FFA Cup Final: AUFC v Sydney

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

spaceCowboy
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: FFA Cup Final: AUFC v Sydney

Postby spaceCowboy Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:18 am

Waiting for FFA to issue SFC a show cause notice for their 26 fouls last night...
Their tactic was basically to stop Isaias at all costs, even if it meant pulling him down after beating 3. It's pretty grubby football really considering the potential of their squad.

Their certainly capable of playing decent football but they resorted to playing long balls over the top which we didn't deal with as well as we should have.

Oh well we won :)
More a tongue in check comment, when we received a show cause for 'too many fouls', a few years ago. I dont think any other team has ever received one...

You are right we won, feels so good :boogie:
We are UNITED, after all....
mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:00 pm

Waiting for FFA to issue SFC a show cause notice for their 26 fouls last night...
Their tactic was basically to stop Isaias at all costs, even if it meant pulling him down after beating 3. It's pretty grubby football really considering the potential of their squad.

Their certainly capable of playing decent football but they resorted to playing long balls over the top which we didn't deal with as well as we should have.

Oh well we won :)
More a tongue in check comment, when we received a show cause for 'too many fouls', a few years ago. I dont think any other team has ever received one...

You are right we won, feels so good :boogie:
Oh I know. Just how they were playing was pissing me off and I wanted to vent :boogie:
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:59 pm

Dunno if it has been mentioned already but the Red Army was brilliant. Great sound and looked like they had most of that northern end involved in the second half.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:06 pm

Lets hope FFA give the cup winners the half acl spot this year.

They have talked about doing it but the afc announces allocations quite late so theres a chance.

Would prefer acl spots goto clubs who have actually won something ( champions league after all ) with any double ups being redistributed to next best club in the premiership
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:50 pm

Boland - fantastic player. I thought we'd really miss Adlung and he'd be impossible to adequately replace. Boland is better. And every game we're seeing it more and more. That was Sydney we just outplayed - the best team in the country for the past two seasons.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:57 pm

Anyone lol at Isa's speech after the game. Didn't even mention SFC once haha.
Last edited by EdDog on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Power
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Robert 20 Goals Younis

Postby Max Power Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:57 pm

Surprised at the crowd figure 14,448. Besides a pocket in the away section and a couple of corporate boxes empty Hindmarsh appeared chockers.

Also shout out to the bar staff at the North Stand. Easily the fastest experience I've had ordering a beverage. Massive improvement from the old days when the staff didn't even know what beers were on tap and how to properly pour one.
You will find the crowd figures will now be accurate.

The previous owners used to inflate the figure, I have heard this from two people that would know now.
terry tibbs

Postby terry tibbs Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:12 pm

Just to echo you all - what a night.

Red Army was great all game long, really getting people involved.
Gillett was pretty good in the middle all game.
Security staff I dealt with were friendly and made sure everyone got in quickly, bit of banter with the queues.
Perfect night weather-wise.
Our players were strong and mostly disciplined with a will to win.
And 2 stunning strikes from a guy who should still be in Europe really.

I want to give massive credit to Ben Halloran. Huge, gut-busting effort in all 3 games so far, and last night was his most complete performance. I'm quietly confident him playing up front like this is going to make him even more effective when he drops back to the wing, in understanding how we move as we go forward and attack.
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:33 pm

was such a great night all round. Imagine a striker like keogh or Taggart in our team? Although Halloran was class with his touch and hassle all night long even though played out of position.

Pretty disappointed with van der linden, just about assaulting the ref at the end of the game. Gillet kept having to step back to avoid contact while he copped a huge spray. Think a please explain might be heading his way.

Nights like that make you realize how important boutique stadiums are. Brisbane and sfc lose so much playing in big stadia.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:38 pm

Thought Isaias was back to his best for the Cup Final, after a lack lustre last couple of games.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:04 pm

Surprised at the crowd figure 14,448. Besides a pocket in the away section and a couple of corporate boxes empty Hindmarsh appeared chockers.

Also shout out to the bar staff at the North Stand. Easily the fastest experience I've had ordering a beverage. Massive improvement from the old days when the staff didn't even know what beers were on tap and how to properly pour one.
You will find the crowd figures will now be accurate.

The previous owners used to inflate the figure, I have heard this from two people that would know now.
didnt we lose a bit of our capacity when we installed the red seating. That would explain the smaller but still packed looking crowds?
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:28 pm

Good win (pun intended). But apart from Goody that was pretty uninspiring football from both sides. Papered over a lot of cracks that win did.

Halloran up front doesn't work but he is a very good player. We really need a target man up so he can play on the wing.

Nevertheless a great crowd and great win!!!
Agree. I don't understand why Kurz won't play Ilso up front, let alone start him. Surely he'd have to be better than Halloran there. Plus it would allow Halloran to do what he does best on the wing.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:32 am

Football culture is alive and well in adelaide!!

One of the best aufc clips ive ever seen.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:52 am

More of the good stuff!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
milan_7
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: McGree

Postby milan_7 Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:13 pm

I wonder how much this win will boost our attendances - I think the level of atmosphere on Tuesday at a packed stadium where we were successful in an entertaining match hopefully should help. Ticket prices being decreased should be helping too.

So far we have had
Round 1: Friday Night against Sydney FC (10,018)
Round 2: Friday Night against Newcastle Jets (7,906)
FFA Cup final: Tuesday night against Sydney FC (14,448)

Our numbers are down comparatively to recent seasons - hopefully we can drive for better attendances in the next few weeks.

Our next Fixtures are
11/11 - Sunday afternoon against Perth Glory
30/11 - Friday night against Brisbane Roar
16/12 - Sunday night against Melbourne City
26/12 - Wednesday Boxing day night against Western Sydney

IMO these matches are crucial for our crowds this season, I think we should be aiming for 11k plus in all these fixtures, and hopefully cracking 12k against Perth and/or Brisbane off the back of Tuesday.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”