Police at victory games

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: Police at victory games

Postby otto62 Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:57 pm

I do not condone the heavy handed policing that's been reported. However, I have no problem with the big police presence.

Can we actually admit that there has been trouble in the past, caused by some idiots, which means that we know in advance that there'll always be a big police presence at any MV game. The AU-MV on the field rivalry is fierce, the fans sing offensive chants at each other (which if said in the street between a few beer fuelled drop kicks from each side could easily lead to a fight), and there was a lot riding on this particular game.

It's so easy for things to get out of hand. I myself saw a bit of wrestling and misdirected punches thrown after the game, and that was between two AU fans.
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Mon May 13, 2019 9:44 am

Well it’s not just us it seems. The reports of the police at the Sydney victory game are disgraceful. Yet week in week out people are punching on and fighting in afl crowds and they aren’t being arrested. There is an obvious problem with the mentality of police and ‘sokkah’
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Mon May 13, 2019 12:50 pm

If your refering to the father of the disabled girl being thrown out it seems he may have told some porkies on twitter and the media ran with it.

Pretty disgusting on his behalf if so.

In this instance it seems security and police were calm and reasonable.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Mon May 13, 2019 2:09 pm

If your refering to the father of the disabled girl being thrown out it seems he may have told some porkies on twitter and the media ran with it.

You reckon having 10 uniformed police surround him is calm and reasonable?

Dunno, something doesn't add up in the police's account of the situation.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon May 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Reports are this guy was involved in a bit of push and shove trying to get into an area he shouldnt be who was not with his disabled daughter at the time.

I have no issue with security and police securing the area and to prevent anyone else becoming involved.

Do i support police and security provoking and over policing ? Ofcourse not and this absolutely does happen.

However Given its been stated this mans disabled daughter was not even present when the incident happened I would heavily question anything further this man has stated. I would need to know some real facts before critising the police on this one.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Mon May 13, 2019 3:41 pm

He never said he had his daughter with him and in his statement this afternoon said he went there to check the cleanliness of the toilet in preparation for when she needed to go. This seems entirely reasonable.

I think it's pretty disgusting of the police and security to think that a father of a disabled child would use her as an excuse to go and get full strength beer.

Anyway it's one word against the other, I'm certainly not anti-police (I have family members in the force) and I even used to work matchdays at Football Park back in the day but there's plenty of things that are suspect about the police and security response.
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Mon May 13, 2019 4:52 pm

The issue is that it took 10 police and security to remove a peaceful father. Yet we see fights at afl and the police don’t even arrest them. It’s pretty clear the police have one way of policing with afl and then another when it comes to a league. Yes we had issues in the past but since when does removing a dad and his disabled daughter take ten riot officers.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon May 13, 2019 8:35 pm

The issue is that it took 10 police and security to remove a peaceful father. Yet we see fights at afl and the police don’t even arrest them. It’s pretty clear the police have one way of policing with afl and then another when it comes to a league. Yes we had issues in the past but since when does removing a dad and his disabled daughter take ten riot officers.
Hey i totally agree with you football fans get a rough deal with policing and security and im sure most of us have felt we have personally been mistreated to a degree at games especially compared to afl fans.

My point is that we should curb our outrage and wait for some tangible facts to be given light, otherwise we are just stuck in a confirmation bias loop as a football community.

I havnt seen the pictures confirming 10 officers and 4 security staff standing over the family surely there would be photo evidence? Im not saying there isnt but lets see proof before a faceless twitter account declares the truth. Also the police were not riot squad, you may say its semantic but details matter.

Absolutely none of us know what was said between this man and security, its entirely possible he was discriminated against and he should pursue this, its also pissible his actions lead to his demise...

Twitter has a history of being an echo chamber that gets things wrong, just look at that covington kid in the US as the most obvious example.

So lets wait for details before coming to a conclusion
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Tue May 14, 2019 12:53 pm

The father wrote on Twitter that after being evicted, he took his kids to Kogarah McDonald's.

They were followed by riot police there, he alleges.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Tue May 14, 2019 1:17 pm

I call BS on this flog.

Also, if you have an issue with police being there, tough. Like it or not there's a higher concentration of idiots at football games in Australia than there is AFL games.

That isn't to say no one else has the sam3 issue
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: Police at victory games

Postby bpowell454 Tue May 14, 2019 3:58 pm

I call BS on this flog.

Also, if you have an issue with police being there, tough. Like it or not there's a higher concentration of idiots at football games in Australia than there is AFL games.

I don't like this guy's story either but I'd like to see some evidence to back up the claim on % of idiots AFL v HAL.

I definitely won't be grabbing a pitchfork because of this guy's story but I do think it is on trend for the media to report on violence at sokkah games while downplaying AFL violence, therefore the police need to look like they are doing something about it which leads to more police at games.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue May 14, 2019 4:28 pm

The father wrote on Twitter that after being evicted, he took his kids to Kogarah McDonald's.

They were followed by riot police there, he alleges.
Riot police to me are police on horses or on foot with shields and batons.

The story seems to be super sensationalised
Reds4Life

Re: RE: Re: Police at victory games

Postby Reds4Life Tue May 14, 2019 8:53 pm

I call BS on this flog.

I don't like this guy's story either but I'd like to see some evidence to back up the claim on % of idiots AFL v HAL.

I definitely won't be grabbing a pitchfork because of this guy's story but I do think it is on trend for the media to report on violence at sokkah games while downplaying AFL violence, therefore the police need to look like they are doing something about it which leads to more police at games.
I don't think they've downplayed crowd violence at AFL games at all, in fact this year they seem to be reporting a fair bit, which is good and sad at the same time.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu May 23, 2019 12:46 pm

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-05- ... fmredir=sm

Interesting read.
"I went down to the gate and I said [to security guards] I need to check something. They said that I couldn't go. I just asked them to move out of my way, I was going to go and check it.

"They grabbed my arm as I tried to go past them. They let go of my arm and I was OK. I went up and checked the bathroom and when I came back, I was surrounded by — I couldn't count initially how many police were there … And there was security guards around there as well.
Mr Carroll admitted he had been evicted from a stadium before — Sydney's Olympic stadium in 2017.
By his own verson he told the security guard he “ had to check something” mentioned nothing about disabled toilets and pushed passed them. You just cant do that.

Has previously served a 12 month suspension from football stadiums.

Security footage allegedly does not support he was heading in the direction of the toilets.

The media do a great job at outraging people without presenting many facts and still not a single image of 13 police and security swarming him.

Dont know about you guys, but ive always sat in the north end and have experienced some ego driven security guards however I cant say ive ever been close to being kicked out let alone twice.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Thu May 23, 2019 1:48 pm

Likewise.

I'm not in the thick of the action at the north end but close enough, never felt unsafe either.

Police and security is a bit heavy handed at all professional sporting events but really, if you go there and support your team they won't bother you.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”