New stadium poll

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Should the club actively pursue a move to a new, purpose built, shared stadium in the CBD?

Yes - as long as it's done right it's the only way to move forward
55%
No - Hindmarsh is our spiritual home and we should stay put regardless
15%
Maybe - but only if Hindmarsh becomes untenable
30%

Total votes: 20
MartinAUFC
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

New stadium poll

Postby MartinAUFC Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:04 pm

The other thread is suggesting it's about 50-50.

It's high time we put this to a vote.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Re: New stadium poll

Postby Old Gregg Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:49 pm

Nice poll!
I think I'm settling on the stance that we shouldn't 'actively pursue' a new ground but if everything falls into place and a strong case can be made that it is in our long term interests we should give it proper consideration.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:39 pm

First option, upgrade Hindmarsh to reach it's full potential.

The 2nd option is a move away...... but that's miles behind the first option.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:00 pm

Good idea.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:39 am

That's a no from me. Not only is it AU's home but it's footballs home too. Fully exploited it will always serve us perfectly.
Let me put it this way.. the game will become huge in time, there will be another club or two or three from Adelaide over the top two divisions. Is everyone going to play at this new stadium? Where is the point of difference? No dummed down, centralised AFL esque competition from me. But I'd have no problem with the next club becoming that blow in hipster centralised club, AU can just become that classic, traditional football club that plays just down the road. The local area will develop around the club as well, would be such a shame to lose it imo. Just grow it.
Can't wait to drive the seven hours with my kids to get there for Tuesdays match, too.
Love Hindmarsh, football must get it back, we need to own it again.
otto62

Postby otto62 Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:23 am

If we could OWN Hindmarsh that would make a difference for me, or if we could reduce Manton Street to one lane each way and grab the extra land needed to build. But I can't see either of those options happening.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:41 am

That's a no from me. Not only is it AU's home but it's footballs home too. Fully exploited it will always serve us perfectly.
Let me put it this way.. the game will become huge in time, there will be another club or two or three from Adelaide over the top two divisions. Is everyone going to play at this new stadium? Where is the point of difference? No dummed down, centralised AFL esque competition from me. But I'd have no problem with the next club becoming that blow in hipster centralised club, AU can just become that classic, traditional football club that plays just down the road. The local area will develop around the club as well, would be such a shame to lose it imo. Just grow it.
Can't wait to drive the seven hours with my kids to get there for Tuesdays match, too.
Love Hindmarsh, football must get it back, we need to own it again.
It keeps being said, but football will never be "huge" in this country, it just wont. In summer it goes against the cricket and netball, 2 of the biggest sports in the country, plus the growth of basketball will continue.

It will never be NRL or AFL either.
RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:22 pm

I don't agree.
Give it a couple of generations.
You got kids? From the year of kids football I just coached 4/14 come from an enthusiastic football background. Another 4/14 kids come from a non-sport following family/background, they just like the game or want to do something with their mates and the other 6/14 come from a pretty strong to very strong aussies rules background. Only one of those kids played Aussie Rules as well but he packed it in early in the season. Around half of those kids have parents who were very cynical about the game and as a coach, quite difficult to integrate into our teams environment. Throw in extra family members etc and it can be difficult to instill the culture you wish to create in a new team of 10 year olds. Many of those kids would finish a match of sokkah on the Saturday morning and then their parents will whisk them off to the footy to show'em what a real mans game is.
Very slow process to break away from that culture and create a whole team moving in the one direction when so many parents don't respect skill development over results.
By the very nature though with so many new players playing the game, they will be entirely different with their own kids and by the time those kids have kids, I'm certain the culture of football is completely ingrained and celebrated in Australia and the general knowledge and respect for the game will be through the roof.
Two generations. I'm certain of it.
That's why the alf have created the myth of womens football. To further guarantee securing funding but also to inspire a left field generation of kids to play the game because by and large the pre-existing avenue of new players have turned their back on it, they dont want to play aussie rules, they want to play sokkah.
Aussie Rules will always be around and that's a good thing but there's not a huge dominant future in a game that most people don't want to play.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:50 pm

