FFA Semi: Bentleigh vs AUFC

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: FFA Semi: Bentleigh vs AUFC

Postby Stuckey Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:07 am

Agree on Blackwood. His buildup play was brilliant. He just cannot finish. I reckon Elsey would be a more clinical striker than him!

I think he needs to spend the next month just practicing his finishing.
Yeah that's the problem with the football system here. Players like Blackwood are given such limited game time to impress at the highest level. If don't they might qualify for some NPL game time but most likely not. Otherwise hopefully they are out off form during the small window of time that the NYL is running. Beyond that its just training with the squad. The only options promising youth really have is either immediately become HAL standard like McGree did (which is very rare to see). Or wait till the depth of the club's squad is tested thru and injury crisis and get a string of games that way. I really wonder how many kids have slipped thru the cracks of the system with this sink or swim method of development we're forcing on this generation? George has played 56 senior games of football in his 5 year professional career (with over half those games coming last season alone). If we were taking development in this country seriously he should have played at least that many games at HAL, NYL and NPL level in his first two seasons. There really needs to be a proper reserve HAL shadowing the HAL fixtures, better alignment with the HAL NPL sides or both.
As Bart Simpson said: "We're trying to catch up to the other kids, by going slower than they are?"
Time to Djbate!
otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:42 pm

I don't mind the idea of loaning players out to NPL sides, but that would mean players outside the HAL squad. And that means more costs, because you'd have to sign them to a contract and you'd never recoup that sort of cost from an NPL side for an unproven youngster.
ChillyPhilly
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:56 pm

Agree on Blackwood. His buildup play was brilliant. He just cannot finish. I reckon Elsey would be a more clinical striker than him!

Yeah that's the problem with the football system here. Players like Blackwood are given such limited game time to impress at the highest level. If don't they might qualify for some NPL game time but most likely not. Otherwise hopefully they are out off form during the small window of time that the NYL is running. Beyond that its just training with the squad. The only options promising youth really have is either immediately become HAL standard like McGree did (which is very rare to see). Or wait till the depth of the club's squad is tested thru and injury crisis and get a string of games that way. I really wonder how many kids have slipped thru the cracks of the system with this sink or swim method of development we're forcing on this generation? George has played 56 senior games of football in his 5 year professional career (with over half those games coming last season alone). If we were taking development in this country seriously he should have played at least that many games at HAL, NYL and NPL level in his first two seasons. There really needs to be a proper reserve HAL shadowing the HAL fixtures, better alignment with the HAL NPL sides or both.
As Bart Simpson said: "We're trying to catch up to the other kids, by going slower than they are?"
A good example of player development with this situation is Awer Mabil. He was developing slowly in the NYL, but his development exploded when Sergio van Dijk played in the team.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:49 pm

I don't mind the idea of loaning players out to NPL sides, but that would mean players outside the HAL squad. And that means more costs, because you'd have to sign them to a contract and you'd never recoup that sort of cost from an NPL side for an unproven youngster.
Considering a restrictions on the AU NPL side to field such a young and inexperienced squad I think this would be a good idea.
Players that fall into that limbo of not being a definite starter at HAL level but are seemingly unable to qualify for the NPL side like Blackwood and Nathan Konstandopoulos could really do with a extra 20 or so games at NPL level. Looking at past players Makarounas and Mells would be two others who I feel would be benefited from an off-season loan as well. IMO it would be great for the NPL club as well. Signing an HAL player would no doubt be massive news for any NPL club and add to the standard of the league well.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:53 pm

A good example of player development with this situation is Awer Mabil. He was developing slowly in the NYL, but his development exploded when Sergio van Dijk played in the team.
Yeah back when the NYL wasn't a token effort. I don't understand the point of a 7 game season now. The benefit is so small, its just a waste of money IMO.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”