FFA Cup 2018

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: FFA Cup 2018

Postby sevengoals Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:01 pm

The FFA need to worry about things that matter like getting expansion of the A-league right, introducing a national 2nd division, having a proper youth league, organising friendlies for the Socceroos, instead they fritter away their time on making a big issue out of nothing.
If a club wants to Italian or Greek or Russian or Brazilian or Kalifumbiwhunkonaian why stop them? Does it really matter? Get a proper league structure together, have every body in it and if an ethnic club is successful and is in the A-league then so be it. If not they can stay in the 3rd or 4th or 5 tier and IT JUST DOES NOT MATTER.

FFA need to sort out the big picture and not worry about a club having a tiny symbol of Italy on there shirt.
It does. It alienates new supporters and brings back the image of the bad old days. We changed to the a league to rid the racial crap and segregation.
The media already hate football and this crap would just help them with their propaganda

I'm 58 and second generation having been born down there.
Other second generation "ethnics" have children and some even grand children by now so that would be already 3rd / 4th generation if I'm not mistaken.

What are you taking about, "racial crap and segregation" ?
These people are Australians not even bloody "new Australians" any more.
If anything the FFA is perpetuating / creating racism and segregation by excluding these people based on their cultural and ethnic backgrounds.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Reds
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:00 pm

The FFA need to worry about things that matter like getting expansion of the A-league right, introducing a national 2nd division, having a proper youth league, organising friendlies for the Socceroos, instead they fritter away their time on making a big issue out of nothing.
If a club wants to Italian or Greek or Russian or Brazilian or Kalifumbiwhunkonaian why stop them? Does it really matter? Get a proper league structure together, have every body in it and if an ethnic club is successful and is in the A-league then so be it. If not they can stay in the 3rd or 4th or 5 tier and IT JUST DOES NOT MATTER.

FFA need to sort out the big picture and not worry about a club having a tiny symbol of Italy on there shirt.
It does. It alienates new supporters and brings back the image of the bad old days. We changed to the a league to rid the racial crap and segregation.
The media already hate football and this crap would just help them with their propaganda

Other second generation "ethnics" have children and some even grand children by now so that would be already 3rd / 4th generation if I'm not mistaken.

If anything the FFA is perpetuating / creating racism and segregation by excluding these people based on their cultural and ethnic backgrounds.

B)
I think they are trying the opposite. As soon as we start assigning ethnicities to certain clubs we invite the whole race issues we saw in the old days. Let’s keep it Aussie. No need to start chucking other countries flags on club shirts. It’s divisive and has no place anymore. We need to remember where and who made football what it is but we also need to grow up and create our own heritage of Australian football. I’m not saying forget our heritage I’m saying let’s look to the future.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:32 pm

B)
I think they are trying the opposite. As soon as we start assigning ethnicities to certain clubs we invite the whole race issues we saw in the old days. Let’s keep it Aussie. No need to start chucking other countries flags on club shirts. It’s divisive and has no place anymore. We need to remember where and who made football what it is but we also need to grow up and create our own heritage of Australian football. I’m not saying forget our heritage I’m saying let’s look to the future.
With respect i could not disagree with you more.

Aussie is , english , german , croatian , italian , greek , maltese, macedonian. Etc This IS out culture.

I cant really think of any of my friends who are not proud aussies yet are born overseas or have at least a parent or grand parent who migrated to Australia

Celebrating it is fantastic, im not one bit intimidated by any club with an ethnic background i think its a fantastic part of australian culture.

The old days have left us where racial issues were a point on contention at the nsl matches.

What is aussie without all that culture?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:17 am

I agree shin. Football in australia wouldn’t exist without that rich heritage. But I think we matured past dividing up clubs into ethnic groupings. As the Crawford report showed when you do this you invite the old political, racial and cultural issues to resurface that plagued the sport and held it back.
I would never turn my back on the history but we must learn from it if we do not want it to repeat.
There is no place to divide clubs, because make no mistake that’s what it does when you start flying those flags, into ethnic groups.
This sport should be about our local community , all of the melting pot, together as a region, not a particular group based on the racial ties.
I could never support west ADELAIDE Hellas and feel a part of I wasn’t Greek just the same as Adelaide Juventus if not Italian. What’s wrong with a non ethnic team representing everyone.
If we let teams go back to those old world ties we we only limit our growth.
Obarizk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jordan Elsey

Postby Obarizk Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:37 am

The difference between having one top level, like the NSL, with ethnic clubs and having a full A-leauge structure with a 2nd division and promotion relagation would be huge. The A-league was made to try and cater for everyone because there was only a very limited number of clubs who could compete at the top level. If we had a proper structure then the club with ethnic backgrounds could find their place. There would still be a number of the other clubs in each city which would be playing in the league structure for everyone to support. In A
Also Avondale is not in the A-league, it is a local club competing in the FFA Cup. It is a lot different than Adelaide United wearing the colours of a flag on their uniform to identify with that group.

So I don't think it matters if Avondale has the Italian flag colours on their shirt.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:29 am

I agree shin. Football in australia wouldn’t exist without that rich heritage. But I think we matured past dividing up clubs into ethnic groupings. As the Crawford report showed when you do this you invite the old political, racial and cultural issues to resurface that plagued the sport and held it back.
I would never turn my back on the history but we must learn from it if we do not want it to repeat.
There is no place to divide clubs, because make no mistake that’s what it does when you start flying those flags, into ethnic groups.
This sport should be about our local community , all of the melting pot, together as a region, not a particular group based on the racial ties.
I could never support west ADELAIDE Hellas and feel a part of I wasn’t Greek just the same as Adelaide Juventus if not Italian. What’s wrong with a non ethnic team representing everyone.
If we let teams go back to those old world ties we we only limit our growth.
Clubs can easily celebrate their history while not discriminating. Most of the so called ethnic clubs have expanded beyond their ethnic barriers of the past with 2nd 3rd generations well and truly assimilated into aussie culture.

All south aussies are able to enjoy and celebrate the german roots of hahndorf without feeling unwelcome, surely we can do the same with some football clubs without excluding anyone.

While i understand the premise of us “all being the same “ and it probably makes sense to many. There are also those with continental europe ancestry who feel not being able to celebrate their origin stories in such a way is a trigger for segregation.

At the end of the day its just a misunderstanding by 2 cultures who both want the same imo, the answer is a greater understanding between all parties is needed and not the authoritarian approach ffa seem to take
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:00 am

COME ON UNITED!!!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:12 pm

Anyone know if this is broadcast on digital radio?
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:42 pm

Looking forward to Marden tonight.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:29 pm

CCM line up. No idea what formation.

Pearce, Clisby, McGing,Rowles, Cisse, Melling, Nisbet, Pain, Berry, McGlinchey, Simon

Bench: Kennedy, Kekeris, Vinci, Miller, M'Mombwa
sub007

Postby sub007 Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:30 pm

I don't wanna come off as complacent but if we don't wipe the floor with them, then I will be worried.
sub007

Postby sub007 Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:33 pm

Our line up

Izzo
Strain Elsey Jakobsen Galloway
Isaias
Lia Boland
Kitto AP Goodwin

Bench: Richards, Marrone, Regan, Ilso Nathan K
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:30 pm

Lions FC v Adeliade United in the round of 16.
A trip up to Brisbane.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:06 am

Comets host Heidelberg. It should be a good night out for those who can make it.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Bentleigh greens showing themselves to be an NPL standout season after season .

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”