Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

ChillyPhilly
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Re: Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby ChillyPhilly Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:53 am

Oh what a night!

Highlight for me was the instant response to their goal.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:17 am

Oh what a night!

Highlight for me was the instant response to their goal.
I don't think it was just a response..... it was a statement.

NOT IN OUR ****ING HOUSE
mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:23 am

Who knows how long it will last (hopefully the rest of the season) but we have so much momentum at the moment and it's a joy to watch.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:27 am

What a performance!

We were outstanding and could have scored a lot more. I don’t think we’ve dominated a side in that fashion for years (maybe the 5-2 win against the Jets comes close). Everyone played well but D’Arrigo, McGree and Jakobsen were the standouts from a very good bunch.

The thing that excites me the most is when someone is missing, someone else comes in and steps up. Blackwood came in and played well while Marrone has done really well in Elsey’s absence.

I think Blackwood could have a breakout season after he gets a few more games to get the rust out of his system and builds some confidence, just like Mileusnic did last season.
Last edited by sub007 on Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:41 am

George is very polarizing, the group I sat around thought he was terrible, other forums and social media thought he was average, I thought he had a decent game and then people here think he was great.

For mine he was wasteful running towards goal, but with his back turned he laid off some good little passes and held it up well.
sub007

Postby sub007 Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:50 am

George is very polarizing, the group I sat around thought he was terrible, other forums and social media thought he was average, I thought he had a decent game and then people here think he was great.

For mine he was wasteful running towards goal, but with his back turned he laid off some good little passes and held it up well.
I agree with your take but I was impressed with his physicality as well. In the past, he hasn’t been strong enough and has allowed himself to be bullied by opposition defenders but he was doing the bullying last night.

I think he will be more clinical when he gets some more minutes under his belt, like Nikola did last season.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:06 am

Not much talk about Troisi but for mine he was close to our best. Involved in everything, his vision and range of passing from that deep position is really impressive imo. He is the one controlling the tempo of the game. I was a massive doubter about signing Troisi, just as I was a doubter about letting Kurz go ... very glad to be wrong.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:44 am

Not much talk about Troisi but for mine he was close to our best. Involved in everything, his vision and range of passing from that deep position is really impressive imo. He is the one controlling the tempo of the game. I was a massive doubter about signing Troisi, just as I was a doubter about letting Kurz go ... very glad to be wrong.
He was good, but such was our performance I don't reckon he was in the top 5.

I thought he had talent left but the attitude was a worry. How wrong we were, he's got a point to prove and he's completely bought in to the club and we fans.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby bpowell454 Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:19 pm

I agree with your take but I was impressed with his physicality as well. In the past, he hasn’t been strong enough and has allowed himself to be bullied by opposition defenders but he was doing the bullying last night.

I think he will be more clinical when he gets some more minutes under his belt, like Nikola did last season.
I thought he was ok. Got in some decent positions and could have scored two or three goals if he didn't put them straight at the keeper. He puts those away or at least works the keeper a bit more and it's a much better performance IMO. He's frustrating in that he plays well but doesn't finish his chances or he'll play average and then score a goal out of nowhere.
Philbyramone
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Iaiais

Postby Philbyramone Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:59 pm

Mile should have scored 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:10 pm

For me this seasons team ( so far ) is the best balanced and most exciting team aufc has ever had. Gertjans results so far exceed what gumby and amor achieved in a short space of time.

Im happy for opseth to start over toure, ge brings others into the game with his fantastic touches and his attitude is fantastic.

If another aussie centre back was continually intercepting passes and being a general pest the way marrone has recently people would be calling for a roos call up. While that ship has probably sailed for him given his age he is playing very well!
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:49 pm

What a match - what a coach we have - and what a team we have. Shin was right - we've never had a a better side and I rate us against every side in the league now. I'm not sure that we have ever been able to say that before, even in Amor's pomp.

It seems to churlish to pick out individuals on what was an incredible team effort, but Maria was superb, McGree has gone up another level and D'Arrigo was simply the best on the pitch - and he is barely 18! There are DCMs in the major leagues in Europe who cannot direct and shape the game the way that he can. A Socceroos call up can only be a matter of time - and then we will inevitably lose him overseas. Let's enjoy what he brings while he can. I said at the start of the season that Marko Boland was suddenly our most important player, in the absence of Isaias - sob! - but I will happily admit that I was wrong. Boland is now second to Louis D'Arrigo and I can't quite believe what I just wrote.

