FFA CUP FINAL! Adelaide United v Melbourne City 2019/2020

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sub007
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Re: FFA CUP FINAL! Adelaide United v Melbourne City 2019/2020

Postby sub007 Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:54 pm

When you have local players they can get up for the big games like this, unlike the mercenaries.

Talent will get you so far but a bit of heart can get you further.
This.

A great portion of that side were locals, it just means more.

I tell you what, all of a sudden goals are coming from everywhere and we've got Blackwood and Troisi still to find a spot.
Agree with both of you.

We got Kusini Yengi still to come back from injury as well.
He was every bit as good as Toure from the little I've seen
Awesome to hear.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:19 pm

Four home finals. Four wins.
This is total dreamland for a fan.
What a great night. What a stadium. What a club. What a coach. What a TEAM!!!!!!!
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:30 pm

What a game. 🙂
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:35 pm

OMG!
I can not believe it!
4-0

Before I even start reading this thread, i just have to say YOU BLOODY BEAUTY!!!
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:51 pm

Peak Twitter

shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:45 am

Heard some talk that toures goal was a cross, no way! He looked up and positioned his shoulders in a way that would suggest near post.

If we had a visa striker that held up play this well and showed the awareness and lethal striker power as toure we would not believe it, this from a kid who wasnt even going to play behind our other youth league striker... utterly astounding.

After the second goal toure became emotional, i noticed Maria was the first guy to give his some calming words and put his arm around him, we need this from out visa plays imo.

Who cares about a tight back four when you can score goals! This season will be exciting but next season...... if we can hang onto these kids ... wow
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:52 am

What a lovely way to wake up in the morning!
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: FFA CUP FINAL! Adelaide United v Melbourne City 2019/2020

Postby EdDog Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:42 am

Heard some talk that toures goal was a cross, no way! He looked up and positioned his shoulders in a way that would suggest near post.

If we had a visa striker that held up play this well and showed the awareness and lethal striker power as toure we would not believe it, this from a kid who wasnt even going to play behind our other youth league striker... utterly astounding.

After the second goal toure became emotional, i noticed Maria was the first guy to give his some calming words and put his arm around him, we need this from out visa plays imo.

Who cares about a tight back four when you can score goals! This season will be exciting but next season...... if we can hang onto these kids ... wow
I'd say he's tryna cross it there. Lost his balance and couldn't quite wrap his foot around it enough to drag it away from the keeper. Got lucky that Bouzanis wasn't covering his near post like any competent keeper. But it's pretty 50/50 and can see where you're coming from.

With the local talent turning it on it's certainly overshadowing the lack of visa players we have out there.

I'd like to see a midfield of McGree, D'Arrigo and Troisi when he's fit. Let's move Boland on and pick up a better visa in January.

[Edit]
Toure is claiming he was going for goal (as all strikers would!). Well done to the lad.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:10 am

When i first saw it I was flabbergasted at the quality.
Toure just slapped that one in at the near post.

We are going to see a lot of quality goals from that young man.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:45 am

Yep.
All the goals featured great buildup play too - this was a big team effort. Aside from the obvious stars of the night Toure and McGree, everyone played their roles. Won't see them on the highlights reel but D'Arrigo and Maria played really well together, both extremely comfortable on the ball and structurally smart.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Reds United
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcelo Carrusca

Postby Reds United Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:13 am

Congratulations Adelaide United. Fantastic win. After returning home, I watched the game and post game show that I had recorded on Fox. For once, we even had Andrew Harper and Robbie Slater actually give the credit the club deserves. Tara Rushton, Robbie Slater and Andrew Harper actually concluded that it was a "privilege" to witness what happened last night. What an achievement to have won the FFA Cup three times and be a losing Finalist ( We were robbed on that occasion!) in another after six FFA Cup campaigns. Go you Reds!!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:54 am

I will say that we were lucky City didn't jag a goal early because the game would have been very different momentum-wise. They were targeting Kitto with long diagonal balls and he was beaten a few times, that strategy could well have paid off for them.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:41 pm

Still buzzing from last night. I feel enormously privileged to be an AU fan. They just keep gifting us momentous nights and great memories.
After that first goal (and I so don't care if it was a shot or a cross) did you notice that McGree fed Halloran then Halloran fed Nikola and then Nikola fed McGree for the next three? Front half of our team doing amazingly well and doing it unselfishly. Brilliant cameo from Opseth too. He doesn't sulk, he just comes on and tries to contribute. Great foot skills and passing range.
Also, while I think Toure deserved his medal for MoM I would have been very happy to see it go to our new captain, Jacobson. He was immense last night and - despite Isaias being a legend truly missed - he led with real fire and skill. He looks like the dad of the team! I wondered if he'd make it up those steps after the game, he gave so much. Marrone brilliant beside him too.
But last night belongs to Verbeeck. This team is transformed under his leadership and free to play football with his trust and encouragement. No more hopeless forays down the wings with crosses to no-one. Ball on the ground, cut-back to players running in (lining up!!) to score.
Love it.
Last edited by Jessesdad on Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:56 pm

My belated contribution. OH WHAT A NIGHT!

Melbourne City came four-nothing.

We won the Cup
Not once, or twice
But thrice!
Peak Twitter

This is some wholesome content.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
tinby
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Toure

Re: RE: Re: FFA CUP FINAL! Adelaide United v Melbourne City 2019/2020

Postby tinby Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:20 pm

I'd say he's tryna cross it there. Lost his balance and couldn't quite wrap his foot around it enough to drag it away from the keeper. Got lucky that Bouzanis wasn't covering his near post like any competent keeper. But it's pretty 50/50 and can see where you're coming from.

With the local talent turning it on it's certainly overshadowing the lack of visa players we have out there.

I'd like to see a midfield of McGree, D'Arrigo and Troisi when he's fit. Let's move Boland on and pick up a better visa in January.

[Edit]
Toure is claiming he was going for goal (as all strikers would!). Well done to the lad.

Toure recreated that amazing Ned Zelic goal against the Dutch Olympic team.
Both goals were between front post and keeper a cross didn't even enter his mind.( Is this kid a citizen? Would be great to see him in a yellow shirt)

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”