Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

RedTide
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Re: Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby RedTide Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:01 pm

Just when you thought that a wonderful weekend couldn't get any better .... as the Central Toast beat WU, the filth are now TENTH.

As John Motson said in England's 5 - 1 triumph over Germany in Munich - "This just gets better and better!"
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:23 pm

The highlights!

:boogie: :boogie:

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:36 pm

I think its worthwhile reflecting on some of the knee jerk assumptions held by fans as utter fact as recent as a month ago without considering the big picture or allowing players to settle.

Marrone- clueless at cb
Maria - a dud signing waste of a spot
Opseth- another dud striker
Gertjan - a trouble maker will cause a rift at the club.

No dm cover - the club clearly know less about their players on the track than us who never attend a training seasion.
We lack depth- ... actually lol.

I don't think anyone (at least on this forum anyway) argued the the stuff highlighted in bold.

Marrone - People wanted another natural CB to increase depth and so Marrone cam compete with Strain for the RB spot. I don't recall anyone saying he was clueless there.
Opseth and Maria - I don't remember anyone arguing that they were duds. I did argue that we may have jumped the gun on Maria and could have used that visa spot on another position.
Gertjan - People correctly pointed out that he has lost his dressing room in the past but no one said it will definitely happen here.
Depth - The kids have stepped up but we are a tad light on wing depth for now, hopefully Pacifique and Carlo kick on and can challenge for a spot in the first team soon.

As for DM cover, going into the season we looked very light there given Vinni was the only natural DM on a senior contract. The club was looking for a DM but wasn't able to sign anyone. Verbeek also said on a couple of occasions that players like D'Arrigo can come in and do a job for a couple of games but can't be expected to play every week. Surely you can see why people were concerned with our DM depth going into the season?
Im not sure why you felt the need to be on the defensive in regard the quoted post. The post could very easily be read as a marco Kurz and defensive football critique .

It was aimed at general musings of AUFC fans, not a particular person , forum or social media app.

Im obviously paraphrasing narratives and opinions people have expressed over the offseason so to say “ x was not said word for word “is missing my point.

The main point is straight from the gospel of Craig Foster in that this is what happens when manager , football director and board all move to the same rhythm and want to promote good attractive football with a mix of international and local talent. As previously shown my ange , gumby and amor and sometimes things need to get worse before they can evolve.

The foresight of Piet to stick to his ideals of the game and create an environment that we now have surely is a huge factor to our early success
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
milan_7
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: McGree

Postby milan_7 Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:44 pm

Saturday was such a big statement, everything Bruce and Van der Pol have put into place was vindicated and we really looked dominant. Halloran, Lia and Blackwood are the only non-SA Aussies in this squad, mental and unsure if there has ever been such a local squad in A-League history. IMO we are one of the few A-League clubs with a pure identity, our fanbase tends to have a set of things we like and it is really great that we have that, we are a proper football club when to be honest I think a lot of the clubs fall into the 'franchise' mould. Sure 12k is a disappointing turnout for a Victory game, but keep having matches like that at Hindmarsh and people will keep coming back, so much to be excited about at this club right now and to be honest we have a real chance here of making history and going after a treble.

Also, Verbeek 3-1 Kurz, de ja vu of when they met in Germany
https://www.transfermarkt.com/spielberi ... ht/2584002
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Postby mikeewanuk Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:21 pm

Does anyone know the name of that dreadful song that was played at the end of the game? I never want to hear that again. Complete with trombone it sounded like a 1950s footy victory song. Completely out of place at Coopers.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:34 pm

Just in case you're being serious, that song was Rolling Along, and it was around AUFC a long time before Wonderwall... it's an old US army marching song that was repurposed.. It's cheesy but it's ours.
Come on boys, make some noise,
We’re a team of class and poise,
And our Adelaide is rolling along,

We will fight, we have heart,
We’re United from the start,

Let the nation see, our best artillery,
Shout out our numbers loud and strong, SHOUT IT OUT,
For wherever you go, you will always know,
That United is rolling along,

In the day or in the night,
Action left and action right,

In the stands hear us shout,
We’re United have no doubt,

Yes United is rolling along,
Yeah United is rolling along…,
United!.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:14 pm

Saturday was such a big statement, everything Bruce and Van der Pol have put into place was vindicated and we really looked dominant. Halloran, Lia and Blackwood are the only non-SA Aussies in this squad, mental and unsure if there has ever been such a local squad in A-League history. IMO we are one of the few A-League clubs with a pure identity, our fanbase tends to have a set of things we like and it is really great that we have that, we are a proper football club when to be honest I think a lot of the clubs fall into the 'franchise' mould. Sure 12k is a disappointing turnout for a Victory game, but keep having matches like that at Hindmarsh and people will keep coming back, so much to be excited about at this club right now and to be honest we have a real chance here of making history and going after a treble.

