Ideas to Improve the Club

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Ideas to Improve the Club

Postby blahblah Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:35 pm

As we have a new CEO being actively recruited, it may be a good idea to throw up some ideas to improve the club. Help him or her along as it were.

Some ideas that won't require millions include:

(i) Having some recognition of the Kaurna people, with our strip carrying some of their motif's/art work with a different piece each year. Include a Kaurna ceremony/dance prior to our first home game of the season.

(ii) A stronger, publicised, move towards the Cantera system, with an improved payment % to NPL clubs for international transfers.

(iii) Inviting NPL clubs involved in the FFA Cup and the NPL finals to access AUFC rest & recovery facilities.

(iv) All games to be played at Coopers. The extra few thousand we miss out on are more than likely to be recovered by people returning due to their experience at a full Coopers.
Rojos
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Re: Ideas to Improve the Club

Postby Rojos Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:48 pm

Club being represented not only in the NPL but all the way down to U10's, like EPL clubs.
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:40 pm

As we have a new CEO being actively recruited, it may be a good idea to throw up some ideas to improve the club. Help him or her along as it were.

Some ideas that won't require millions include:

(i) Having some recognition of the Kaurna people, with our strip carrying some of their motif's/art work with a different piece each year. Include a Kaurna ceremony/dance prior to our first home game of the season.

(ii) A stronger, publicised, move towards the Cantera system, with an improved payment % to NPL clubs for international transfers.

(iii) Inviting NPL clubs involved in the FFA Cup and the NPL finals to access AUFC rest & recovery facilities.

(iv) All games to be played at Coopers. The extra few thousand we miss out on are more than likely to be recovered by people returning due to their experience at a full Coopers.
I HATE the first idea, it just be meaningless tokenism. I would rather the club send the players to Aboriginal communities and help them. Putting a symbol on the strip achieves NOTHING. Either the club should be serious about the issue or stay right away from it.

The rest are very good and I would support them

Mine would be,

Massive improvement in communication with fans and the community in general. We had signings made and never announced, this is just not good enough.

More advertising of games. Yes it costs money but if done well it should be repaid and much more.
I am Scott
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:00 pm

I've had a detailed think and the themes I've come up with are reconnecting with our past, improving inclusiveness and refreshing the game day routine and environment.

Non-expensive ideas:
  • Improve social media even further. Social media and communication have come a long way since the dark days of the late 2000s and until early 2013. I think social media can be improved only further, with greater build-ups to game day. I am biased and limited in my view because I only follow one club in the EPL, but Arsenal's social media presence and content is great, and their website regularly wins awards and recognition. For example, they'll have past player interviews about 'facing the rival', 'how to score a free kick like club legend X', 'ten best goals vs Opponent X', and so on. All stuff relevant to the fixture. Who remembers 'Adelaide United vs Wayne Rooney' from 2007?
  • More club-sponsored competitions that are outside the box. (I have ideas, just can't think of them as of typing!)
  • Make use of different social initiatives on game day to make each one somehow feel different and also more inclusive to those who attend. Two things: involve the crowd and make use of club staff. Staff and the board need to get involved where feasible. Let's have the quirky personality and banter from the social media managers and article writers to be visible in certain spheres. Let's have Greg Griffin challenge the perceptions fans have about him.
Ideas requiring slightly more investment, either of time, effort or money:
  • Continue to host fan forums/member's night/fan information sessions: preseason, midseason, post-season. This ensures continued dialogue between members and the club that has continuity.
  • Get past players or local past greats involved in game day and the build up. For example, have Cassio come out before KO and try and replicate a famous goal or score a crazy free kick or shoot from halfway. Imagine Sergio van Dijk making a trip to watch us play, then before KO vs Melbourne Victory, replicating his free kick against them from 2011?
  • Improve visual presence and branding in the public. This can include more billboards, full tram hoardings, event partnerships, charity initiatives, media hosting stints on radio or TV and much more. This has improved subtly this year, and I've seen updated matches on trams as the first few rounds passed this season.
  • Reduce membership and ticket prices - especially for single tickets and family passes.
Somewhat out of our control, or big in scope in rough order:
  • The club makes a stand against the FFA and boycotts all directives on active support areas.
  • Get Noel Gallagher to perform 'Wonderwall' before a game. I'd say 'Oasis' but Liam is an asshat half the time.
  • Close Manton Street between Holden Street and Mary Street on game day and turn it into a village-style thing with markets, stalls, pop up bars, food trucks and so on. This in the future would complement a completed Bowden redevelopment.
  • Stadium upgrade to include roofed stands, improved infrastructure, upgraded corporate suites and rooms and increased seating.
  • Rebuild of stadium to move it from being a glorified exhibition venue to being the true home of the club.
  • Total redevelopment of the area surrounding the stadium.
  • A move to a new stadium.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Ghost

Postby Ghost Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Excellent post Chillypilly
I am Scott
Max Power
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Robert 20 Goals Younis

Postby Max Power Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:53 am

Hell no to the politically correct Karuna people bollocks, achieves nothing.

