Adelaide United v Melbourne City Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

ZANZIBAR
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Re: Adelaide United v Melbourne City Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby ZANZIBAR Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:04 pm

Izzo is probably the worst keeper in the league with the ball at his feet and set pieces. He has let a lot of saveable shots through in the last two seasons. When we dont have anyone that can score, you really can't afford give easy goals away.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:08 pm

Izzo is probably the worst keeper in the league with the ball at his feet and set pieces. He has let a lot of saveable shots through in the last two seasons. When we dont have anyone that can score, you really can't afford give easy goals away.
Yeah nah
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: Adelaide United v Melbourne City Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby bpowell454 Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:22 pm

Fair points I think. I've always said that all you have to do is get a free kick on target and you have a high chance against Izzo.

Can we talk about Ken Ilso yet?????? Or is it still too soon?

Also Stuckey, I think Kitto was miles ahead of Mileusnic tonight but I don't think he is our best winger. He bought a lot of much needed energy but still wasn't very productive. If he could cross a ball past the first defender, I'd be on team Kitto all the way.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:35 pm

If Ilso is a 'viking' then he's the one who's asleep at the back of the boat when the raids are on. Insipid is kind. Crap is fair.

We played a few minutes of beautiful football tonight but you simply can't win a game when you have Ilso not playing, Mileusnic so out of touch that he's virtually an opponent, Elsey completely out of form, Isaias and Goodwin having a 90 minute tiff and then you substitute Marrone, who was one of the few on the field who looked like they could really play. Bizzarre game and awful tactics. But that's the team this year. One week we're fine, the next we're f**ked.

Credit to Halloran who ran his heart out all night. Eugene was (sadly) wonderful.
Last edited by Jessesdad on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:36 pm

Fair points I think. I've always said that all you have to do is get a free kick on target and you have a high chance against Izzo.

Also Stuckey, I think Kitto was miles ahead of Mileusnic tonight but I don't think he is our best winger. He bought a lot of much needed energy but still wasn't very productive. If he could cross a ball past the first defender, I'd be on team Kitto all the way.
I reckon Ken is still struggling fitness wise, hence he looks all at sea when we try to up the tempo. Comes from playing in inferior leagues and then you get a coach like Kurz who demands fitness.

I'd drop him back to the bench, hes clearly a skillful guy but needs the game to slow a touch at this stage.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:42 pm

Yeah I think tonight casts serious doubt on Ilso as a 10. Its odd that Kurz lined up this way. Ilso as a striker has looked very promising I don't see what this change brought to the side going forward.
Yeah Kitto isn't AU's best winger this season I think he was AU's best today.
Time to Djbate!
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Ilso just isn’t a league quality. Same with Mileusnic. They are probably bench players at best when we need something different. Having our imports injured with mirko and baba on the sidelines has really exposed us. Just like last year with absalonsen and baba.

As for elsey, going through a rough patch but the kid is a fighter and should pull through after a week on the pine.
BenAD
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaías

Postby BenAD Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:39 am

I don't have many positives to really say after that effort, it was just lacklustre. Not very many had a good game. I've been a big fan of Nikola, I really wanted him to succeed, but I'm sorry to say I don't want to see him on anymore. He looks like a player totally devoid of any confidence and his defensive effort is totally inadequate, when you compare it with Halloran, Strain and Kitto who play the same position.

Elsey had a shocker and Isa did as well, so many turnovers. I could see why Marrone was subbed, even if I don't think it was the right move, Marrone, whilst doing some of our best work also turned the ball over a lot too. Still I feel like Marrone is one of those players who you gotta leave on, as he is one of the only who will create that chance that we so desperately need.

Still first half if Mileusnic and Goodwin put away both easy chances, we are 2-1 up and full of confidence. But when we missed the first goal and the OG went in, the whole team just accepted their fate it seemed. They stopped pressing as much, started walking around and just lacked heart.

The most worrying thing is that unlike every other season recently, we haven't got a new young kid coming through. We have many in the squad, but none on the bench. Strain is young but he his breakthrough season last year. We have 6 scholarship players, but between them D'arrigo, Armiento, Brooks, Niyongabire and Kristin Konstandopoulos have played what 5 minutes? (the 6th being GK Richards). In a team where we have had so much injuries and are struggling to find form.

A striker will help for sure, but its not a magic bullet.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:13 am

I don't have many positives to really say after that effort, it was just lacklustre. Not very many had a good game. I've been a big fan of Nikola, I really wanted him to succeed, but I'm sorry to say I don't want to see him on anymore. He looks like a player totally devoid of any confidence and his defensive effort is totally inadequate, when you compare it with Halloran, Strain and Kitto who play the same position.

Elsey had a shocker and Isa did as well, so many turnovers. I could see why Marrone was subbed, even if I don't think it was the right move, Marrone, whilst doing some of our best work also turned the ball over a lot too. Still I feel like Marrone is one of those players who you gotta leave on, as he is one of the only who will create that chance that we so desperately need.

Still first half if Mileusnic and Goodwin put away both easy chances, we are 2-1 up and full of confidence. But when we missed the first goal and the OG went in, the whole team just accepted their fate it seemed. They stopped pressing as much, started walking around and just lacked heart.

The most worrying thing is that unlike every other season recently, we haven't got a new young kid coming through. We have many in the squad, but none on the bench. Strain is young but he his breakthrough season last year. We have 6 scholarship players, but between them D'arrigo, Armiento, Brooks, Niyongabire and Kristin Konstandopoulos have played what 5 minutes? (the 6th being GK Richards). In a team where we have had so much injuries and are struggling to find form.

