Preview: Melbourne City v AUFC 09/02/19

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Preview: Melbourne City v AUFC 09/02/19

Postby blahblah Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:21 am

Ilso is out and everyone else is in-form. A few selection headaches for Kurz this week, though good headaches to be sure.

Blackwood now has two in two and it is hard to see him not starting this match. I imagine we'll see Jorday coming off the bench though that will mean no space for AP. I can see Marrone staying on the pine as Strain put in a very solid performance last week and surely deserves to retain the RB position. Unless they want to ease him back into full fitness, Boland should start in the midfield.

A lot of familiar faces in the line-up from City (Eugene, Griffiths, McGree, La Rocca, Jamieson, Vidosic, Birighitti) though the newest of them all, MacLaren, is going to try to make his mark. Jackobsen and Elsey will need to be on their toes.
Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Re: Preview: Melbourne City v AUFC 09/02/19

Postby Old Gregg Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:37 am

Very exciting to have Boland back and Thomassen hopefully available. Surely one of the best squads we'll have had available all season (unfortunate to have Halloran out though).

----------------------Izzo---------------------
Strain---Jakobsen--Elsey--Galloway
-------------Isaias-----Boland-------------
-------------------Konsta--------------------
Mileusnic---Blackwood---Goodwin

Margus / Marrone / Kitto / Lia / Thomassen (maybe Armiento in for Kitto or Lia)
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:07 am

Will be really interesting to see if away from home against good opposition we revert to two DCM's.

You would think Boland just comes in as a box-to-box but I wouldn't be surprised to see Isa-Lia-Boland as the three in the middle.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 am

Will be really interesting to see if away from home against good opposition we revert to two DCM's.

You would think Boland just comes in as a box-to-box but I wouldn't be surprised to see Isa-Lia-Boland as the three in the middle.
I think Isa-Boland play together not as 2 DMs but they take turns dropping deep as necessary. I love it, makes us very flexible.
I don't think Lia will start but if he does, surely that means Boland plays a little higher
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:31 am

I think Isa-Boland play together not as 2 DMs but they take turns dropping deep as necessary. I love it, makes us very flexible.
I don't think Lia will start but if he does, surely that means Boland plays a little higher
From what I've seen we get better value from Boland when he sits a little deeper and can direct play. With Isa also having the capacity, it really increases the effectiveness of our transition.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:43 am

If we win we put 5 points on city and a home final is ours to lose.

Huge game.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:01 am

Bring it on.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
BenAD
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaías

Postby BenAD Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:31 pm

In the last 10 games we play city twice away, you feel the result of those two will really be a big factor in the top 4. Interesting to hear that we have yet to beat City with Kurz in charge.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:17 pm

Our record against city is pretty appalling - and now they have the MacLaren factor. But...I think this one we turn it around. The squad will be feeling both positive and the need to show they are worthy of their spots. City are not a team that seem very unified. After last week I think this one is going with us.
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:51 pm

The East Adelaide Second XI are falling apart. Joyce has lost the dressing room and its only moments of individual excellence that keeps them ticking over ... if memory serves they have only won one of their last 6 matches ...?

Their squad depth is wafer thin and the Fornaroli catastrophe means that noone in the side trusts Joyce's modus operandi ... and it's arguable that a lot of them don't agree with his 'defence at all costs' tactics. East Adelaide look like a bunch of barely interested individuals who happen to wear the same coloured shirts; not a team in any real sense.

This is our best chance all season not only to win, but to hand out an almighty smacking. We are brimful of confidence and with Boland and Isa directing the midfield and Georgie coming good up front, plus Thomassen to make a cameo, it's all looking very positive for us. At dire risk of jinxing us, if this one does go as I expect, then could this be the 'coach killer' match for Joyce?
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:55 pm

I actually expect JMac to tear us a new one. They're under the pump as they were last time we played them, we will need to be at our best.
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Postby mikeewanuk Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:15 pm

Never liked McLaren especially after he stamped on Isa whilst wearing a Perth shirt. He needs to prove himself straight away. With his short fuse it could be his undoing.
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:17 pm

I actually expect JMac to tear us a new one. They're under the pump as they were last time we played them, we will need to be at our best.
He is the most over-rated striker in the league - he was invisible in the Asian Cup, when his country needed him most. I can't recall which match it was, but there was one in which he found the ball at his feet, he was barely 2 yards out from the goal mouth and he contrived to miss the ball entirely. Good strikers react faster than defenders can think and MacLaren cannot.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:21 pm

Adelaide united vs the ship of Theseus?

I think Thomassen needs to start. He is on short term loan and arrived match fit. If he doesnt start why did we sign him as he has such a short time to make an impact?

Relegating blackwood to the bench is harsh and unfair but thats football. Though i would imagine blackwood will still get about 30 minutes.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:33 pm

Adelaide united vs the ship of Theseus?

I think Thomassen needs to start. He is on short term loan and arrived match fit. If he doesnt start why did we sign him as he has such a short time to make an impact?

Relegating blackwood to the bench is harsh and unfair but thats football. Though i would imagine blackwood will still get about 30 minutes.
Ooooh, nice Shin! Deep philosophy. Great analogy.
But a team is a community not an object. And MC are no community - except perhaps a dysfunctional one. As for AU, well, let's hope we're closer than they are.
I reckon George will start and Thomassen will get thirty but I hope you're right.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”