2018/19 Preseason Matches

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Reds
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Re: 2018/19 Preseason Matches

Postby Reds Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:34 am

I don't think he is injured, I think he is being nursed to match fitness to avoid a season like the last one. We'll know more when we see the team sheet for the cup game this week I guess.
Dropped by training. Full squad doing some high intensity training whilst Baba was on his own doing light work. Seemed to be going through the training that iiso was going through when he first came so seems to be a conditioning thing only.

Lads looked sharp at training, great mood, high intensity and goody and iiso were cleaning up together in a small pitch game, they look to understand each other quite well.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:46 pm

Hopefully baba is getting the carusca treatment where every week is about keeping him fit rather than running high intensity drills risking injury.

Im not so sure though.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:47 pm

I don't think he is injured, I think he is being nursed to match fitness to avoid a season like the last one. We'll know more when we see the team sheet for the cup game this week I guess.
Dropped by training. Full squad doing some high intensity training whilst Baba was on his own doing light work. Seemed to be going through the training that iiso was going through when he first came so seems to be a conditioning thing only.

Lads looked sharp at training, great mood, high intensity and goody and iiso were cleaning up together in a small pitch game, they look to understand each other quite well.
What about blackwood? Apparently he has been on the injury list and started his preseason very late.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:39 am

What about blackwood? Apparently he has been on the injury list and started his preseason very late.
Was pretty sure Blackwood was with the main group, though they were training a fair distance away on the second pitch with the session taking place in the middle with the goals on the 6 yard line and the pitch width marked from the edge of the box so they were packed in tight.

Though there was no mistaking Regan, he was very vocal on the training pitch, especially when someone kicked a ball right into the face of lia I think. They all had a good laugh at that while he was on the floor.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:47 pm

I saw the club share some images of training the other day and saw Baba training so that's positive. Although I read on (I think) the Red Army FB page that Baba is injured again. I imagine we'll find out Wednesday. If so I can certainly understand people's frustration with him but personally I still think he's worth a punt. Unless the club has someone of similar quality lined up I think the club should continue to focus on getting him ready for the start of the HAL season as they still have 6 weeks to build him up.
Time to Djbate!
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:00 pm

Starts at 3:25.
The history is not the best with Baba with injuries, and I'm going to be serious to set him up for a good season but currently he's not ready for 90 minutes and I put players on the bench only available for 90 minutes
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:04 pm

Yes, the bloody off season is tooooo long.

I hope that will change.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:13 pm

Game day tonight! Any word on squads?
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:48 pm

I will be at a meeting so I miss out on the game...

:(
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:46 pm

No Baba in the squad.

AP to start
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:17 pm

Lost 2-0 away to City today (12 September), very closed doors friendly. Baba and Blackwood travelled. City's match report as follows.
Melbourne City continued their preparations for the FFA Cup Quarter Finals on Wednesday as they defeated Adelaide United 2-0 at CFA Melbourne on Wednesday.

A first half blitz from the hosts secured the result as Lachie Wales and Dario Vidosic found the back on the net in the space of four minutes to secure the result.

After taking on the Reds a fortnight ago in Adelaide, City knew what to expect from their opponent, starting more cautiously against Marco Kurz side.

The first chance of the match fell to Adelaide as Craig Goodwin looked dangerous in his new midfield role. The midfielder found space on the edge of the area however the quick City defence got close enough to pressure his effort, seeing his shot fall straight to Eugene Galekovic.

City took control of the contest and made the most of their advantage, finding the back of the net after 12 minutes. A brilliant combination on the left involving Scott Jamieson found the feet of Bruno Fornaroli as the striker pivoted and looked forward towards goal. A darting run from Wales through the Adelaide defence was rewarded by the Uruguayan as he slotted his one-on-one effort past Paul Izzo.

City doubled their lead four minutes later as a wonderful turn from Luke Brattan in the middle of the park opened the door for the opportunity. His through ball on the right to speedster Michael O’Halloran made room for the Scotsman to drive down the wing as his cutback to the run of Vidosic saw the experienced forward make no mistake to double City's lead.

Adelaide were looking for answers and it seemed to have come through the unlikely source of Michael Jakobsen as his marauding run resulted in a cutback to Ben Halloran as he flicked his effort over the bar. City finished the half stronger however, forcing Izzo into two smothering saves off the boots of O’Halloran and Riley McGree late in the first stanza.

A change in formation by the Reds tightened things up in the second half as the hosts found it more difficult to break down the Adelaide defence.

Mark Birighitti made his debut for the Club after half time and was called into action after 56 minutes. A turnover from Bart Schenkeveld opened the door for Adelaide’s attack to counter as Goodwin’s fierce effort struck the keeper’s near post.

The keeper was in the thick of the action once again as a second phase cross from Vince Lia sailed towards the back post as Birighitti palmed his effort away from goal.

As the sun set at CFA Melbourne, so too did the chances in the match and it was Adelaide who would have the last opportunity after 73 minutes. A cleared ball into the path of Goodwin saw the attacker chest his effort down and volley towards goal, rocketing off the outside of the post and away from danger.
Images and video available at https://www.instagram.com/melbournecity/ (no login required)
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:04 am

Good news that they both featured.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:36 am

Offseasons get worse every year.

Im not sure if the ffa cup makes it worse having a little taste then going another month with no football.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:07 am

^^^

You are right Shin.
The "rest of world" is playing football and we are still waiting.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:07 am

It is frustrating and a club like AU who barely shares their home ground they are ready to go.
Clubs like Sydney, Brisbane and Newcastle would have to kick off their seasons with ripped up pitches.
I wonder if generating more games out of the FFA Cup could work?
Have R32 games as a once off, then with R16 divide the clubs up into 4 groups of 4 and all games are held at NPL grounds. Play 3 games in the group stage in the lead up to the HAL season then go back to knock out games after that.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”