The Next Coach of AUFC

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Rojos
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

The Next Coach of AUFC

Postby Rojos Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:01 am

*disclaimer – international break has me bored*

Marco has some qualities no doubt but I thought this thread may make a nice slow burner (the sack Kurz one is locked and is probably a little harsh)

Positives:
- He’s won the cup
- Consistently puts out a well organised side
- Almost always competitive on the pitch
- Players seem to like him

Negatives:
- Sideline behaviour, a shocking example for our kids
- Very cautious, defensive
- Always pick a proven league player over a youngster
- Team lacks creativity or spark, first year was littered with long balls

My personal view is that I’d be happy to end the relationship amicably at years end and bring in Tony Vidmar as head coach. He’s done wonders with youth development in this country, is a home town legend and might get some more bums on seats.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: The Next Coach of AUFC

Postby otto62 Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:40 am

I'd be very very happy sticking with Kurz.
If we are consistently competitive, getting to cup finals and challenging for a top two spot then that will be job done.
Why shouldn't he be here for 5 years if he can get the job done.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:38 pm

I would have to say I’m 75-80% happy with Kurz. I prefer the more direct style we play under him than the possession at all costs mantra of previous regimes. His imports have all been good, if a little brittle, especially the Germans which let’s face it he should know the most about.
The cup win was a big boost and to deservedly beat Sydney in the final has to be a big feather in Marco’s cap. My only concern is that we can be a bit predictable. If teams press us and prevent Izzo from passing out from the back we look a bit clueless and just end up going long to a 50-50, or worse. Where’s the plan B ? But then maybe having a fit, experienced target man would help there.

I don't mind a bit of passion on the sideline. I don't think he's at Mourinho level yet. Certainly no worse than Arnold and Muscat.

Injuries will test Kurz now, but I have enough confidence in him that he will answer the challenge, and as long as we back up the cup win with a fairly comfortable spot in the top 6 I see no reason to consider a change at season’s end.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:56 pm

I'm 75-80% happy with Kurz too. On balance I preferred Gombauball but I think (as per usual with AU) it's not the 'style' so much as a couple of players in key positions that is the difference between good & great.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:46 pm

I think Marco Kurz is doing a good job.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:03 am

Im happy with kurz and enjoy his intensity on the sideline, in the post match pressers he is nothing but class.

I think his teams lacking creativity have alot to do with never having a 10 and first choice striker on the pitch at the same time.

If kurz does not stay i hope the new manager is apart of a long term plan and can implement a new long term direction . Gombau and Amor did this but it was not taken seriously by the previous owners. I feel our new owners are much more visionary type and its entirely possible Gombau may make a return IMO.

Im still very happy with kurz though.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
MartinAUFC

Postby MartinAUFC Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:45 pm

Im happy with kurz and enjoy his intensity on the sideline, in the post match pressers he is nothing but class.

I think his teams lacking creativity have alot to do with never having a 10 and first choice striker on the pitch at the same time.

If kurz does not stay i hope the new manager is apart of a long term plan and can implement a new long term direction . Gombau and Amor did this but it was not taken seriously by the previous owners. I feel our new owners are much more visionary type and its entirely possible Gombau may make a return IMO.

Another stint of Gomby? No thanks.
It would be like going out with an ex girlfriend - it's never as good the second time around :wink:
T. Vidmar would tick the local boy box, but has he got enough experience to step into an A-League role? I would hope the owners would have enough connections to source a guy of Kurz's level or above. Perhaps with Vidmar as assistant ?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:31 pm

Another stint of Gomby? No thanks.
It would be like going out with an ex girlfriend - it's never as good the second time around :wink:
T. Vidmar would tick the local boy box, but has he got enough experience to step into an A-League role? I would hope the owners would have enough connections to source a guy of Kurz's level or above. Perhaps with Vidmar as assistant ?
Im just saying Gombau and the new owners seem to have very similar and progressive ideals. The gombau/amor combo would have left a far greater legacy with our current overlords.

That being said im not fussed about the new manager i just want to see some kind of longterm plan.

I think both vidmars would be great candidates abd possibly mori.

If we have an aussie manager id prefer an adelaide manager, im not opposed to a well regarded international manager either
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
UnitedPants
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: -

Postby UnitedPants Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:15 am

Would love another season out of Kurz, not sure it will happen though!
MartinAUFC

Postby MartinAUFC Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:22 am

What makes you say that ? Do you think he'll get poached ?
UnitedPants
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: -

Postby UnitedPants Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:07 pm

It was a 2 year deal. Reckon he'll stick around?
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:12 pm

While we're on the topic of Marco. If AU win their next game he'll notch up 23 wins as AU coach. That's the same amount Amor chalked up in his time with AU as well. Amor took 65 games to hit that number. Marco would have done it in 44.

I hope I'm not jinxing next weekend!

Personally I do prefer a more possesion based side, but personally I'm happy to see AU play any system if its getting results, and the club rolls it out across the NYL and NPL sides as well. I see no point in getting the youth sides to play a system that the HAL side doesn't use.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:15 pm

It was a 2 year deal. Reckon he'll stick around?
I doubt he'll be here for the long haul. Obviously he's come here to boost his CV. I just hope like Gombau, when he leaves the club he's leaving it in better shape than when he joined.
Obviously expecting him to leave the club as a champion is a bit extreme IMO. But finals contender, a solid amount of the core squad signed for the next season and someone pencilled in to take the reigns would be wonderful.
Time to Djbate!
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:46 pm

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/fo ... 52714fc6a2

A Val piece calling for an extension to Kurz’ contract which expires in May.

He’s shown great tactical awareness the past few weeks to adapt the system in to several formations. The long bombs and speculative shooting seems to have faded away and even with the loss to Victory the side has looked organised.

Still would be nice to see some more creativity in the final 3rd, oh and Lia out for Konsta/Strain.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:53 pm

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/fo ... 52714fc6a2

A Val piece calling for an extension to Kurz’ contract which expires in May.

He’s shown great tactical awareness the past few weeks to adapt the system in to several formations. The long bombs and speculative shooting seems to have faded away and even with the loss to Victory the side has looked organised.

Still would be nice to see some more creativity in the final 3rd, oh and Lia out for Konsta/Strain.
I've been very impressed with Lia, I'm happy to admit I was wrong calling him out. To keep a midfield of Honda, Troisi and an in form Antonis so quiet for so long was very good from him and Isa.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”