Adelaide United v Perth Glory Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Adelaide United v Perth Glory Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby shinAUFC Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:16 pm

I don’t think we were bad at all. I’d say in possession we were better, but as many people have said we aren’t a complete team. Stama is great but we need a striker. Lia is fitter than ever and is serviceable but he makes a slightly detrimental impact. We need a striker, and a number 10 in front of Isa and Boland.
I agree, i feel tgere were alot of positives.

We played a well organised tony popavich team ( defensive minded ) without our first and second choice centre forwards.

This explains the lack of movement in the front third and why we could only attack down the wings.

Give us a senior striker and we win that game.

Im 99% sure the plan was Konsta to be subbed for Lia and Ilso to go upfront but the injury of boland negated this. I base this on Konstas utter disgust on the sideline when ilso was subbed over him ( anyone else notice?

Stama did a good job and got in some fantastic positions but he is still green.

Very positive signs just need our marksmen back and i think we can compete for trophies.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:25 pm

Stamatelopoulos should not be playing A-league,
You have to be kidding me.

The kid is 19 and our third choice striker thrown in the deep end with no more than a handful professional matches

He was in some good positions and performed well, imo he has a bright future in the league.

Why do we pine for managers to promote youth then cut the kids down the following game?

Totally agree we need a senior striker but this is the cards we have been dealt with injuries.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:09 pm

I don’t think we were bad at all. I’d say in possession we were better, but as many people have said we aren’t a complete team. Stama is great but we need a striker. Lia is fitter than ever and is serviceable but he makes a slightly detrimental impact. We need a striker, and a number 10 in front of Isa and Boland.

We played a well organised tony popavich team ( defensive minded ) without our first and second choice centre forwards.

This explains the lack of movement in the front third and why we could only attack down the wings.

Im 99% sure the plan was Konsta to be subbed for Lia and Ilso to go upfront but the injury of boland negated this. I base this on Konstas utter disgust on the sideline when ilso was subbed over him ( anyone else notice?

Very positive signs just need our marksmen back and i think we can compete for trophies.
Yes it was a pretty balanced game, they scored off a set piece and then one when we were overcommitting.

I don't share the optimism that Baba or Blackwood are going to be any match for Keogh, Fornaroli, Le Fondre or any of a number of Victory attackers when it comes to the pointy end of the season but we'll see!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:28 pm

Yes it was a pretty balanced game, they scored off a set piece and then one when we were overcommitting.

I don't share the optimism that Baba or Blackwood are going to be any match for Keogh, Fornaroli, Le Fondre or any of a number of Victory attackers when it comes to the pointy end of the season but we'll see!
I agree our injured strikers are probably not in the same realm as keough and La fondre though im not sure they beed to be.

Having a senior striker upfront who can hold his own and allow our mids to look for an option to go more direct rather than predictably wide will make us harder to defend against and open up gaps for the mids to exploit.

I think we tick every box we need to be succesfull but are currently hamstrung upfront which totally blunts our attack, particularly playing against a popavic styled side that is super well organised.

I think Ilso should start upfront next week.
Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:40 pm

Watching Carrusca in the Legends game made me wish we had him in the squad...
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:41 am

Oh how we'd love a striker like Keogh.

Two negatives and a half positive from me.
Lia has been excellent so far, but was well below the standard he had set.
Goodwin was the biggest disappointment IMO. I don't know if it was the heat or if his mind was on the Socceroos, but I thought he was poor by his standard.
Stama was better than I thought he might be, and there will be more to come from him as he gains experience.
BenAD
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaías

Postby BenAD Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:52 am

Most sides are going to be tough to beat this year and if you don't turn up looking sharp, results won't go your way. The first Perth goal had a touch of fortune, but in the end of the day we had just one shot on target with 60% of the ball. That is not good enough.

5 points after 4 games, with 3 of them at home, is a worry, we have a big two weeks ahead now. If we are a top 4 side, we must win both games. (Wellington away, brisbane home)
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:54 am

Glad the read that we're not getting too down about this result. Perth were very good. Closed down AU's approach to Goody which has been their main avenue to goals this season. AU's main issue was that they were just too slow in build up play and anytime they were within a pass of the area Perth had enough bodies back to stifle any further movement forward.
I think the midfield trio of Isa, Boland and Lia is good but it doesn't provide the side enough momentum going forward. Konstand or Ilso need to be one of those three if the side is to get into the area and create more chances to shoot. At the moment with the speed of play down the pitch AU are dependent on Halloran or Goody beating several players to make a cross or pass into the area.
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:34 am

Not too fussed about the loss, because it was just a bit of an off day. Intensity wasn't there and Perth were able to stifle us and swoop when necessary.
Our lack of ability to pick apart a defense is one thing, but decisionmaking in general was a bit ponderous and predictable across the board. Nobody was terrible, but everyone was just at about 80% and that's all the invitation Perth need.
Keogh is so effective. Has there been a game where he hasn't scored against us?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:05 am

Boland says he heard his hamstring snap.

Suddenly we have no senior strikers and our visa midfield engine is probably on the long term injury list.

Our season is on the verge of being derailed the same as last year. We were looking like contenders but you cant afford to leave that much quality in the stands when your playing in a salary capped league.
Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:16 am

urgh sounds like he's proper f*cked. I feel for him - he is so hard working and seems to have slotted perfectly into the team.
We need to make good use of injury replacement provisions this season, I think.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Scheisse.
The wear and tear of a football career...
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:34 pm

No excuses. It wasn't just that Perth were better than us - and they were (full of energy, closing down quickly, etc) - but also that so many of our players weren't in the game at all. I don't know if it was the heat, or the let down finally hitting after our Cup win?

But Goodwin didn't look interested most of the time (a few half hearted efforts, but lots of walking around not bothering to chase) - maybe his mind on the Socceroos camp?

Lia's passing was woeful - his form to date had been brilliant, playing above himself, but in this game he was very poor.

Jakobsen is usually perfect, but was caught out of position, or beaten for pace, or turned inside out.

Strain has been so good since coming into the team (great touch, nice vision, good engine), but he looked lost out there, and a pace too slow.

Sorry to just pick on those few guys, but they had really set a high standard for themselves, and in this game they fell short.
supsup

Postby supsup Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:32 pm

I agree Otto. We were off pace (delayed FFA cup hangover) but in terms of system, I thought we looked good.

For me, the bigger worry for me is the team from now on. We need a striker and it seems we need a Boland replacement, which saddens me as he is class, and we still need someone in the middle with vision. Isa and Mirko are good passers with vision but they’re rarely advanced enough to play the assist. We need a Carrusca type. I think we’re mid-table if these three problems persist.
tinby
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Toure

Postby tinby Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:17 pm

There's little doubt that Perth may have finally cracked it. However, they do have a loose cannon in goal and if we'd been wearing light blue we would have had 2 penalties.
I'm worried about Boland and just hope the new owners get an injury replacement.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”