CC Mariners v Adelaide United FFA Cup: Semi-final 2019/2020

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: CC Mariners v Adelaide United FFA Cup: Semi-final 2019/2020

Postby EdDog Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:17 pm

We play City in the league (in Melbourne) on the 20th and then return to Adelaide for the final on the 23rd.

Will be an interesting preview. I wonder if any players will be rested for the league game.
Reds United
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcelo Carrusca

Postby Reds United Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:34 pm

I think that it was a pretty ordinary performance by our boys. Sloppy at times with our passing and very wasteful. So many good chances to score. I feel sorry for Isaac Richards having such a poor debut. However, why didn't Margush play? It is evident that we need to recruit a class defensive midfielder. Someone that can dictate the game from deep positions. That player will not only break up opposition attacks but initiate attacks with a good range of passes. An ordinary CCM ran straight through us in the middle of the park at times and this is a concern. I really believe that the club should postpone this arrangement with Qingdao to recruit a Chinese player with the last visa spot. Whilst it may be nearly impossible to find a replacement of Isaias' quality, we still need a good replacement in that midfield. Lia is experienced but is too slow and can't be depended on for such an important role. We also need cover in the defence. A centre back. I don't understand why Verbeek is saying we don't have enough left footed defenders. We do have Kitto and Maria to contest the left back spot. I do think that Maria is probably better at left back rather than left wing. We are not far off being a top side, but we do need to recruit well for those final two spots in our squad.
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:45 am

It was a good, even match and we can thank CCM's brutal captain, Matt Simon, for handing us back the initiative. Even if he hadn't begged the ref to send him off though, I still think that we would have won. CCM were blown out by the 75 minute mark and Tommy Oar stopped running at 60 minutes. I kept waiting for Staj to start making some substitutions, but he didn't, which helped us immensely. Bringing on a fresh player after one of your own is sent off is Junior Coaching Lesson #1.

I was surprised that Margus didn't start; maybe Eugene saw something in Richards. I think it was a qualified pass for Richards; he made one error, but then made up for it with saving the one on one with Murray, who must qualify as the league's least capable striker. I'd still rather see Margus over Richards, but I'm really pleased that clearly Gertjan listens to his positional coaches; as much as I liked and admired Marco, he clearly had his way of doing things and that was that.

The second yellow for Simon was clearly justified; he led with his elbow, caught Elsey in the mouth and opened his mouth up, so that Elsey had to go off to receive medical treatment. There are refs in the Premier League who would give a red for any challenge that causes bleeding. It's a game, not a battle in wartime.

D'Arrigo battled hard, but we desperately need Boland back, to stiffen the spine. There is a giant Isaias shaped hole in our midfield which none of the rest can fill; Boland is suddenly our most important player. Lia is just too slow; sorry mate - the game has gone past you. Time to start thinking about that media career.

I loved the front three idea; it didn't quite work this time, but if Gertjan can get us a fit and firing triple frontline, we will have the most potent attack in the league. Imagine a front 3 of Opseth, McGree and one of Blackwood or Halloran on song together and suddenly this season is looking very promising indeed.

Overall, I would give us a B+. It should be a cracking home final - can't wait!
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:37 pm

I kept waiting for Staj to start making some substitutions, but he didn't, which helped us immensely. Bringing on a fresh player after one of your own is sent off is Junior Coaching Lesson #1

That was rather odd and no doubt was a major talking point amongst the Mariner faithful.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:20 pm

While we certainly are not playing pretty football I think there are some huge positives compared to last That will hopefully pay dividends as the seasons progresses.

The manager has shown no fear in giving the younger kids substantial game time while still playing attacking football this can only be a good thing as the season moves forward as we have already unearthed toure.

Learning a new system will take time, we know this from gombau/ amor era. However the fact that many of our creative players are showing glimpses of class and creativity is a good sign, even blackwood looks a different player.

Theres no point being harsh on Richards, if we want to blood youth yet come down hard on them if they make an error then I think we need to take a solid look at ourselves.

Obviously lacking an anchor in midfield but this has been done to death, I think we all get the point
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:18 pm

Richards was OK imo. Not confident in the air (especially with Elbows McElbowface lurking around) but pretty reasonable with the other facets of his game. He'll get better
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Reds United
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcelo Carrusca

Postby Reds United Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:39 pm

I am sorry Old Gregg,, but I don't think Richards was ok. Apart from not being confident in the air, he spilled a straight forward shot, conceded a goal from a free kick that never should have hit the back of the net and definitely did not command his area. He isn't ready for this level yet. I do acknowledged his fine save, but I just wasn't confident with him dealing with crosses or free kicks.I have witnessed the debut performances of Birighitti, Margush and Hall and they were far more accomplished than Richards. Ok, I realise that he got thrust into a Semi Final game and that was a lot a stake. His nervous performance reflected that. What was Galekovic and Verbeek thinking in playing him ahead of Margush?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:28 pm

I am sorry Old Gregg,, but I don't think Richards was ok. Apart from not being confident in the air, he spilled a straight forward shot, conceded a goal from a free kick that never should have hit the back of the net and definitely did not command his area. He isn't ready for this level yet. I do acknowledged his fine save, but I just wasn't confident with him dealing with crosses or free kicks.I have witnessed the debut performances of Birighitti, Margush and Hall and they were far more accomplished than Richards. Ok, I realise that he got thrust into a Semi Final game and that was a lot a stake. His nervous performance reflected that. What was Galekovic and Verbeek thinking in playing him ahead of Margush?
Do you recall matt ryans debut season?

Had to be the most embarrassing time of his career.

With his debut out the way he can focus on his game now
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:29 pm

Goalkeeping is a confidence position. Its unforgiving. Get a few games under his belt without horror mistakes and he will progress rapidly.
I thought richards showed some good stuff and looked comfortable as it went on. Izzo has good back up in richards and margush.
Everyone seems a little unsure about our team but im weirdly optimistic and happy with where we are at. Bring on the season!!!
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:25 pm

I'm with you Zanzibar. I'm loving the attacking intent. Opseth, Toure, Blackwood, Halloran, McGree. Five out and out attacking players on the field from the start! Yes, we're a bit porous through the midfield because of it, but as long as we keep scoring more than the opposition I'll be happy.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:26 pm

Oh. And I though out backline did well.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:19 am

:boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

Finale!
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
tinby
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Toure

Postby tinby Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:04 am

A great result after a scrappy first half. We always looked the better team.
Lovely goals. Nice to see Richards get big for the one on one and make up for getting stuck under Simon's armpit.
I'm staggered that some people think Simon didn't deserve a card!!!! He's been doing that his whole career. You simply can't jump and swing your elbow into your opponent's face at the same time. It's a technique issue and he has refused to stop doing it. I don't think he's malicious but he's bloody stupid and stubborn and he just cost his team....again. How many times now?
Elsey - who had a ripper for once tonight - was lucky not to lose teeth. It could have been a straight red.
Home final. How good is that?!! We'll have to lift our game again though.
I agree. Totally dumbstruck by those that thought Matt Simon didn't deserve a red! He just plays out of his league all he ever does is with bared teeth gets involved in every skirmish and he constantly uses his swinging elbows to " jump " for the ball. His only ability is to try and intimidate his opposition with his snarl and height. Frankly, I'm amazed he has lasted this long. When Birra used his swinging elbow on Blackwood, the 1st on the scene was Simon with his snarl and push of Elsey, it was a penalty in my book, but was probably the catalyst that led to the red.
Who cares anyway "cause we won!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”