Adelaide United v Sydney FC Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Rojos
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Re: Adelaide United v Sydney FC Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby Rojos Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:10 pm

Some thoughts

- I like Verbeeks intent, more like Gombau. Kurz would have started Opseth and Maria, Lia would have got 90min and we'd have a point. I'll take the youngsters and an entertaining game.

- Where would D'Arrigo be now if Kurz gave him some minutes ahead of Lia last year?

- I'd drop Elsey for Marrone next week. Elsey strikes me as the type to give 100% during the match but coasts at training and thinks it will just happen

-McGree might be the best footballer this club has produced, more potential than Leckie and Burns IMO

- Toure is the anti-Djite, don't see a heap of him but find the net

- Love this young local side and looking forward to the season ahead 😀
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:16 pm

Can someone summarise the second half for me? Joined in at the 80th and was pleased to see we had equalised but were down to 10!
Shattering to concede that late goal.
Love the kids' work. Need some cover at CB and I doubt the Chinese is going to bring it.
Really need to offload Boland imo. Don't need him in midfield after tonight's performance from the kids and with Troisi still to come in.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:16 pm

Very promising start IMO.

I cant say ive seen an AUFC ever have the same hunger for the ball as tonight, not even under the gombau era, infact the way we closed down with only 10 men was impressive. Sure it allowed gaps but i can support a team with that kind of intent.

Remember we started without Maria, Opseth, Boland and the big one Troisi.

We routinely created chances with a midfield comprising of d’arrigo in his second game and blackwood against the reigning champs!
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:19 pm

Some thoughts

- I like Verbeeks intent, more like Gombau. Kurz would have started Opseth and Maria, Lia would have got 90min and we'd have a point. I'll take the youngsters and an entertaining game.

- Where would D'Arrigo be now if Kurz gave him some minutes ahead of Lia last year?

- I'd drop Elsey for Marrone next week. Elsey strikes me as the type to give 100% during the match but coasts at training and thinks it will just happen

-McGree might be the best footballer this club has produced, more potential than Leckie and Burns IMO

- Toure is the anti-Djite, don't see a heap of him but find the net

- Love this young local side and looking forward to the season ahead 😀
Yeah im happy for d’arrigo to grow into the role this season, put mcgree and troisi next to him and he will have plenty if support.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:23 pm

Oh and while not a fan of VAR i do however really like this new offside hawkeye!

Due to the tech the player is either on or off, can conclusively tell if a player is a few mm offside. ( much the harpers disgust)

VAR doesnt work with contentious situations where interpretation is everything though
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:42 pm

Tbh looks like VAR got everything right tonight. Love it or hate it, that's what it's there for.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:06 pm

Crowd size anyone?
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:13 pm

Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:26 pm

Just back from the match.

Another season and some things are the same.
The FFA are fu**wits and send the refs out in the same colour as the opposing team. So easy for players relying on peripheral vision to know that's not a Sydney player. NOT! VAR might be accurate but is killing things. How, in normal time, is that a handball or an obvious error??? Apparently you can do anything to one of our players and still not get carded. We hate refs. Coopers is fantastic. It still takes four and half days to get served a beer.

Some things are different.
We play bloody exciting, attacking football. George Blackwood has been possessed by the demon of a footballer. He's a ten! MOTM for me. We have swapped dull but excellent defensive play with a few hoofs down the wings for a system of playing the best ball and allowing the players to enjoy their game. We have at least one really good forward and another who might be quite good as well. Mile looks like he's ready to show just how good he can be.

Seriously, we could have wrapped that one up in the first half if we'd been a little more lucky, shot straight and hadn't had that ref. But that's football. We didn't. Good players to come in and quite a few who really didn't fire tonight. Strain was woeful even before his red. Welcome back Marrone - who should have started. MacGree simply hasn't clicked into gear as yet. Maria was off the pace. D'Arrigo looked promising but has about 15 games to go before he's really ready. Halloran was not at his best.

If we play like that it's going to be a wonderful roller-coaster of a season and we'll play finals as the wild card. Next year we could be seriously good. And still young.

Still feel gutted we couldn't hold for the draw but look at the Sydney team and imagine what they must have cost. And we could easily have won it.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:49 pm

Shame I wasn't there but watched a stream while sitting by the pool at a beach resort in Mombasa so it's not all bad!

Happy with the intent we're showing this season, last season I was leaving frustrated even if we got the result. Won't be the case now.

Plenty to build on, hope the kids coming through continue to develop. Exciting times!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Reds United
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcelo Carrusca

Postby Reds United Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:43 pm

Well done to all of you that have commented on this forum. It makes a pleasant change from the negativity usually written on social media.
Yes, I loved the free flowing attacking style introduced by Verbeek. We created plenty of chances, especially in the first half and were a little unlucky not to score some of these. The penalty awarded against Jacobsen was farcical. How is Jacobsen penalised when the ball is kicked into him from a metre away and with his back to the ball? Personally, I like the wording of the old rule when it talks about deliberate intent. Only Le Fondre appealed for that.It was not a penalty. That was very harsh.

