Who are REALLY the big clubs?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Who are REALLY the big clubs?

Postby Stuckey Tue May 01, 2018 7:11 am

Thats my point.

We clearly have the support, even if many have been pushed away by previous decisions of the club i think that support still remains and we will see a rise in crowd figures next season.

It really comes down to what our annual turn over is in comparison to the big 4.

I certainly dont think we can put ourselves in the same bracket as wellington and ccm anymore
In Gombau's first season the only club that had a lower turnover in the HAL was Wellington. At the time MV's turnover was around the $20m mark. AU was roughly around the $7m.
IMO I can't see it growing a massive amount since then, and if it has grown I can't see it growing significantly faster than other HAL clubs for AU to catch up or over take. I know the club won the championship but besides a bit of extra ticket income that the FFA took most of, winning the HAL doesn't make money. Their sponsorship base is probably a bit more stable now.
I think every club can say their crowds can be better, and of course with a season of good results it would. But with the nature of the HAL it's unlikely any club (especially a club like AU) could maintain those results so naturally the crowds would decline again.
But obviously this can change with the new owners although I don't get the feeling they have the funds to splash around for big name marquees.

I'm excited for the future of the club. I'm just pretty certain they have a long way to go to catch up to the likes of Perth and Brisbane in terms of general club size.
Time to Djbate!
terry tibbs
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby terry tibbs Tue May 01, 2018 9:55 am

Late to this thread, but Shin - and sevengoals if you haven't heard it - here's Joe talking on Conversations about the book and some of the stories from football's history here.

As a skip who only really came to the game with the advent of AUFC, lots of great background and cool stuff in there.

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/co ... an/9105786
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue May 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Late to this thread, but Shin - and sevengoals if you haven't heard it - here's Joe talking on Conversations about the book and some of the stories from football's history here.

As a skip who only really came to the game with the advent of AUFC, lots of great background and cool stuff in there.

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/co ... an/9105786

Thank you for the heads up there terry tibbs!
Gorman's book is excellent and a must for all Australian football/soccer people.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed May 02, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks mate!

I suppose there is a genuine argument that the biggest club in the land may not even be in the A-league.

Its certainly a much more complicated question to abswer than in most countries.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed May 02, 2018 5:31 pm

Thanks mate!

I suppose there is a genuine argument that the biggest club in the land may not even be in the A-league.

Its certainly a much more complicated question to abswer than in most countries.

Yes!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Wed May 02, 2018 5:42 pm

Thanks mate!

Yes!

B)
Or no.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”