FFA Cup Quarter Final: AUFC v Newcastle Jets

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: FFA Cup Quarter Final: AUFC v Newcastle Jets

Postby bpowell454 Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:42 pm

Not ever, they've had their 3 subs just after half time.

I hope we aren't going to regret not killing off this game.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:52 pm

AU 1-0 NU

So two keeper mistakes settle it today.

Semi- finals here we come again!
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:01 pm

Goodness me.
I'll take the result but we have a lot of work to do.
Forget our other issues, we need a defensive midfielder as soon as possible.
A hole the size of Australia in the middle there!!!
I've no expectation from our Chinese player so we need an Aussie CDM as an immediate priority.
Opseth looked gassed after a few runs. Good luck in the Aussie summer mate. Lucky we have Toure.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:44 pm

Definitely agree on the midfield- Boland-Konstandya-McGree looks very strong on paper but there's something not quite there. I miss Isaias.

Very rusty performance generally, some heavy touches, misplaced passes, weird decision making. We'll get there but yeah- loving Toure so far.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:46 pm

Legit could not tell we were a man up that second half. A bit of work is needed that’s for sure, feel we could have been exposed if 11v11 but the cup experts are through to another semi.

Also Good crowd tonight, forces the club to open the top stand of northern end.
Jumbinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hugene

Postby Jumbinho Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:46 pm

I thought Boland struggled even more in possession. Looked really unsuitable for that role as the deep lying playmaker. Was really ponderous in possession and almost cost us a few times, would be concerning against better pressing opposition.

Otherwise, felt very much like a preseason game. Still desperately need some quality with the final ball.
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: FFA Cup Quarter Final: AUFC v Newcastle Jets

Postby EdDog Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:04 pm

I thought Boland struggled even more in possession. Looked really unsuitable for that role as the deep lying playmaker. Was really ponderous in possession and almost cost us a few times, would be concerning against better pressing opposition.

Otherwise, felt very much like a preseason game. Still desperately need some quality with the final ball.
I have thought this for a while but I think Boland is our weakest starting mid tbh. Looks just half a pace off at all times.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:42 pm

Different opinion here - I have thought Boland looked very tidy in possession and distribution was excellent. Yes, he made a few mistakes, but name a player who didn’t. The first 45 mins is the first time I’ve thought maybe Boland might be able to be our new Isaias.
Reds United
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcelo Carrusca

Postby Reds United Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:46 pm

Although I was not totally impressed with the performance, it must be said that Moss pulled off three great saves to deny certain goals. The Reds were also wasteful and butchered three or four gilt edged chances. Who knows what the score could have been if we had taken those chances. Toure looks the goods and I liked the confidence. He looked like an established A-League player. He displayed strength, skill and pace. I don't think that he will be playing NPL again. I agree with comments about Boland. When he first arrived at the club, his workrate was phenomenal. He was everywhere and like an Eveready battery buzzing all over the park. Since that injury that he sustained, he has not been the same player. He definitely has not got the mobility that he had.We definitely need a class defensive midfielder as we haven't replaced Isaias. I realise that it is hard to replace a player of the class of Isaias, but we do need a defensive midfielder who can do the dirty work, but good enough to initiate attacks with great distribution from deep positions. Otherwise, we need to give D'Arrigo a chance.We also need cover for Elsey and Jacobsen at centre back despite Marrone making a good fist of it in that position last season. The addition of two class players is needed if we are to improve on last season and really challenge for honours.
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:49 am

Gaffer says we are still searching for that CDM, and we do need it.

Should have won by 3 or 4 really.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:28 am

If we're going to play Strain at RB then why not give Marrone a go as DM? He's super smart, strong in defence, plays a mean pass and is deceptively quick.
I thought Boland was a mixed bag last night. Some good and some dross. But so was our stand-in captain!! Ans apart from a couple of moments, Elsey seems to have lost confidence in his passing game. Nowhere near the player he was once. McGree had a night of missed chances and even Pacifique looked slow and bewildered. Even so, we had great chances to win by 3-4 and Newcastle were lucky that Italiano was sent off. Doubt he would have made those saves Moss made.
To play like that in a knock-out match and get the win is a huge bonus. Get that out of the system and next time we might get our mojo back.
Opseth looked like a player with a brain and decent touch - and not one who is going to be bullied off the ball.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:25 pm

McGree was always on the ball but just could not hit the target.
Pacifique was pretty poor tbh - trying too hard maybe? There was that weird moment where he tried to cheekily head the ball on to himself rather than just control and run with it.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:50 pm

If we're going to play Strain at RB then why not give Marrone a go as DM? He's super smart, strong in defence, plays a mean pass and is deceptively quick.
Yep ive thought this also.

I do recall a very young marrone being one of the surprise packets of the season holding down Reids position as DM ( I may have the seasons confused but he was very promising in the role prior to to moving to heart )

I would imagine he would be much more of a defensive minded mid though than the manager is looking for.

Toure vs blackwood?

Its hard to say, we havnt seen enough of toure against Aleague opponents. Although there seems to be a certain quality about toure that Berisha, Smeltz and vintage mcbreen had. That is that they read play very well and find themselves in fantastic positions or at minimum put the keeper under pressure.

Im just not sure blackwood would have even been looking for the moss error last night to pounce on.

Am i right in assuming Toure kept blackwood out of the squad? He wasnt injured was he?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
bpowell454

Postby bpowell454 Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:19 pm

Blackwood was not injured according to the pre match press conference.

Toure seems to be consistently doing the things that Blackwood CAN do when he's playing well. It may be the calibre of opponents we've been playing but it's also the hunger. You think of players like Leckie, Mabil, McGree as they were coming into the team. Chasing down every loose ball, anticipating rebounds, desperate to score and prove themselves. I just don't see that hunger in Blackwood.
bpowell454

Postby bpowell454 Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:13 pm

We've drawn Central coast mariners away for the semi final.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”