Members Forum - AEC 5th August

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

MartinAUFC
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Members Forum - AEC 5th August

Postby MartinAUFC Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:25 pm

Anybody going to this ?

Hi Martin,

We’re holding an exclusive forum for our dedicated members on Monday, 5 August at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre!

This is a unique opportunity for you to hear from the club’s hierarchy ahead of the Hyundai A-League and Westfield W-League seasons for 2019/20.

Hosted by Adelaide United Ambassador, Jarrod Walsh, a panel consisting of Reds Chairman, Piet van der Pol, Chief Executive Officer, Nathan Kosmina, Director of Football, Bruce Djite, and Chair of the Reds’ Advisory Board, Ian Smith, will be present to discuss everything AUFC.

“Gathering feedback from our most invested members is very important to us as a Club,” van der Pol explained.

“We are continuously striving to improve and, by having this opportunity to connect with our members, I am sure we will be able to answer many important questions that our supporters may have.

“From the club’s day-to-day operations, our renewed emphasis on giving back to the local community, to our commitment to improving all levels of our women’s and men’s football, we will be discussing everything Adelaide United.

“This is the club for all South Australians and we want to represent the people as best as possible.

“I implore all members from last season and the new season to register as quickly as possible because spots are limited.”

With the opportunity for members of the 2018/19 season as well as the upcoming season to have their questions about the club answered, register now for your chance to attend!

REGISTER NOW
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Re: Members Forum - AEC 5th August

Postby ChillyPhilly Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:31 am

I just registered - now to see if I get an invite, which is interesting.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Gianaqua
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Carrusca

Postby Gianaqua Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:09 pm

so I've got the invite to the Member's forum.
Anyone else going from this forum?
Anyone have any questions they want answered if they cant make it?
sudden reversal
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Michael Marrone

Postby sudden reversal Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:27 pm

I will also be there.

Long time lurker :D
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:38 pm

I certainly can't be there (wrong country).

If you can, it would be nice to know if the club will be looking to introduce under age sides to meet the AFC Club Licensing requirements (without the license we cannot compete in the ACL).
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: Members Forum - AEC 5th August

Postby bpowell454 Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:37 pm

I certainly can't be there (wrong country).

If you can, it would be nice to know if the club will be looking to introduce under age sides to meet the AFC Club Licensing requirements (without the license we cannot compete in the ACL).
https://survey.zohopublic.com/zs/SHCNtt

Ask your question here blahblah, the club said they would release a run down a couple of days after the meeting.
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:19 pm

Not as invested as I used to be so I won't be heading along. Let us know how it goes though.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:51 pm

I've got the invite also, but now coincidentally have a meeting with someone who works in a similar space (i.e., engagement) at a different major Adelaide sporting club an hour beforehand. So I'm unsure if I can make it.

I had two questions, which basically were: What is the club's plan for engagement going forward? And second, has there been any further discussion about future upgrades of Hindmarsh Stadium?
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:07 pm

Tonight's the night.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Gianaqua

Postby Gianaqua Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:47 pm

Forum was good tonight. Everyone spoke well.
Key points: Adelaide and Coopers management both agree that Coopers renovation is not a solution. Proposal is being put forward for a Riverbank Stadium. No real solutions for dealing with extreme hot days - just pushing for no afternoon kick offs.
Coopers and United management seem to have a great relationship.
Focus on youth development amd integration into the first team.
China is a big focus. Business and player opps. I get the strong suspicion that Adelaide United will be used as a breeding ground to develop Chinese talent. As Piet said, Chinese players are worth a lot of money, so it would be in the owners interests to invest in developing promising Chinese talents and selling them back there.
Gertjan seems like a task master. No nonesense. I personally like his intimidating demeanour.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:02 am

Interesting.
Thanks!
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:06 am

Wow so that suggests all our days at Hindmarsh are numbered!
Time to Djbate!
Gianaqua

Postby Gianaqua Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:15 am

It would seem that AUFC and Coopers both agree that’s hindmarsh has its limitations and don’t want to ask for gov funding to upgrade the stadium. They are hoping to put a proposal to gov for the new riverbank stadium that they are saying will “put Adelaide on the map” and be the best football stadium in Australia (which we have recently lost to the new WSW stadium).
Will be a hard sell IMO, but would be a sensational outcome. Could you imagine leaving the game on a summers night and heading into the upgraded Festival Plaza to celebrate a big win. Amazing.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:22 am

Yes, an interesting night. Reds Chairman, Piet van der Pol, Chief Executive Officer, Nathan Kosmina, Director of Football, Bruce Djite, and Chair of United’s Advisory Board, Ian Smith spoke and so did Phil King, the head of AVM, who run Coopers.