A striker will help for sure, but its not a magic bullet.
I guess AP could be that player who has a break out season. Although he picked up an injury during the week at a two day U19 camp. Why are players involved in HAL set up going on camps like this? What value does that provide the player over staying with their club training where he would have been likely of game time.

I think the fact the Schenkeveld was best on ground for City highlights that AU were getting the ball in to dangerous areas and once again AU got a bad run of luck with Elsey's own goal and Goody missing a sitter.
I agree about Mileusnic he does appear down on confidence and seems to be a confidence player. Hopefully more regular game time will have him feeling part of the side again, if he's able to find the back of the net soon I think he can step up several gears.
Time to Djbate!
flavze

Postby flavze Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:13 am

If Ilso is a 'viking' then he's the one who's asleep at the back of the boat when the raids are on. Insipid is kind. Crap is fair.

We played a few minutes of beautiful football tonight but you simply can't win a game when you have Ilso not playing, Mileusnic so out of touch that he's virtually an opponent, Elsey completely out of form, Isaias and Goodwin having a 90 minute tiff and then you substitute Marrone, who was one of the few on the field who looked like they could really play. Bizzarre game and awful tactics. But that's the team this year. One week we're fine, the next we're f**ked.

Credit to Halloran who ran his heart out all night. Eugene was (sadly) wonderful.
i can't fathom how someone "running all night" is worth credit when it seems obvious the gameplan is to boot the ball long to the winger/forwards running in behind and then have the other two forwards running into space for him to cross to. Yet everytime Miluesnic got on the end of a ball, beat his marker and looked up Halloran and Goodwin were having a cuppa in the midfield and yet every man and his dog running him down.
Also supposedly Ilso is somehow supposed to get into the game yet 98% of the time we gained possesion the ball is booted over his head.
Our game plan was atrocious for the players and formation we had on the pitch, sure plenty of players looked out of sorts but the main problem last night was the coach imo.

Halloran would find the W-league to physical, the guy is made of paper. Playing him as the main striker is complete garbage.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Imo despite the poor showing i thinkcwe created enough to earn a point . If not potentially win.

We had something like 33 balls in the area to 11 i believe.

I feel like we are trying to chop down a tree with a round club with brute force when we really just need an axe.

Either way a few more games like this and the chances of a top 4 finish are gone
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
salmonfc
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Craig Goodwin

Postby salmonfc Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:17 pm

I think everyone failed in this match. The players and the coaches.

Marco is a great coach, one of the best in the league (which is why he's been tapped up by several A-League clubs and expansion hopefuls), but the lack of an actual philosophy leads to some dire football that swings between dreary and stomach-churning. So turgid and sometimes it's quite a chore to watch. Having said that, no coach in the world could be blamed if his players are going to go into matches, individually shit the bed and then cower underneath said bed like ours did.

Elsey has regressed severely and a stint on the bench is needed (though I'm confident once he gets back I. the team he will get back to his usual form).

Halloran is so unconvincing and has looked weak, physically and mentally. Every time he gets jerk a one on one, you just know he'll get muscled off the ball.

Mileusnic is simply not good enough, which is a shame as I watched him a few times when he was at Adelaide City. He's one of the many players Australia has that will tear the NPL to shreds, but just can't make the step up.

Ilso is pretty much useless. Cannot recall a moment from him where he genuinely looked like the Danish Zlatan he's called himself. Cool, you can bang them in playing in random Asian leagues, doesn't mean shit.

We need to find some sort of loophole in Diawara's contract or some sort of law that will allow us to terminate his contract ASAP. It's an absolute joke that we're paying marquee wages to a guy who has missed more games through injury than he's played. He's not even that good either. Get rid of him and break the bank for a striker that doesn't have permacrock knees and won't need 30 games to get in form.
we da best
salmonfc

Postby salmonfc Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:25 pm

The thing that pisses me off the most is that I could see this coming. We follow the exact same script so many times we deserve some kind of footballing Academy Award.

Completely dominate the opposition for 20-25 minutes, create several great chances but fluff them all. "No problem", we say. "We got plenty of time and we're all over them, we'll be fine". Cue the opposition counter attacking and jagging a bullshit goal from their first actual chance of the game. From there, all the heads start to drop and we look like beaten dogs as we see out the half. At some point between the 40th and 50th minute, we'll concede another goal as they take advantage of our mental and physical fatigue stemming from our early pressing.

Only part where we deviated from the script is the part where we'd usually score in the 75th or so minute and the commentators would hype up this clearly dead game and go "And what an exciting final 15 minutes we have here at Coopers!". Nothing comes of it and we go down in a disappointing 2-1 loss where we get some brownie points for the "spirit" we showed in our attempted comeback. Nah, this time we don't even get that. Just a solid 90 minutes of pain.
we da best
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:29 pm

I think everyone failed in this match. The players and the coaches.

Marco is a great coach, one of the best in the league (which is why he's been tapped up by several A-League clubs and expansion hopefuls), but the lack of an actual philosophy leads to some dire football that swings between dreary and stomach-churning. So turgid and sometimes it's quite a chore to watch.
We're playing like that because we haven't had a 10 or a striker. If/when we fill those positions, then Kurz will actually be able to show us his philosophy.
salmonfc

Postby salmonfc Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:34 pm

Hence the comment about fucking Diawara off on New Year's Day and bringing in someone who can actually score consistently. Even with our new, wealthier owners, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up signing yet another permacrock plebeian who hasn't played in 8 months and hasn't scored in 18.

This could be easily avoided if we sign someone who's already proven themselves to be a reliable and prolific striker in the A-League, such as Bobo, Berisha or Fornaroli.
we da best

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”