Also, Verbeek 3-1 Kurz, de ja vu of when they met in Germany
https://www.transfermarkt.com/spielberi ... ht/2584002
And with the same set up...

4-2-3-1
https://www.soccerstand.com/match/EatFHQzh/#lineups;1

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:07 pm

Does anyone know the name of that dreadful song that was played at the end of the game? I never want to hear that again. Complete with trombone it sounded like a 1950s footy victory song. Completely out of place at Coopers.
I wonder if a song actually exists that ALL AU fans would be happy to hear at a game?
Personally most the music played, if repeated enough will make me think of attending football at Hindmarsh when I hear it. There isn't many things that will put me in a better mood!

I wasn't a massive fan of this song till it got played repeatedly at Hindmarsh. Now it just reminds me of warm Summer nights cheering AU on in the North Stand.
Time to Djbate!
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:54 am

Seems we won against a couple of teams whilst I was away across the ditch…
Reds United
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcelo Carrusca

Postby Reds United Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:47 am

Just in case you're being serious, that song was Rolling Along, and it was around AUFC a long time before Wonderwall... it's an old US army marching song that was repurposed.. It's cheesy but it's ours.
Come on boys, make some noise,
We’re a team of class and poise,

We will fight, we have heart,
We’re United from the start,

In the stands hear us shout,
We’re United have no doubt,

Yes United is rolling along,
Yeah United is rolling along…,
United!.

Relevant in terms of its lyrics, but a dreadful song. Like Wonderwall, it does not inspire the fans. Yes, what is needed is a song that people is easy to sing along to. Rolling Along sounds like an old Aussie Rules club song. It just isn't Adelaide United!! Let Melbourne City have Wonderwall all to itself!
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:31 pm

I think its worthwhile reflecting on some of the knee jerk assumptions held by fans as utter fact as recent as a month ago without considering the big picture or allowing players to settle.

Marrone- clueless at cb
Maria - a dud signing waste of a spot
Opseth- another dud striker
Gertjan - a trouble maker will cause a rift at the club.

No dm cover - the club clearly know less about their players on the track than us who never attend a training seasion.
We lack depth- ... actually lol.

I don't think anyone (at least on this forum anyway) argued the the stuff highlighted in bold.

Marrone - People wanted another natural CB to increase depth and so Marrone cam compete with Strain for the RB spot. I don't recall anyone saying he was clueless there.
Opseth and Maria - I don't remember anyone arguing that they were duds. I did argue that we may have jumped the gun on Maria and could have used that visa spot on another position.
Gertjan - People correctly pointed out that he has lost his dressing room in the past but no one said it will definitely happen here.
Depth - The kids have stepped up but we are a tad light on wing depth for now, hopefully Pacifique and Carlo kick on and can challenge for a spot in the first team soon.

As for DM cover, going into the season we looked very light there given Vinni was the only natural DM on a senior contract. The club was looking for a DM but wasn't able to sign anyone. Verbeek also said on a couple of occasions that players like D'Arrigo can come in and do a job for a couple of games but can't be expected to play every week. Surely you can see why people were concerned with our DM depth going into the season?
Im not sure why you felt the need to be on the defensive in regard the quoted post. The post could very easily be read as a marco Kurz and defensive football critique .

It was aimed at general musings of AUFC fans, not a particular person , forum or social media app.

Im obviously paraphrasing narratives and opinions people have expressed over the offseason so to say “ x was not said word for word “is missing my point.

The main point is straight from the gospel of Craig Foster in that this is what happens when manager , football director and board all move to the same rhythm and want to promote good attractive football with a mix of international and local talent. As previously shown my ange , gumby and amor and sometimes things need to get worse before they can evolve.

The foresight of Piet to stick to his ideals of the game and create an environment that we now have surely is a huge factor to our early success
Sorry for the late response.

The reason I was so defensive is because I took your post as a subtle dig at anyone who criticised the club in pre-season whilst strawmanning their arguments. The reason I took it that way is because I haven't seen or heard anyone argue those things.

Judging by your response, it seems that wasn't the case and I apologise for taking your post the wrong way.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”