New stadium poll

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Should the club actively pursue a move to a new, purpose built, shared stadium in the CBD?

Yes - as long as it's done right it's the only way to move forward
55%
No - Hindmarsh is our spiritual home and we should stay put regardless
15%
Maybe - but only if Hindmarsh becomes untenable
30%

Total votes: 20
Reds4Life
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: New stadium poll

Postby Reds4Life Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:26 pm

I reckon it's got a fair bit to do with where the league is at. The standard of the officials, the ineptitude of the FFA and things like the 'Cahill Rule' that looks after the big sides and leaves us behind.

People feel that the league is contrived so they dont go. Also, SA sports fans have been spoilt since the AO redevelopment. We have a brilliant stadium in the centre of the city, and people now come to expect that with all their sport.

That's an argument for another stadium, not that I want that, but 50K did turn up to watch us win the double.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:32 pm

Totally agree in regard to comparisons with Melbourne City, Roar and even modern day Perth who have fantastic modern stadium and struggle to get people to show up.

Talk state of the art stadiums all you like but first lets work on locals emotional attachment to the club, belief in the league as a non contrived professional realm that should take seriously.

Give people something to belong to and they will love you for life, AUFC mk1 was truly a peoples club and it showed. Remember the passion and sense that it was something special?

Football park at west lakes was a nightmare to get to when a game was on, it just didn't work. Lets not put hindmarsh in the same category. It is as easy to get to as any stadium in the league.

Fix our own backyard first and sustain it, then maybe........possibly...... consider it.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:16 am

Emotional attachment and crowds will come from playing good football and having local lads, two things I feel Kurz is not interested in.

I had a look at the 2005-06 squad, and it looks like this
Guys born and bred in South Australia (17)
Australians from another state (1) - Michael Valkanis
Foreigners (2)
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:58 am

Emotional attachment and crowds will come from playing good football and having local lads, two things I feel Kurz is not interested in.

I had a look at the 2005-06 squad, and it looks like this
Guys born and bred in South Australia (17)
Australians from another state (1) - Michael Valkanis
Foreigners (2)
Very different circumstances around that squad and today's. In fact AU actually has more locals playing for them now with 18 locals. But the rules on squad sizes, salaries, visa players and youth players is very different.

I believe the club is back working towards build that local feel. But that takes time as there are countless relationships to build and maintain in something like that. A strong squad of local players doesn't just happen, you need the support of the local league to encourage their players to work towards being an AU player and then AU need to ensure the local clubs are happy and able to provide their players the opportunities to become AU HAL players. Milesunic is a fantastic example of how tough it is. Coming into the AU set up on the back of a tough SA NPL season he struggles with the massive increase in workload and took almost till half way thru the HAL season to string multiple games together.
Beyond that AU needs to support from local clubs and the FFSA to build a strong development pathway with the AU NPL side. If they can get to a position where the side is a true reserve side and players like Kitto and Nathan Konstand can continue their development under AU coaching so they aren't reduced to 10-20 games of football per year we'll see these guys continue to grow as footballers and the need for the AU to spend up big on expensive foreign imports will be reduced and fans will bond more with the locals in the squad. It would also allow the club to spend their salary bill more wisely on a few higher profile foreigners while the club takes advantage of the local development loopholes that existing in the salary cap.
Time to Djbate!
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:53 pm

The SA Government have announced they're putting $10 million into upgrading Memorial Drive.
https://twitter.com/TennisAustralia/sta ... 7394228224

As a tennis fan, if it means we'll get an ATP/WTA event here again I'm happy.
Just us next please!
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:24 pm

Apparently we are planning to host an event.

Good, we need top level sport of all kinds to want to be here.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”