Preview: Giant Sauce Bottles v AUFC

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Preview: Giant Sauce Bottles v AUFC

Postby blahblah Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:26 pm

So we have the Mariners and their famous inflatables at Gosford this Saturday.

it is great to see D'Arrigo back and will be interesting to see how he and Troisi gel in the middle of the park.

Toure is off for the Olyroos while the Mariners have lost McGlinchey to the All-Whites and Rowles to the Olyroos.

Adelaide United squad: 2.Michael MARRONE, 4.Ryan STRAIN, 5.Michaël MARIA, 6.Vince LIA, 7.Ryan KITTO, 8.Riley McGREE, 10.James TROISI, 11.Kristian OPSETH, 14.George BLACKWOOD, 16.Nathan KONSTANDOPOULOS, 17.Nikola MILEUSNIĆ, 18.Lachlan BROOK, 20.Paul IZZO, 22.Michael JAKOBSEN (c), 23.Jordan ELSEY, 26.Ben HALLORAN, 27.Louis D’ARRIGO, 30.Isaac RICHARDS (gk), 36.Noah SMITH, 37.Jai KING
**2-4 to be omitted**

Ins: 14.George BLACKWOOD (returns from injury), 18.Lachlan BROOK (returns from international duty), 23.Jordan ELSEY (returns from injury), 27.Louis D’ARRIGO (returns from international duty), 37.Jai KING (promoted)
Outs: 35.Al Hassan TOURE (international duty)
Unavailable: 1.Daniel MARGUŠ (international duty), 31.Mirko BOLAND (knee
shinAUFC

Re: Preview: Giant Sauce Bottles v AUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:55 pm

Yeah it will be very interesting to see where troisi slots in.

My feeling is against brisbane he played quite deep but for the most part still played as if he was out playmaker still managing to put a few balls through the packed defence.

I think troisi’s position will depend on the managers belief in D'arrigo. If he feels d’arrigos distribution is up to par we will see troisi slot into the role maria played.

I do like the idea of a completely homegrown midfield.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
milan_7
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: McGree

Postby milan_7 Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:25 pm

I think we actually missed D'Arrigo quite a bit last week, I was shocked when Troisi was given MOTM last week - thought he was bang average in the first half. Second half he moved a bit further forward and obviously his assist was class but I did not like him playing the DM role at all.
For me a midfield of:
D'Arrigo
Troisi-McGree

I think it picks itself, Jako and Elsey at centre back, Marrone or Strain at RB (Marrone was brilliant last week IMO should have been MOTM) and Kitto at LB. I presume Mileusnic, Halloran and Opseth up top this week.

Bench of Richards, Strain/Marrone, Lia, Maria, Blackwood - to be honest I don't get the though process as to why we are still persisting with 5 on the bench, think it would be good to have Konstandopolous and Lachlan Brook on there too.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:43 am

Agree with all this but Maria for Kitto at LB for me.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:02 am

Michaël Maria speaks to the press.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:38 am

Why is Troisi even finding himself at DM? That's not his position at all.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:45 am

I don't think he ever was. Boland was injured, D'Arrigo on international duty and we were facing the Fowler led Brisbane. I suspect Verbeek figured, correctly, that Brisbane would sit deep and hence he dispensed with midfield cover for the back four and went with a deep lying play-maker instead.
UnitedPants
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: -

Postby UnitedPants Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:17 pm

ABC TV and iView 4:30pm
Boland still out...crikey
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:52 pm

I don't think he ever was. Boland was injured, D'Arrigo on international duty and we were facing the Fowler led Brisbane. I suspect Verbeek figured, correctly, that Brisbane would sit deep and hence he dispensed with midfield cover for the back four and went with a deep lying play-maker instead.
This!

If anyone actually watched the game, Troisi did not have many defensive responsibilities you would expect someone who is playing as a Dm might have.

He was simply put in a position our best man on the ball could have time and space to set up play due to brisbanes ultra defensive style and it nearly worked !! There were numerous attacks troisi played a part in the first half that were impressive given the circumstances.

Our previous teams under Gombau and Amor would not have even penetrated the box with 2 solid lines of defenders.

People get so caught up with positional labels without actually watching the movement of the team.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:57 pm

If anyone ever saw conte’s juventus with Pirlo playing against a mid/ lower table team ... this match was very similar, one cannot say Pirlo is known for his defensive abilities
milan_7
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: McGree

Postby milan_7 Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:40 pm

This!

If anyone actually watched the game, Troisi did not have many defensive responsibilities you would expect someone who is playing as a Dm might have.

He was simply put in a position our best man on the ball could have time and space to set up play due to brisbanes ultra defensive style and it nearly worked !! There were numerous attacks troisi played a part in the first half that were impressive given the circumstances.

Our previous teams under Gombau and Amor would not have even penetrated the box with 2 solid lines of defenders.

People get so caught up with positional labels without actually watching the movement of the team.
I think pretty much everyone on here would have watched the game mate. Sure he was playing as a playmaker, but I thought his passing and effect on the game particularly in its early stages was lacklustre. He was getting on the ball a lot but for me looked bang average playing that deep, just my opinion.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:43 pm

This!

I think pretty much everyone on here would have watched the game mate. Sure he was playing as a playmaker, but I thought his passing and effect on the game particularly in its early stages was lacklustre. He was getting on the ball a lot but for me looked bang average playing that deep, just my opinion.
You dont think that had something to do do with the 2 walls of roar players parking the bus and it being his first start in 6 months?

These things dont happen in a vacuum.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:27 pm

Gertjan speaks to the press.

The more I hear from him the more I like him.
His football philosophy and the sort of bloke he is.

Interesting point concerning the injured CCM Olyroo players though with open statement of intent from the Great Leader regarding the young players and international call ups if there are any shonkys.
( cue rolling indignation at the "ausländer".)

Plus insightful point regarding the returning young national team players

But I must say some of the questions asked are really vague and show a lack of "general football knowledge".
And I'm nor referring to Val.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Preview: Giant Sauce Bottles v AUFC

Postby EdDog Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:27 pm

This!

You dont think that had something to do do with the 2 walls of roar players parking the bus and it being his first start in 6 months?

These things dont happen in a vacuum.
I think Milan was just saying Troisi didn't deserve the MotM - some sloppy passes in the first half, played better in the second and great play to assist the goal. Doesn't mean he had a stinker but just wasn't worthy of best-on. But Milan can speak for himself

Troisi did admirably at DM against a deep-sitting Roar but I wouldn't want to see him there every week and I don't think we will with D'Arrigo back.

Personally I would have given Izzo the medal. Saved our bacon multiple times.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:37 pm

Sure he was playing as a playmaker, but I thought his passing and effect on the game particularly in its early stages was lacklustre. He was getting on the ball a lot but for me looked bang average playing that deep, just my opinion.
I agree he looks better up the pitch, though I don't mind him developing deep lying play-maker nouse as it gives us an extra string to the tactical bow.

I'd imagine against the Mariners we will be looking for that midfield cover and see D'Arrigo back in the midfield with Troisi in a more advanced role.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”