Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby shinAUFC Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:58 pm

Before that goal, everyone around us was bemoaning the lack of change in the side. It was almost like we we were playing on the counter happy to draw.

Then George rises from the ashes (pun intended) and all of a sudden Kurz is a king ?? Not for me.

One thing I will say though, is leave Marrone at CB !!! We've looked so much better since he's been there next to Jako.
Surely you can see things from the context of the players at his disposal for the passed 2 seasons and admit its impressive what he has achieved?

Regardless of style or philosophy I think its impressive and im not sure i can think of another manager who has featured in the league who could come up with a similar result with the only possibility being Arnold at ccm.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:52 am

We will see what happens when the new trainer comes.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
ChillyPhilly
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Re: Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:16 am

This was the lineup to enter tonight.

.Image

Last edited by ChillyPhilly on Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:34 am

Before that goal, everyone around us was bemoaning the lack of change in the side. It was almost like we we were playing on the counter happy to draw.

Then George rises from the ashes (pun intended) and all of a sudden Kurz is a king ?? Not for me.

One thing I will say though, is leave Marrone at CB !!! We've looked so much better since he's been there next to Jako.
Surely you can see things from the context of the players at his disposal for the passed 2 seasons and admit its impressive what he has achieved?

Regardless of style or philosophy I think its impressive and im not sure i can think of another manager who has featured in the league who could come up with a similar result with the only possibility being Arnold at ccm.
One of the biggest things Piet mentioned was the lack of youth in our 11. Last night we had 2 in form kids on the pine and neither got game time despite us crying out for a spark. He didn't make a change for 80 minutes !!!

We are a distant 4th on the table, I wouldn't be high fiving just yet. When you go to hindmarsh you used to expect exciting football, now you see a team playing counter attack.
ChillyPhilly

Re: RE: Re: Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:40 am

One of the biggest things Piet mentioned was the lack of youth in our 11. Last night we had 2 in form kids on the pine and neither got game time despite us crying out for a spark. He didn't make a change for 80 minutes !!!

We are a distant 4th on the table, I wouldn't be high fiving just yet. When you go to hindmarsh you used to expect exciting football, now you see a team playing counter attack.
I'm biased because both he and Elvis Kamsoba are friends of mine, but it was annoying to see Pacifique not get game time in a huge match against his brother. Instead we saw Vince Lia.
BenAD
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaías

Postby BenAD Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:55 am

I was disappointed he didn't get on too and I have no connection to them :)
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:27 pm

I think last night showed exactly what we'll miss about Kurz and what we won't. An incredibly disciplined performance where we simply harassed MV off the ball. Boland was our equivalent of their horrible little man, Leigh Broxham, sniping, hacking and niggling all game. Boland made Honda's night hell. We shut them down, cut them out and off - and deserved to win. But, seriously, the fact we took about the only chance we had says a lot about our attacking instincts.

Bear in mind that their 'goal' could well have stood. And that Victory is an average team this year, despite their signings. But Kurz gave Muscat another lesson and wherever he goes he'll create structured, effective teams. I admire Shin's ability to see the best in every decision the club makes but I don't subscribe to the idea that Kurz has got the best out of what he had to work with. He's built the team he wants out of what is there but is it the best we might have been...? Not for me.

We've been one or - at best - two dimensional all season. It started well, stalled drastically, and has come together well enough to be (currently) fourth in a very poor A-League this season. Let's face it, we don't deserve to end ahead of Wellington. They play good football with VERY limited resources.

Kurz seems to be unable to manage a team to attack with any sort of fluency or creativity. Last night we had Nikola up against Broxham and we didn't even try to make use of that completely one-sided contest. No structure in attack when there was every possibility that we could have exploited the weakness for goals. Marco is personable, articulate, reasoned and passionate about the team. But he's the source of a season of dire football at Hindmarsh - and I say that recognising we've beaten MV twice.

