Wellington Phoenix v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Jessesdad
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Re: Wellington Phoenix v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby Jessesdad Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:25 pm

It's only when your team is doing well that fans have the luxury of complaining about a 3-1, come-from-behind win away from home. Kurz cuts his cloth according to what's available and what will cover his arse. Smart move. Brings results. Pretty? No.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:03 pm

The Highlights!

That was a good headed goal by Ken Ilsø and I'm happy for him that he has his first league goals for the club.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:14 pm

That goal was world class tbh, the ball from marrone and header from ilso is as good as u will see.

Just need to consistantly repeat it.

Equal third after 5 rounds, all clubs equal or above us have fit leathal strikers at the point of attack and quality 10 behind , We need to find a way!!
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Reds United
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcelo Carrusca

Postby Reds United Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:35 pm

The club must do everything they can to find two quality imports (Assuming Isaias gets his citizenship!). We need a quality Number 10/Box to box midfielder and a central striker if we are to seriously challenge for the title. We are not far off, but we desperately need to fix these shortcomings. Can our Dutch owners possibly ask Robin Van Persie to postpone his planned retirement from the game at the end of the season?
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:51 am

That goal was world class tbh, the ball from marrone and header from ilso is as good as u will see.

Just need to consistantly repeat it.
well it's the second top notch header from a world class Marrone cross this season, awesome to see
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:06 pm

I'm happy to disagree with all the misery guts on here.

Well done Marco! An away win after going behind. Into the top 4. Tried different personnel up front and in the end it worked.

Ilso up top and Goodwin more central was a creative and interesting shuffle of the players. Again well done Marco.

I'm happy enough with our style of football when we have our best players available. It's not Marco's fault that Baba is never fit.

And most of all, I'm really happy with the Cup silverware. That's the whole point of playing the game.

I’m with Otto. I go to a game to watch my team win first and to see entertaining, free flowing football second. It’s just the way I was raised.
Anyway, it’s not like we’re a team of long ball cloggers. There is an abundance of speed, skill and guile in the squad. Hell, even our big defenders look comfortable on the ball.

Sure the Perth game was disappointing and the first half in Welly was too, but Marco is trying to paper over the cracks of injuries in key positions and doing a pretty good job imho.

Goodwin was AWOL against the Glory, so he played him more centrally in NZ to get him more involved and to a degree it worked. He brought Marrone in for Strain and that also paid dividends with the cross for Ilso.
Oh and on the subject of Ken. Let’s give him a chance eh? How many combined minutes has he played? It’s that not easy to come off the bench and have an impact. He gets a start and hey presto – 2 goals. The jury is well and truly still out on the Dane for me.

Last but not least, a word of praise for Reags. He came in from the cold and did a sterling job. Apart from the miscommunication with Izzo for their goal (and that’s down to the keeper surely) he didn’t put a foot wrong. Imo he deserves to keep his spot as Jakobsen has been far from solid in recent matches and to me, looks a tad on the slow side.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:52 pm

Agree with above!!

I actually feel If ilso settles he could be a real wild card for us in that he is a very tall and strong attacking mid.

Sure he is not a typical 10 but his strengths offer different possibilities abd force defenders to play differently.

If Ilso settles in and blackwood can continue to show the form he did pre injury i think we are contenders. Much rests on these 2 shoulders!

Also a word on visas adapting to the league. Carussca, isaias, sanchez , castro even ninkovic did sfa in their first 9 games and were written off by a bunch of “ never was” critics. The pressure is certainly on ilso to perform but he deserves a chance to adapt.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:43 pm

I get the feeling, considering Ilso featured almost exclusively up front in pre-season and until the weekend hadn't at all in the HAL suggests Kurz wasn't confident in Ilso's fitness till now. Also based on the pre-season, starting Halloran up front would probably be Kurz's prefered option after Baba, Blackwood, AP and Ilso. So starting with the 5th choice striking option provides us with a pretty obvious excuse for a lack of goals and cohesion in the attacking 3rd as well as the side's almost total dependence on Goody for goals till last weekend.
Time to Djbate!
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:00 pm

I remember watching iiso in the pre season game against para hills knights. He kept getting into dangerous spots for all the crosses and movements into attack. Just lacked a bit of class in finishing. Having watched his last few games he again gets into great spots as a 9. Have high hopes for him hitting double figures by seasons end.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:27 am

I finally managed to watch the game and felt we were positive given we were playing away in Wellington. Kitto had some good positioning and our AM's did some solid work drawing defenders centrally to allow space for our full-backs to push forward and wide with minimal pressure from Welly. Some great balls into the box resulted, as did goals.

Isiais played a Captain's game, putting himself in the way of a lot of Welly options. It isn't often noticed as the result it both he, and the Welly player, don't see the ball. In all a solid effort off the ball.

It is nice to see some competition arising between Ilso and Stama. We may not have the players some want at the pointy end, however we are scoring goals and that is not a bad thing.

In all, a positive effort and something the build upon for the Brisbane game.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”