Melbourne City v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Philbyramone
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Iaiais

Re: Melbourne City v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby Philbyramone Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:40 pm

I would love to know how many goals we have conceded this season due to passing around in our own penalty box or defensive 1/3.

Genuine question, why do we persist with it when City were obviously pressing high on our defence and you could see a dangerous turnover was coming from a mile away? It happens regularly.

It's my understanding that by drawing their forwards out we create space in behind to play through but we constantly get caught with Izzo on the ball losing it/kicking it out of bounds or one of our full backs are pressed hard up against the corner flag with nowhere to go. Is there a point where we need to change it up so as not to be so predictable?

I'm not suggesting we lump it forward every time we get it but we let so many teams back into games from these errors that could be prevented.

I'd also argue that as much as I do love Izzo, his foot skills under pressure are not great. Certainly not up the standard of Galekovic and even he made some classic mistakes trying to play out from the back as we typically do.
I’m not going to be critical of Izzo, but I agree his disposal is an area for improvement. Also, I am not privy to the inner workings of the club but he is not an upgrade on Eugene and still wonder why Eug was let go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reds4Life
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:16 pm

Hes an upgrade as a stopper, but not the whole package yet.

When Eugene first arrived he was pretty ordinary by foot and had a huge issue being beaten on his near post, but that faded. Izzo had been better this year than he was last year, but theres areas to improve on.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:04 pm

It's the situation of who made the mistake and where the mistake was made.

When a keeper makes a mistake we all know that "99%" of the time it will be punished with a goal.
The defenders misplace passes, miss interceptions, get caught out of position, "99%" of the time they get away with it.
It's sucks that it cost the team points but I'm sure Izzo has saved the team more points this season than he has lost.

I once cost my senior high school team the game by coming out for a ball and then moving back and finally stopping only for the ball to bounce in front and over me into my empty goal.
The late great trainer of Adelaide Juventus, Edmund Kreft, who was at the game told my coach that it was the most ridiculous goal he had ever seen and that is saying something ... :D

I was mortified at the time and wished that the earth would open up and take me away.
I now cherish that comment with a perverse sort of pride. :mrgreen:

A goalkeepers lot is never easy.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:45 am

I couldnt help but cringe everytime foxsports spoke about blackwood playing as a 10 simply because how the team sheet was writting.

Yes he did drop back into the midfield but he was a freaking striker for god sake, no different to wheb ilso plays in that role.

When can we get beyond this over simplified commentating and stop treating viewers like under 6s.

If we had more articulate comentating i have no doubt people would feel more attatched to what is happening on the pitch rather than viewing it as 22 men kicking a ball.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:42 pm

If we had more articulate comentating i have no doubt people would feel more attatched to what is happening on the pitch rather than viewing it as 22 men kicking a ball.
I much preferred the radio commentary with Alby & Dom as they couldn't rely on simple graphics so had to explain the game. Even when the streaming started to improve I would watch the game with the volume off and have Dom & Alby chatting away for the audio :D
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:44 pm

The late great trainer of Adelaide Juventus, Edmund Kreft, who was at the game told my coach that it was the most ridiculous goal he had ever seen and that is saying something ... :D

I was mortified at the time and wished that the earth would open up and take me away.
I now cherish that comment with a perverse sort of pride. :mrgreen:

A goalkeepers lot is never easy.
Hahaha! That's a classic. I was a goal keeper most of the time so have my fair share of horror stories, though none in such illustrious company.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”