They can certainly all talk! Smith accused Bruce of being the non-stop chatter and proceeded to talk incessantly for a very considerable period. Still, the honesty was patent and the issues covered were - on the whole - interesting. Jarrod Walsh did a great job hosting the event.

As Gianaqua has said, it does seem that whatever happens in Australian football is going to largely be a reaction or attempt to engage with China's rise and desire for football status. We're a very small fish in the very wide football sea.

I love Coopers and I'll hate to leave but it was made clear that the stadium is reaching its use-by date and very little extra money will be spent on it. It's very strength - being a wonderful, boutique, football stadium - is also its Achilles heel. Not many others sports can use it. The issue of adding an extra roof over other stands was canvased and Piet made it very clear there is no viable costing on that plan. So, Coopers as is until the building of a world-class facility in the Riverbank area in....pick a year and pray hard. I guess it'll be very good when it happens. Until then maybe we can try and fill Coopers more often.

Piet - who gave a fantastic description of his path to this point and his reasons for being in Adelaide - spent a lot of time explaining why Marco was bounced. Basically a very significant disagreement about what place the youth set-up should play in the club's future. The club wanted a coach with a genuine interest in and capacity to work with emerging players. Marco was about game day. Gertjan promises to engage the whole structure. I guess we'll see. Judging from his terrifying demeanour I imagine everyone will be on their toes!! Many positive things were said about the result Marco achieved. Bruce also mentioned how he'd struggled to watch us last year because the football was so dull. Can't say I disagree. Pragmatic football is soul destroying.

Bruce also mentioned that he'd spoken to last year's Youth squad and they felt completely distanced from the club. None of the coaches came to their games, spoke to them or took and interest. That has all changed.

Jarrod also asked (he was asking the core of questions sent in - there were about 300!) about Issa and Craig. Issa's offer was just too good and he had a release clause so...the club wanted to honour him. There is an open door back to the club when he's ready. Goody originally said no to his offer but rang back the next day to say he wanted to go. Again, the money was too good and Bruce suggested his agent has been in his ear. "Salary-capped league" was mentioned many times.

There was a clear emphasis on the club getting back to community roots and family engagement. Phil King was totally unapologetic about security, mentioning several times that he was the father of a five year old. In what seemed to be a complete flight of fantasy he seemed to think that patrons of cricket and basketball could attend matches or games without ever hearing anyone be called a dickhead! So his message was, be nice and all will be well. Pretty clear that raucous, active support was to be grudgingly tolerated rather than encouraged. Ian mentioned the possibility of a families area. Policing may change a bit as we will fall in line with the rest of Australia with user-pays policing, meaning that there will probably be less overkill on the "high risk" games like MV. From the perspective of the AVM we are a product and nothing more. Which is completely understandable. As Gianaqua said, the relationship is now obviously good but I'd have to say that Phil King didn't impress me at all.

Nathan spoke a lot about club issues. He was asked about Macron and basically said that those who long for Nike or Adidas will have to dream on. We don't sell enough merchandise to interest them. So it'll either be a Macron or maybe a Chinese kit maker for next year.

Bruce spoke about the squad and the way he's going about doing business - always with Gertjan's input. Bruce said that his close relationship were helping but that he was very blunt as well. He told at least one player that, "You're not worth that! You know it and I know it". So....we'll see how that goes. He said that we're one or two quality players short and that we'd see action on that in coming weeks. One, maybe two. Also a couple of youth team players coming up. Watch Wednesday night for a hint about who.

He made a couple of comments about our complete lack of strikers last year. Not sure how Halloran and Georgie Blackwood would feel about that.

There were about 150 people there I'd say, including staff. Not a lot of chance to ask questions but so much had already been covered. It was a good event and initiative. Having been around the club since the start and having been on Members advisory committees before, etc, I'm encouraged but the truth of it all will have to be expressed in action. Piet seems like a really good thing. Bruce and Nathan look like a young but passionate team. Ian represented the board well and he's a genuine heavy-hitter in this country. If the results start to come in and the club finds better ways to help people know and love it the next few years could be great. But, as we old cynics know, we've been told that and believed it before.

For now, it's a good start to the business of helping the fans feel engaged again and a step in the right direction.

Now, let's win on Wednesday!!
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:35 am

Well this is in the paper today Pretty disgraceful.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”