Troisi is really settling into his role at the base of the midfield and seems happy to swap between the traditional #6 and #9 roles. As the other players learn around him, his effectiveness will only increase.

Opseth had the best match of his short time with us and he is very definitely worth persevering with. You can see that he is still feeling his way into the Australian game, but he will be a a diamond once he finds his feet and rhythm. Remember that it took Isa at least 6 months to find his way in this league and there were plenty on this forum calling for his head, before he came good and turned into the midfield general that we all know and love.

Once again, I have to make a special mention to the referee, Alireza Faghani - yes, I finally learnt his name - who has quickly established himself as the best ref in the league. He let the game flow when it needed to flow, had a few quiet chats when certain players needed to pull their heads in - but didn't hesitate to pull a card on Toivonen, in just the 4th minute, when he got lippy. That is the way to ref a game; I wish that we could have him every week.

As to the filth, their fans on their forum are fuming - and rightly so. I've never seen a worse filth side; they can't even hold play up, let alone create much. They almost all looked static and bereft of ideas. How Corey Brown and Basha even get a game is beyond me. I laughed out loud when Basha took a free kick and somehow contrived to smash the ball into a ONE MAN 'wall'. That takes a special kind of ineptitude.

You have to wonder how much longer Maro Kurz will have with the filth. My prediction at the start of the season was that Robbie Fowler would be the first coach to be sacked this season - not because he is a rubbish coach, because he isn't, but because he inherited what I thought was the worst list in the competition. Now I'm beginning to think that Marco Kurz could be the first one for the chop, for precisely that reason; if I was the filth coach (God forbid), the only players who would be guaranteed starts would be Toivonen and their youngster Lauton, who was willing, if not able. Everyone else would be dropped for whoever their youth equivalent was.

For us, it just gets better and better. We have our traditional bunnies next week, in Wellington and it's really hard to see them taking a goal off us, let alone winning. I can't recall the last time that WP won a match at Coopers - does anyone know?
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:47 pm

I think its worthwhile reflecting on some of the knee jerk assumptions held by fans as utter fact as recent as a month ago without considering the big picture or allowing players to settle.

Marrone- clueless at cb
Maria - a dud signing waste of a spot
Opseth- another dud striker
Gertjan - a trouble maker will cause a rift at the club.
No dm cover - the club clearly know less about their players on the track than us who never attend a training seasion.
We lack depth- ... actually lol.

I think the credit needs to go to Gertjan, Bruce and Piet for creating an environment and style that encourages players to play football just like they would in the park or on playstation. I think this is the best environment for bringing in youth and just letting them play rather than being shackled by defensive duties

This was proven by gombau, amor and postecoglou previously. Getjan has ( so far) done the same but in half the time.

Still a long season to go though!
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sub007

Postby sub007 Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:50 pm

I think its worthwhile reflecting on some of the knee jerk assumptions held by fans as utter fact as recent as a month ago without considering the big picture or allowing players to settle.

Marrone- clueless at cb
Maria - a dud signing waste of a spot
Opseth- another dud striker
Gertjan - a trouble maker will cause a rift at the club.

No dm cover - the club clearly know less about their players on the track than us who never attend a training seasion.
We lack depth- ... actually lol.

I don't think anyone (at least on this forum anyway) argued the the stuff highlighted in bold.

Marrone - People wanted another natural CB to increase depth and so Marrone cam compete with Strain for the RB spot. I don't recall anyone saying he was clueless there.
Opseth and Maria - I don't remember anyone arguing that they were duds. I did argue that we may have jumped the gun on Maria and could have used that visa spot on another position.
Gertjan - People correctly pointed out that he has lost his dressing room in the past but no one said it will definitely happen here.
Depth - The kids have stepped up but we are a tad light on wing depth for now, hopefully Pacifique and Carlo kick on and can challenge for a spot in the first team soon.

As for DM cover, going into the season we looked very light there given Vinni was the only natural DM on a senior contract. The club was looking for a DM but wasn't able to sign anyone. Verbeek also said on a couple of occasions that players like D'Arrigo can come in and do a job for a couple of games but can't be expected to play every week. Surely you can see why people were concerned with our DM depth going into the season?
sub007

Postby sub007 Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:52 pm

Agree completely.

Troisi still comes across as a knob and I still dislike him but his form has been good and his commitment has been first class.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”