Adelaide United v Melbourne City Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

ChillyPhilly
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Re: Adelaide United v Melbourne City Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby ChillyPhilly Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Interesting article in The Guardian today about how we lead the league on shots but are 8th in goals scored. The quality of chances created are low.

Basically agrees with what the erudite here are saying: our football has become naiive. My personal opinion is that we’ve undone all the good work of the Spanish era, and we’re almost unwatchable.
Agreed, but we're also decent to watch at our best - the Cup final being proof of that. Opposition fans speak of our playing style positively.

Re: The Guardian, I think in addition to that, the team also needs to look at the type of shots they are taking. Less outside the box, speculative efforts is needed.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:10 pm

Interesting article in The Guardian today about how we lead the league on shots but are 8th in goals scored. The quality of chances created are low.

Basically agrees with what the erudite here are saying: our football has become naiive. My personal opinion is that we’ve undone all the good work of the Spanish era, and we’re almost unwatchable.
Agreed, but we're also decent to watch at our best - the Cup final being proof of that. Opposition fans speak of our playing style positively.

Re: The Guardian, I think in addition to that, the team also needs to look at the type of shots they are taking. Less outside the box, speculative efforts is needed.
Yeah that comes back to what I was saying a couple of weeks ago. The club doesn't have a player who can regularly find a player in the area who can take an effective shot.
Mileusnic's ball into the area against City for the goal is exactly what I'm talking about. How often does that occur? Now I'm not saying something like that is an easy thing to do regularly. But its a skill AU lacks and other sides possess.
Time to Djbate!
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:15 am

Johan is our only player capable of such positioning, timing and shooting.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:05 am

that's rubbish. I love Johan but anyone would have scored from there. It was crap defense. He was left completely unmarked by Schenkeveld coming across into the centre - he didn't make a great run, all he did was hold his position and then capitalise on a good cutback when mysteriously there was no City player within 10 metres of him.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:46 pm

I agree that Johan is the only player we have who can consistently:
1) put the right ball into the box, like Mileusnic did for him (others can only do this rarely);
2) be in the right place at the right time (yes, all he did was hold his position and wait, but others would have rushed in to the back post looking for the ball across the goalmouth);
3) put the ball in the net (usually we put it over the bar, into the keepers arms, or have the shot blocked)

(Note: Baba can do 2 and 3 above, but can't do it consistently because he isn't available.)
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:23 pm

that's rubbish. I love Johan but anyone would have scored from there. It was crap defense. He was left completely unmarked by Schenkeveld coming across into the centre - he didn't make a great run, all he did was hold his position and then capitalise on a good cutback when mysteriously there was no City player within 10 metres of him.
The reason for that is because Konsta was in a position to shoot still while at the same time Dzengis was storming into the 6 yard box, effectively drawing two players away from where the ball is to be played. Retreating to protect the goals is the logical thing to do.
Which is why the cutback is such an effective pass to make as it goes almost completely against what the defence expects instinctively.

I think all credit for this goal should go to AU. It was just such a wonderfully crafted goal.
The build up play was clean and with speed. Mileusnic's run was closed down but he didn't panic and eventually found the right pass to make, which he executed to perfection. Konstas run and pass was timed well so he had three options (shoot, pass with power and hope for a deflection or cut back). Dzengis did an excellent job drawing players. Absolonsen was on the scene quick enough to take a relatively easy and chance.
Time to Djbate!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:22 pm

Poacher's goals still require the scorer to be in the right place at the right and time and be composed enough to take the chance. As said somewhere above, plenty of HAL players would miss and have missed those opportunities.

I like Absolonsen, he impresses every time he plays. A few good games to finish the season and I'd probably take a gamble on him for next season.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:40 am

The reason for that is because Konsta was in a position to shoot still while at the same time Dzengis was storming into the 6 yard box, effectively drawing two players away from where the ball is to be played. Retreating to protect the goals is the logical thing to do.
Which is why the cutback is such an effective pass to make as it goes almost completely against what the defence expects instinctively.

I think all credit for this goal should go to AU. It was just such a wonderfully crafted goal.
The build up play was clean and with speed. Mileusnic's run was closed down but he didn't panic and eventually found the right pass to make, which he executed to perfection. Konstas run and pass was timed well so he had three options (shoot, pass with power and hope for a deflection or cut back). Dzengis did an excellent job drawing players. Absolonsen was on the scene quick enough to take a relatively easy and chance.
Yeah I agree with all of that - it was a well-worked team goal, and Johan happened to be the player on the end of it. I would back most of our players to finish from that position.
My comment on City's defense is not that Schenkeveld did the wrong thing, but that there was plenty of time for another player to get back and cover Absalonsen, and nobody did.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”