Walkout song

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Reds United
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcelo Carrusca

Re: Walkout song

Postby Reds United Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:35 am

Max Power. You say that "Wonderwall" was there when we won the Grand Final and FFA Cup. In euphoric moments such as these, the crowd would have sung along to ANY song. That is NOT a reason for retaining "Wonderwall." The song has no significance to the club at all. I have attended most (99%) of United's home games since its inception and I will say it again. That dreary,whiney song HAS NOT engaged the Coopers Stadium crowd.
Max Power
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Robert 20 Goals Younis

Postby Max Power Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:14 pm

Well it was sung twice after the FFA cup game with gusto. Everyone knows the words and its easy to sing a long to, I think the most sensible decision is to leave it be.

Also for what its worth, head over to the Red Army group, they have had this same arguement and it turns out the players repeatedly requested Wonderwall at the post game function, plus there are other stories of non football junkies relating that song to AUFC.

This is why I have my point of view I guess, its finally getting traction, it would be a shame to swap it yet again. Yeah I get its linked to Man City bla bla, but in this case let it slide.
jasonkv
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Paul Reid
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Who put the Ball in the Melbourne net?

Postby jasonkv Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:37 pm

Max Power. You say that "Wonderwall" was there when we won the Grand Final and FFA Cup. In euphoric moments such as these, the crowd would have sung along to ANY song. That is NOT a reason for retaining "Wonderwall." The song has no significance to the club at all. I have attended most (99%) of United's home games since its inception and I will say it again. That dreary,whiney song HAS NOT engaged the Coopers Stadium crowd.
Oh look it's Deirdre
Reds United

Postby Reds United Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:09 pm

Although I have suggested a reworked and shortened version of "We are United" by INXS , I would also like to suggest that an Adelaide United club song could be specifically written as an alternative to Wonderwall. The song could incorporate the "Adelaide....United" chant at the start of the song (Accompanied by an accompanying drum beat as it builds up) followed by lyrics which have significance to the club and a catchy chorus. That chant as well as the "Sha la la la la....AUFC" HAVE engaged the crowd and could possibly be integrated into a new club song.
Reds United

Postby Reds United Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:56 pm

I just want to applaud the effort of the chap who penned some lyrics for an Adelaide United club song. Apparently he had heard the Beatles song,"Yellow Submarine" a few times whilst in hospital and he decided to pen some lyrics to that tune. Check the Adelaide Now website where there is a girl actually singing it. Good effort but to me it just doesn't cut it as a song that the fans will identify with or engage with, The song should not only have some significance to the club, but be uplifting and have the fans want to sing it. If you want an example of what I mean, check out AC Milan's anthem on Youtube. Stirring stuff. I am not Italian or an AC Milan fan, but I really like that tune.
Reds United

Postby Reds United Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:04 pm

You can add the Juventus anthem as another example of a club song being a good singalong and having lyrics which have significance to the football club. Again, I watched the fans singing it on a Youtube clip before a Champions League game. The fans were totally engaged with it. Again, it was stirring stuff.I really like the Juventus song making reference to their history and that it is a grand love affair for the fans. C'mon United let's get rid of "Wonderwall" and even "I see Red" by next season.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:32 am

Mate you're clearly passionate about the walkout song. Why not approach the club with some alternatives and some evidence around why you feel it will work? I do understand that Wonderwall does feel a little generic but not every club is going to have their own "you'll never walk alone" style song. Last time I watched PSG play they had AC/DC playing as they walked out. So each club can have their own style.

From memory this song was picked from a shortlist that all fans could vote on so I guess you'll have to take it up with the majority of fans who wanted it too.

Maybe I'm showing my age but I couldn't care less what the walk out song is.
Time to Djbate!
Reds United

Postby Reds United Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:30 pm

Stuckey, I actually suggested a reworked and shortened version of the INXS song, "We are United" to the club during the preseason. Since then, however, I have moved to the position that a song is specifically written for the club. The song should have significance to the club, be catchy and easy to sing along to. Maybe I will present the AC Milan and Juventus anthems to the club and send them the videos of their supporters singing their hearts out. Maybe they can use the AC Milan anthem as a template. It all helps to engage the fans and create a great matchday experience. I also want to say that I am not just passionate about the club song but with all aspects of the club. This includes, recruitment of players/ establishment of an Academy/junior development, managing their own stadium/ licenced club, better promotion of the club and even a better use of our club colours ( Red, blue and yellow).
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:34 pm

Stuckey, I actually suggested a reworked and shortened version of the INXS song, "We are United" to the club during the preseason. Since then, however, I have moved to the position that a song is specifically written for the club. The song should have significance to the club, be catchy and easy to sing along to. Maybe I will present the AC Milan and Juventus anthems to the club and send them the videos of their supporters singing their hearts out. Maybe they can use the AC Milan anthem as a template. It all helps to engage the fans and create a great matchday experience. I also want to say that I am not just passionate about the club song but with all aspects of the club. This includes, recruitment of players/ establishment of an Academy/junior development, managing their own stadium/ licenced club, better promotion of the club and even a better use of our club colours ( Red, blue and yellow).
Good luck mate. I hope an outcome all is happy with is achieved!
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”