Gold coin donation or what ever you like and if we raise $10k for charity Griffin gets dunked at half time in a dunking machine
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Postby mikeewanuk Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:08 pm

Here's the dilema. Do we remain a local club with local owners operating on shoestring budget with predominantly local talent. Or do we want to be bought out by Chinese sqillionaires and flooded with ex-internationals and promoted all over the place? Our present owners are well off financially on a personal level but will not use their hard-earned cash to sink into the money pit that is Adelaide United. And quiet honestly, why should they? The board saw the Club as an investment and are waiting for a takeover. Recently an offer of $10m was rejected as the board wanted twice that. Purely out of greed.
So we must realise that it will be status quo for at least another three seasons. Or until FFA get their act together and expand the league and revise the broadcasting deal.
We, as fans, can do our bit by turning up every match and tolerate the less than perfect conditions. Coopers is still the best place to watch football in Adelaide. And the team on the pitch is one of the best to wear Red for a long time. I'm looking forward to Sunday January 14 when we can show Sydney who is the best team in the league. And of course, all the games before and after.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 pm

The shutting of the street and bringing in food trucks mentioned above by chillyphilly is one that has been called for many times and it is brilliant.

But why would the stadium management want it? They want people in the ground buying iver priced hot chips.

Paella pans when Gombau kicked off and October-fest at the start of this season were two times we should have closed the streets and embraced the culture.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Put this on another thread, but maybe worth posting here too.

When Galekovic retires I'd love to see an Adelaide United Stars team take on an A-League Stars team as a charity fundraiser where we get to say thank you to so many of our old favourites - Eugene, Travis Dodd, Cassio, Van Dyke, Carrusca, etc.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:41 pm

I think the easiest thing to do for the club is think of ways to let the fans do the marketing for them.

-Design the FFA cup strip competition. The club picks the best (doable) 2 and let the fans vote.

-Xmas toy drive. Cross promo with a childrens charity, last home game before xmas get fans to bring toys to donate to less fortunate kids. Take it one step further if they want and give everyone who donates the crappiest cheapest possible santa hat to wear for the game.

-AUFC reporter for a day. Get a winning fan to interview a couple of players with fan questions after training and chuck it up on facebook/youtube. Preferrably some starting XI players.

-Design a bumper sticker competition.

These are things that require little money because you are getting the fans to make the content/effort for free. Some of these things can actually make the club money.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:07 pm

I think the easiest thing to do for the club is think of ways to let the fans do the marketing for them.

-Design the FFA cup strip competition. The club picks the best (doable) 2 and let the fans vote.

-Xmas toy drive. Cross promo with a childrens charity, last home game before xmas get fans to bring toys to donate to less fortunate kids. Take it one step further if they want and give everyone who donates the crappiest cheapest possible santa hat to wear for the game.

-AUFC reporter for a day. Get a winning fan to interview a couple of players with fan questions after training and chuck it up on facebook/youtube. Preferrably some starting XI players.

-Design a bumper sticker competition.

These are things that require little money because you are getting the fans to make the content/effort for free. Some of these things can actually make the club money.
How easy would it be to find some media students at uni looking for stuff to add to their resume.

Give them total access to the club to make 2 videos a week that the clubs uploads to YouTube, give add revenue to the students.

The guys on outside90 do an amazing job on tiny budget.

The biggest thing for me is i really know nothing about Kurz , absalonsen ..... pretty much every player is a mystery to me as to who they are off the pitch.

Rewind to the days of dodd, cassio castanzo, flores , gombau etc i had an idea of who theae guys were or atleast their public persona abd it was much easier to identify with the club on a personal level.

Atm we may as well just refer to each player by their number because thats about all the personality we get to connect with. So if a long time fan is havng trouble connecting with the club on that level good luck finding new fans when other codes do this very well.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:39 am

Close part of the South end, set up a stage and get a Hilltop Hoods gig on one night after fulltime.
Ghost

Postby Ghost Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:53 am

Close part of the South end, set up a stage and get a Hilltop Hoods gig on one night after fulltime.
A good way to stop me going to the game.
I am Scott
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:26 am

“I’m from the city of light, with a sky of vanilla
Known as the city of churches home of the serial killer
And in the summer it feels like a hundred degrees “
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:30 am

heh, we already have Foo Fighters ruining the pitch again in January.

I really like the idea of making game day into an event in the surrounding streets though - market stalls, music, food trucks etc.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”