ~ 60 minutes.

Fully agree that City are hot and cold; they were forgettable against us in the FFA Cup final but at other times, it looks like there is only one team on the park. Let's hope that it is the cold version that turns up this weekend.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:00 am

Maybe start with Georgie and then sub on Toure at the 60 minute mark?
Given Toure is just back and nursing a sore foot I'd imagine something along those lines will occur.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:46 am

Georgie deserves a start, for sure, after his game last week. Keep Toure, Opseth & Boland on the bench.
Hope Konstandopoulos gets some minutes this week as well.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:17 pm

Adelaide United injury update: Al Hassan Toure

Adelaide United can confirm Al Hassan Toure suffered a stress fracture of the second metatarsal in his right foot whilst on international duty with the Olyroos.

Toure will be ruled out of action for Adelaide United for an indefinite period of time with the Club seeking a surgical opinion in the coming days.

Everyone at Adelaide United will be fully supporting Al Hassan and wish him all the best for his recovery.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:31 pm

Underage players who are in their professional clubs first teams are much better off playing club football than pretending anyone cares about underage international football.

This could really stall the forward momentum in his career.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:31 pm

Adelaide United can confirm Al Hassan Toure suffered a stress fracture of the second metatarsal in his right foot whilst on international duty with the Olyroos.

Toure will be ruled out of action for Adelaide United for an indefinite period of time with the Club seeking a surgical opinion in the coming days.

Everyone at Adelaide United will be fully supporting Al Hassan and wish him all the best for his recovery.

Scheisse.
That sucks big time.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:57 pm

Nikola speaks to the media.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:47 am

pretending anyone cares about underage international football.
:roll:
it's the Olympics.
These are legit qualifying games, it's not like it's a meaningless friendly. It sucks he got injured but surely a greater exposure to different styles & setups and playing against foreign teams in a variety of conditions is a good thing for a young player overall.
Last edited by Old Gregg on Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:29 am

I feel confident as well.

I’m tipping a 3-2 win.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:30 am

Losing Toure is a big blow.

Does anyone know when Kristian and Kusini will be fit again?
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:00 pm

Scheisse.
That sucks big time.
Step forward George Blackwood and grasp this opportunity with both hands - it's now or never young man.
UnitedPants
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: -

Postby UnitedPants Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:10 pm

Adelaide United squad: 2.Michael MARRONE, 4.Ryan STRAIN, 5.Michaël MARIA, 7.Ryan KITTO, 8.Riley McGREE, 10.James TROISI, 11.Kristian OPSETH, 14.George BLACKWOOD, 16.Nathan KONSTANDOPOULOS, 17.Nikola MILEUSNIĆ, 18.Lachlan BROOK, 20.Paul IZZO (gk), 22.Michael JAKOBSEN (c), 23.Jordan ELSEY, 26.Ben HALLORAN, 27.Louis D’ARRIGO, 31.Mirko BOLAND, 40.Dakota OCHSENHAM (gk)

**0-2 to be omitted**

Ins: 11.Kristian OPSETH (returns from injury), 18.Lachlan BROOK (promoted)

Outs: nil

Unavailable: 24.Pacifique NIYONGABIRE (adductor), 29.Kusini YENGI (knee), 30.Isaac RICHARDS (knee), 35.Al Hassan TOURE (foot), 36.Noah SMITH (foot)

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Tom GLOVER (gk), 2.Scott GALLOWAY, 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Jack HENDRY, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 9.Jamie MACLAREN, 10.Florin BERENGUER 11.Craig NOONE, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 14.Markel SUSAETA, 17.Denis GENREAU, 19.Lachlan WALES, 20.Adrian LUNA, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 22.Curtis GOOD, 23.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 30.Moudi NAJJAR, 34.Connor METCALFE, 49.Stefan COLAKOVSKI

**2-4 to be omitted**

Ins: 1.Tom GLOVER (returns from international duty), 17.Denis GENREAU (returns from international duty), 21.Ramy NAJJARINE (returns from international duty), 34.Connor METCALFE (returns from international duty)

Outs: 3.Soctt JAMIESON (suspended – 1 week), 46.Joe GAUCI (omitted)

Unavailable: 40.Richard WINDBICHLER (hamstring)
UnitedPants
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: -

Postby UnitedPants Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:37 pm

Are umbrellas allowed in the stadium? Could be wet one.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”