Paul Izzo

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Paul Izzo

Postby EdDog Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:47 am

Thought the lad deserves his own thread.

I personally didn't rate him a lot when he was here the first time around. Always had big raps but just didn't deliver when he did get his (albeit limited) opportunities.

Fast forward to the start of this season and it was clear that he had improved but was he an improvement on Eugene? Big shoes to fill.

He had a poor game against City and Eugene had a blinder and I thought maybe it was a mistake letting Huge walk.

But since then Izzo has just gone from strength to strength and been absolutely vital in helping us pick up points.

I have completely changed my tune on him and think he can be the next Ryan or Birighitti. He is an outstanding keeper.

I'd also recommend that next time you watch the boys play at Hindmarsh, just take notice of how much Izzo talks to his defence throughout and how he commands his box. It's a massive strength of his in my opinion and a big flaw that we had with Eugene. I duck down to ground level to watch some games and he literally talks from 0 to 90 minutes.

Well in Paul!!!
Last edited by EdDog on Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: Paul Izzo

Postby sevengoals Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:59 am

Super! Izzo! Super!
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:34 am

A socceroo in the making
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:54 am

Goodlucl to him.

Perfect example of talent just needing consistent game time.

More games more teams more opportunities please
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:29 am

Ive always rated his shot stopping, its been his aerial work and kicking that has been an issue. I liked that in the aftergame interview, although Fox were raving about his game, Izzo said he was disappointed with his footwork and needed to work on that. This is what will drive him to being a top keeper. Well done Izzo!
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:56 am

Agree with EdDog and The Claw completely.
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Postby mikeewanuk Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:28 am

Dominated his area and made several world class saves. His time has come.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Dominated his area and made several world class saves. His time has come.
Yeah i think thats it.

He always looked like a talented keeper and had huge wraps from those in the know.

Im the aleague though he looked like a keeper who didnt quite believe in himself plagued by silly errors.

The belief is clearly there now, the unfortunate thing about izzo when comparing him to eugene ( from an aufc perspective ) is that its only a matter of time until he is given an offer in europe.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:39 pm

Ever since the City game, he's been fantastic and hasn't set a foot wrong. If he keeps up his form, he'll need his passport for Russia.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:22 pm

I didn't really criticise the move to sign him over Eugene. He using too much cap space, was on the decline and Izzo was coming off a pretty good season with the Mariners and I was willing to put up with some mistakes as he developed more with us. I'm just pleasantly surprised with how quickly he's coming into his own.

I'm still expecting the odd game where he might cause us some problems but the decision to sign him is definitely looking like the right one.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:32 pm

Funny thing is, I heard that we signed him with the intention of keeping Euge as #1. Izzo was never going to return home to warm the pine, so it's a bizarre bit of info.

I was very confident to see him with us - he's going even further than the form he displayed with CCM.

Also, let's start a thing.

Things Paul Izzo Can Save:
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Paul Izzo

Postby EdDog Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:02 pm

I didn't really criticise the move to sign him over Eugene. He using too much cap space, was on the decline and Izzo was coming off a pretty good season with the Mariners and I was willing to put up with some mistakes as he developed more with us. I'm just pleasantly surprised with how quickly he's coming into his own.

I'm still expecting the odd game where he might cause us some problems but the decision to sign him is definitely looking like the right one.
Exactly my thoughts too.

For me, as much as a legend Eugene was, it was almost refreshing when he left. He had been here through so much that I think it sometimes weighed on him and us.

As tough as it was seeing him leave, I feel like it turned over a fresh page for us. A lot of the ghosts of season's past left with him.
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Exactly my thoughts too.

For me, as much as a legend Eugene was, it was almost refreshing when he left. He had been here through so much that I think it sometimes weighed on him and us.

As tough as it was seeing him leave, I feel like it turned over a fresh page for us. A lot of the ghosts of season's past left with him.
Sorry, I am still here, I did not leave with Eugene.
I am Scott
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:16 pm

Great young keeper making huge steps forward.
This is the year of Izzo at Adelaide United, he really needs to find the right move overseas at the end of the season. I hope he does and then we can have Daniel Margush as first choice next season. And then perhaps two years after that Isaac Richards can take replace Margush. Let the production line continue.

However he has no chance of being on the plane to Russia.
I am Scott
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:31 pm

Exactly my thoughts too.

Agreed. There was something stale about us last season and we needed a freshen up. Outside of Eugene, I would have liked to keep a bit more of the playing philosophy but we have at least kept the concept of playing young locals which I feel has become an important part of our identity.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”