I don't agree.
You got kids? From the year of kids football I just coached 4/14 come from an enthusiastic football background. Another 4/14 kids come from a non-sport following family/background, they just like the game or want to do something with their mates and the other 6/14 come from a pretty strong to very strong aussies rules background. Only one of those kids played Aussie Rules as well but he packed it in early in the season. Around half of those kids have parents who were very cynical about the game and as a coach, quite difficult to integrate into our teams environment. Throw in extra family members etc and it can be difficult to instill the culture you wish to create in a new team of 10 year olds. Many of those kids would finish a match of sokkah on the Saturday morning and then their parents will whisk them off to the footy to show'em what a real mans game is.
Very slow process to break away from that culture and create a whole team moving in the one direction when so many parents don't respect skill development over results.
By the very nature though with so many new players playing the game, they will be entirely different with their own kids and by the time those kids have kids, I'm certain the culture of football is completely ingrained and celebrated in Australia and the general knowledge and respect for the game will be through the roof.
That's why the alf have created the myth of womens football. To further guarantee securing funding but also to inspire a left field generation of kids to play the game because by and large the pre-existing avenue of new players have turned their back on it, they dont want to play aussie rules, they want to play sokkah.
Aussie Rules will always be around and that's a good thing but there's not a huge dominant future in a game that most people don't want to play.
The only way that is changing is if the massive disparity in funding of AFL and rugby compared to Football changes. Clubs will continue to struggle and charge parents massive fees which I know is making parents question which sport they put their kids into. The cost differences between playing AFL and Football in a lot of communities is massive.
That and the disparity in media coverage will always offer AFL and rugby massive advantages over football. Not just the lack of coverage but the tone of coverage as well. We're forever listening to issues about football like they're unique to our game when most of those issues (head injuries, crowd trouble, racism, match fixing, drugs) exist in most sports.
Time to Djbate!
otto62

Postby otto62 Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:27 pm

I can see a time when average attendances at Football games will be at the same level as NRL games. If we can sustain that for a decade the money distribution will start to change. However, the NRL media have been doing everything they can to denigrate our great game and bring it into disrepute, and I think that will only increase as Football starts to become more of a threat to the NRL's money.

The AFL however have a monster on their hands. It doesn't matter how many kids don't play Aussie Rules, as long as those attendance figures stay high it's a gravy train. I can't imagine Football ever getting those sort of attendance figures here in Australia for a league match. (Only the Victory-City & Sydney-WSW games can get anywhere near it.)
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:41 pm

I don't agree.
I dont have kids, but I do coach them. Even when I'm coaching football theres kids who wear AFL gear, quite a lot of them.

You can be certain, but you'll be wrong. This sport will always be one for the purists and the occasional bandwagoner. Behind AFL, behind cricket, behind NRL and probably even behind motorsport.

But anyway this is a discussion for another thread......

As a club we need to start to talk about our stadium. Its tired and needs a revamp. You can say we aren't playing attractive football and we dont have the big names but last night was a perfect night for it and we couldnt get 10K...... what else can be done
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:48 pm

Yeah but the stadium is arguably in better shape than it ever has been. we used to get a full house in to games like Sydney and Melbourne V. I think there are far more deeprooted problems with public perception of the league and the sport in general, and I don't know how that's going to change (as you said, that's for another thread).

I think we need to consolidate who we are, who we represent, and what football should be. Melbourne City have a great stadium but their crowds are worse than ours. Brisbane Roar have a big, rectangular, modern stadium with roofz, it's central and with great transport, but their crowds are nothing to write home about.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:03 pm

I don't agree.
The only way that is changing is if the massive disparity in funding of AFL and rugby compared to Football changes. Clubs will continue to struggle and charge parents massive fees which I know is making parents question which sport they put their kids into. The cost differences between playing AFL and Football in a lot of communities is massive.
That and the disparity in media coverage will always offer AFL and rugby massive advantages over football. Not just the lack of coverage but the tone of coverage as well. We're forever listening to issues about football like they're unique to our game when most of those issues (head injuries, crowd trouble, racism, match fixing, drugs) exist in most sports.
Politics, Media... there'll be slow generational change in those areas too. The sneers and the stigma will dissappear slowly. More and more kids will love and identify with the game. The culture is changing. Football just needs to focus on us and pay less regard to other leagues and other cities.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:26 pm

Yeah but the stadium is arguably in better shape than it ever has been. we used to get a full house in to games like Sydney and Melbourne V. I think there are far more deeprooted problems with public perception of the league and the sport in general, and I don't know how that's going to change (as you said, that's for another thread).

I think we need to consolidate who we are, who we represent, and what football should be. Melbourne City have a great stadium but their crowds are worse than ours. Brisbane Roar have a big, rectangular, modern stadium with roofz, it's central and with great transport, but their crowds are nothing to write home about.
The league yes, the sport no. People still play the sport and in very very good numbers they just dont turn up to watch AUFC.

The stadium has new seats, that's pretty much it in 20 years. The public transport is better than it has ever been and the parking is too. The club has even lowered ticket prices, and food and drink is cheaper than AO.
RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:27 pm

Maybe it's about the team, the culture and the playing style afterall??
And the consistency of those things.
Growing up following West Ham has always given me a good perspective on those things and what I want from a football club.
Put it this way, I don't have a real interest in the Hammers anymore. I'd probs still be following them more if they hadn't lost those great aspects as a club and still played at the Boleyn (even if that meant playing most seasons in the championship). That combined with the fact I'm more committed to my local league now, though they're testing me at the moment.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”