I don't know what's coming and it'll be hugely embarrassing for the club's owners - and great! - if we stumble our way to the Grand Final and even win it. But even then I wouldn't be mourning his departure.

I don't know what comes next but I'm open to finding out.

Special mention to Jakobsen last night. Never the stand-out but always there. Marrone sensational and getting some of the Kudos he's deserved for years. Blackwood may yet be worth us being patient for a season or two more. He's getting better all the time. And what an impact Halloran makes to our whole team. That man exemplifies effort in attack and defence.
ChillyPhilly

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:23 pm

To be honest, I think we're a bit of a dark horse after last night.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:02 pm

I also agree kurz style is not the most entertaining, his specialty prior to aufc was relegation battles, he certainly knows how to graft results and it shows.

To be fair he has never had much attacking options during his tenure so its hard to say what might be if he had the creative options the big clubs have but its clear he is a defensive minded manager and its not my preference for aufc but he has done a fantastic job regardless.

It will be exciting what a new ( hopefully attacking ) manager can do with goody , mileusenic and halloran next season.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:29 pm

the top 3 would certainly want to avoid us and come up against an up and down welly or city.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:35 pm

the top 3 would certainly want to avoid us and come up against an up and down welly or city.
I'd be more worried about the weapons of Welly amd Mclaren @City then AU. Adelaide you know you will get a tough game and will fear penalties but the other two have real attacking options.

Jessesdad above is spot on with the analysis.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:07 pm

Happy 4:20 Day brothers and sisters. :mrgreen:

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:19 pm

I think last night showed exactly what we'll miss about Kurz and what we won't. An incredibly disciplined performance where we simply harassed MV off the ball. Boland was our equivalent of their horrible little man, Leigh Broxham, sniping, hacking and niggling all game. Boland made Honda's night hell. We shut them down, cut them out and off - and deserved to win. But, seriously, the fact we took about the only chance we had says a lot about our attacking instincts.

Bear in mind that their 'goal' could well have stood. And that Victory is an average team this year, despite their signings. But Kurz gave Muscat another lesson and wherever he goes he'll create structured, effective teams. I admire Shin's ability to see the best in every decision the club makes but I don't subscribe to the idea that Kurz has got the best out of what he had to work with. He's built the team he wants out of what is there but is it the best we might have been...? Not for me.

We've been one or - at best - two dimensional all season. It started well, stalled drastically, and has come together well enough to be (currently) fourth in a very poor A-League this season. Let's face it, we don't deserve to end ahead of Wellington. They play good football with VERY limited resources.

Kurz seems to be unable to manage a team to attack with any sort of fluency or creativity. Last night we had Nikola up against Broxham and we didn't even try to make use of that completely one-sided contest. No structure in attack when there was every possibility that we could have exploited the weakness for goals. Marco is personable, articulate, reasoned and passionate about the team. But he's the source of a season of dire football at Hindmarsh - and I say that recognising we've beaten MV twice.

I don't know what's coming and it'll be hugely embarrassing for the club's owners - and great! - if we stumble our way to the Grand Final and even win it. But even then I wouldn't be mourning his departure.

I don't know what comes next but I'm open to finding out.

Special mention to Jakobsen last night. Never the stand-out but always there. Marrone sensational and getting some of the Kudos he's deserved for years. Blackwood may yet be worth us being patient for a season or two more. He's getting better all the time. And what an impact Halloran makes to our whole team. That man exemplifies effort in attack and defence.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

I'm thrilled for Marrone too, the guy has been epic in the heart of defence. He and Jako work well together and I hope Marco doesn't change it.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:49 pm

We could get a couple more years out of Micheal Marrone at Center half.

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:46 pm

We could get a couple more years out of Micheal Marrone at Center half.
He now looks really good in the position, though it took a couple of nervy games.

Also Strain is looking solid at RFB so it would be great to see him rewarded by keeping that position for the remainder of the season.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”