I liked the fact that Verbeek played two young debutants in Toure and D'Arrigo. Toure put in a promising performance against a star-studded defence and scored a well taken goal. D'Arrigo put in a steady performance and didn't really look out of place. I would have kept both of them on as well as Mileusnic. He played very well and scored with a lovely free kick from outside of the area. I would have taken off an ineffective Halloran and an average/goodish Blackwood. Maybe Mileusnic was taken off because he was tiring. He had done a ton of defensive work. In fact, I commend the whole team for the intensity of their defensive work and especially, Mileusnic and Elsey.

Yes we conceded goals as we were pushing up looking for an equaliser leaving spaces at the back. This was despite playing with ten men. Babourouses was cutting through our defence too easily and he could have scored a few more for them. Only desperate defending denied him. I think that Jacobsen should have positioned himself a little deeper to counter Sydney's tactic of playing the long ball to Babaroouses and Le Fondre to run onto. Sadly, we stopped them from scoring from open play, but conceded the winning goal from a set piece. That was a feeble challenge on Ryan McGowan and he rose too easily head the ball home. That winner was in the 87th minute of a pulsating game and scored by an Adelaide boy.. I am disappointed with the result, but heartened by what I saw of United tonight. Loved the attacking intent. It was a contrast to the pragmatic approach under Kurz. Fast attacking football allied to a great intensity all over the field. All this with players like Troisi, Boland and one final signing to come. Both teams will be challenging for honours at the end of the season.
Last edited by Reds United on Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:33 am

I'm content with the result, On paper they should have creamed us. The hard thing to take is that we could have won, we had some good chances, we played better than them for big chunks of the game.

I genuinely think that the second goal should have been offside. Le Fondre came from an offside position at the goal kick, makes an attempt for the ball and takes Elsey/Jako off balance and they both miss the ball, 2 passes later they score. I don't understand how that can be allowed. I think the red card was just acceptable and necessary from Strain after fluffing the clearance, although it was overly theatrical.

The Sydney team barely appealed for the handball, I don't see how he is supposed to jump with his hands by his side while leaping forwards. If that's the new rule then too bad I guess but I don't like it.

Le Fondre and Barbarouses' tactics seemed to be, contest for the long ball and jump into our centre backs to take them out and then the other attacker runs through onto the loose ball. The referee let them do it all game and it was effective for them. If the ref had pulled them up on it a couple of times early it would have stopped.

Great free kick from Mileusnic and composed goal from Toure, sure the keeper was inexperienced but we had an A-league debut for our striker, they had two socceroos centre backs that went to the world cup.

There are some issues obviously, even though I disagree with the lead up to the second goal, they scored too easily and the same with the third.

Should we have brought Lia on for Darrigo and tried to hold the point? Probably. Was it fantastic to see us go for it and pressure them with 10? Absolutely.

To think that we have Troisi, Boland and Konstandopolous all out and 2 of them could have been in the match day squad too last night with the new extended bench rules. Exciting stuff to come.

Lucky for us that we are hosting the FFA cup otherwise it would have been a month until our next home game!
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:33 am

The sub that surprised me, and perhaps was a mistake by Verbeek was D’Arrigo for Maria. I thought D’Arrigo did a good job, but with 10 men and at that stage of the game, I thought Lia would have been a better option, without sacrificing attacking intent. I guess I imagined Maria as a more attacking player and feel Lia would have been more of a rock.

However, that was a great game. I thought all played well. Took an AFL crazy mate for the first time, who was joking beforehand about 0-0 and players feigning injury. He loved the excitement of the game, the attacking intent, the close misses, the tension. A good night.
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:56 am

You can’t complain about a lack of entertainment. I for one think the var did a great job. The penalty was harsh but if that’s called all season then fine, I’m sure it’ll come back round.

Happy to see United get some young talent out in the 11 and hold it against a team bought to win trophies, I mean really that Sydney line up is huge and to think Zullo, Ghrant and redymane werent in the team.

I think a lot of 3-2 and 4-3 score lines this season, should be the prime time fta team to show the public what Aussie youth and attacking football can do.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:17 am

I agree that Sydney's tactic from high balls forward was to simply to take out our centre backs without really challenging for the ball. It's a height thing, so they'll try and do it all season unless the refs stop it. I felt it was a clear foul on our centre back for Sydney's second goal.

On Halloran ... yes Mileusnic had a great game, but in the last 15 minutes of the first half all our best attacking moves came through Halloran, and overall I thought he played pretty well.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”