Perth Glory v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Rojos
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Re: Perth Glory v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby Rojos Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:22 am

Anyone that knows anything about sports science will tell you that singling out Kitto publicly and stating he's not up to A-League standards is highly unlikely to get the best out of Kitto or any other player.

May have worked for Blight once 20 years ago, millenials are a different beast. Look at Clarkson or Hardwick, it's all about teaching and mentoring now.
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:49 am

Anyone that knows anything about sports science will tell you that singling out Kitto publicly and stating he's not up to A-League standards is highly unlikely to get the best out of Kitto or any other player.

May have worked for Blight once 20 years ago, millenials are a different beast. Look at Clarkson or Hardwick, it's all about teaching and mentoring now.
If he's had a chat to Ryan before the presser and is still going to try and help him improve then there's absolutely no issue IMO. My guess is he ripped him apart at half time.

A public baking can certainly work but I will say you can't go to that lake too often.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:02 am

Surely, one of the questions that has to be asked is whether Verbeek is as critical of his own work as he is of the players. Kicking Kitto in the teeth may look tough but he is a player who gets little game time, isn't a natural defender and is unlikely to benefit from public humiliation. Leaders need to take responsibility publicly and deal with real issues behind closed doors. We've looked poor for some time now and I'm not seeing much change in the way we go about things. After a few losses it's becoming obvious that the younger players like D'Arrigo are struggling. He's been amazing but he's not yet 20. Maybe sure up the back by putting Vinnie or Marrone alongside him and give the defence a bit more confidence. And then - and I know this is a pet complaint of mine - playing Elsey and Strain and Kitto before Marrone simply beggars belief. Elsey is half the player he was. Kitto is....not a defender but he tries. Strain is very hot and cold. Marrone is stable and smart. But he's not tall. That seems to be the only thing Verbeek has against him. We lack a decent partner for Jako so bolster defensive mid!!

We have good attacking players but we seem to have lost whatever system was helping us score. We look great going forward and then.....phhhhhhht!

I think Verbeek is a decent manager and I've loved him so far but he's the boss and the boss cops the flack for his team. When you coach in the A-League for Adelaide it's pretty bloody pointless complaining about lack of resources. It ain't gonna change.
Last edited by Jessesdad on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damo

Postby Damo Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:07 pm

Surely, one of the questions that has to be asked is whether Verbeek is as critical of his own work as he is of the players. Kicking Kitto in the teeth may look tough but he is a player who gets little game time, isn't a natural defender and is unlikely to benefit from public humiliation. Leaders need to take responsibility publicly and deal with real issues behind closed doors. We've looked poor for some time now and I'm not seeing much change in the way we go about things. After a few losses it's becoming obvious that the younger players like D'Arrigo are struggling. He's been amazing but he's not yet 20. Maybe sure up the back by putting Vinnie or Marrone alongside him and give the defence a bit more confidence. And then - and I know this is a pet complaint of mine - playing Elsey and Strain and Kitto before Marrone simply beggars belief. Elsey is half the player he was. Kitto is....not a defender but he tries. Strain is very hot and cold. Marrone is stable and smart. But he's not tall. That seems to be the only thing Verbeek has against him. We lack a decent partner for Jako so bolster defensive mid!!

We have good attacking players but we seem to have lost whatever system was helping us score. We loo great going forward and then.....phhhhhhht!

I think Verbeek is a decent manager and I've loved him so far but he's the boss and the boss cops the flack for his team. When you coach in the A-League for Adelaide it's pretty bloody pointless complaining about lack of resources. It ain't gonna change.
Spot on as always Jessesdad! We all agree on where we see kitto in this team and singling him out publicly like that (considering hes on a two year contract) does very little for us. I would have preferred if he'd given our whole defense a serve as they were all in struggle town.

Also, something which has occurred to me in recent games, we are giving opposition attacking mids way too much time on the ball before someone closes them down on the edge of the area. This game highlighted it. You'd think we'd have D'Arrigio shadowing old man Castro for the entire 90 however he was left to roam freely and pull strings for most of the game with a number of other glory players (look at the second goal). I love the kid but i think he still needs time to develop and it goes back to what many were calling for at the start of the season - An Isaias replacement. Troisi has actually done a good job providing defensive cover but its not where hes best used and its still not enough. People forget that this is actually the same defense (minus Isaias in mid) that were looking really solid at the back end of last season including kitto at left back.

So to me its more about 1 our recruiting and 2 Verbeeks tactics that aren't closing down midfield that are leaving to our defense exposed and were seeing them make mistakes and this is the result. The "we don't need to set up defensively, we'll just score more goals than them" tactic only works if you're scoring.
UnitedPants
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: -

Postby UnitedPants Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:48 pm

This is the team that won the FFA Cup!
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:46 pm

Amazing how so many posters on here know Kitto personally and how he ticks. They obviously know him much better than the coach that sees him every day, at training, before and after matches, in team bonding moments, etc. What if Verbeek has given Kitto specific instructions, like "make sure you close them down" or "don't give them room to shoot from the edge of the box" or similar? What if Verbeek's been trying to coach/motivate/encourage the players to cut out the individual mistakes week after week over this poor patch of results ... and the quiet behind the scenes encouraging hasn't produced a change? And maybe Kitto getting a roast will inspire the rest of our defenders to pick up their game or face similar?

I'd like to see how Kitto (and the rest of the players) play next time, rather than piling in on Verbeek.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:00 pm

We have good attacking players but we seem to have lost whatever system was helping us score. We loo great going forward and then.....phhhhhhht!

Agree entirely!

I'm no Lia fan but if was signed on surely it was to support D'Arrigo, bolster defensive coverage, provide leadership. To not use him when we're
1. In a slump
2. Missing CM's
3. Away to SFC and Perth
Is crazy, why pay his wages at all? He's a break-glass kind of squad player and let me tell you, the building is on fire.

The only thing against Marrone and Lia for that matter is age (and I know I'm a huge advocate for the yoof, we just need a little balance).
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:45 am

Amazing how so many posters on here know Kitto personally and how he ticks. They obviously know him much better than the coach that sees him every day, at training, before and after matches, in team bonding moments, etc. What if Verbeek has given Kitto specific instructions, like "make sure you close them down" or "don't give them room to shoot from the edge of the box" or similar? What if Verbeek's been trying to coach/motivate/encourage the players to cut out the individual mistakes week after week over this poor patch of results ... and the quiet behind the scenes encouraging hasn't produced a change? And maybe Kitto getting a roast will inspire the rest of our defenders to pick up their game or face similar?

I'd like to see how Kitto (and the rest of the players) play next time, rather than piling in on Verbeek.
That's a possible reality - but it's as much conjecture as anyone else's comments.
As for myself, I'm not "piling in on Verbeek", just suggesting that, as manager, he's at least as responsible for the run of form as anyone else and that - if he intends 'roasting' people - he might also acknowledge his own part in the process.
I continue to believe he's the right manager for us right now and I'll back him all the way. I don't have to like everything he does though. It's not a binary situation.
As for Kitto, I have no idea what he's like, but I have seen him play for years and I'm as clear as anyone else about his capacity and the game time he's getting. If Verbeek's comments are 'last chance' salvo then fine. But most humans don't respond well to that sort of thing unless they're very confident of their place in the scheme of things.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”