Best midfield trio?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Best midfield trio?

Postby Old Gregg Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:21 am

Let's play a hypothetical and assume all our central midfielders are fit at the same time (lol, i know).
Who's our best 3 out of Isaias, Adlung, Matmour, Konstandopoulos, Lia, O'Doherty, Kitto, Brook ..?
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Re: Best midfield trio?

Postby ZANZIBAR Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:32 pm

depends on the game and style required. Defensively isais, adlung and lia work well. More attacking you would swap lia for matmour. But most of that list are able to do the job.
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Isa and then add what you need.
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:41 pm

It depends a bit on how we are going to play.
Are we going to get the wingers to come inside more and be the creative players and the fullbacks to push up and overlap a lot?
If so then the midfield trio will probably need to be more defensive, Isaias looking to drop back in between the CBs and the other two midfielders to look to be in a position to stop counter attacks.
If we go with trying to get only one full back forward at a time or make them stay at home lot with the wingers staying wider then we need a more creative player in the middle like Matmour to fully commit forward and be a goal scoring option.

Having two midfielders like Isaias and Adlung in the middle who are skilled but get through a massive amount of work is great for the team and does allow us to have a player like Matmour, who perhaps does not have quite the same work rate, to be an attacking option if we want.
I am Scott
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:02 pm

Isaias
Adlung matmour

Without question.

Adlung plays similar to the jeggo/ mauk role so well. He is a fantastic athlete.

Isaias , enough said!

Matmour still finding his feet but has more speed than chelo.

Potentially stronger than out championship midfield once things click.

Prefer to have konsta off the bench rather than lia simply due to age but both can do a job if need be.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Ghost

Postby Ghost Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:35 pm

I will add to what I put above Matmour would be on the right wing coming inside a lot of the time if we go with a more defensive midfield with Lia or Konstandopoulos.
The five imports are clearly all in the starting XI, it is just whether Matmour plays centrally as a number 10 or as a winger / inside forward. Also it is whether the 6th player is Lia or Konstandopolous or Kitto or MIluesnic, or O'Doherty.
I am Scott
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Isaias
Adlung matmour

Without question.

Adlung plays similar to the jeggo/ mauk role so well. He is a fantastic athlete.

Isaias , enough said!

Matmour still finding his feet but has more speed than chelo.

Potentially stronger than out championship midfield once things click.

Prefer to have konsta off the bench rather than lia simply due to age but both can do a job if need be.
I'd love to start Konsta but I agree on paper that is the best. Hopefully (for Konsta) if we find Matmour begins to tire late on Konsta can get a good 20 mins most weeks. IMO he's done nothing but impress me this season. His strength on the ball and ability to maintain possession has been wonderful, and a skill beyond his age IMO.
Matmour obviously has shown a level over skill beyond what the 21 year old has but I'm excited that Matmour is under serious pressure to perform. If fitness starts to become an issue for him I really believe Konsta isn't a massive step down for the side.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:40 pm

Isa and Adlung starters ever day of the week.

Third mid depends but either Matmour, Lia or Konst.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:38 pm

If we have no one else but Mileusnic to play at RW then I'd rather play Matmour there and have Konsta in the middle with Adlung and Isaias.

If kitto can play RW then I'd play him there and have Matmour, Adlung and Isaias in the middle.

Basically Konsta is my fourth choice after the three imports.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 am

Isa Adlung
Marmor

But Konsta is a step up on Mells and is not far off it.
Oh how I pine for Mauk....
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:23 pm

With matmour i think uts important to remember he plays a similar role and style to chelo.

So he can only play as well as the team around him allows. He needs time on the ball in good areas and intelligent runs around him to either open up space or to put a killer ball in.

One thing i dont understand is critism of matmours work rate. Do we really think Kurz would allow anyone to put in 70% effort?

Given adlungs work rate and athletism matmour should have plenty of opportunity find space that same way chelo/ mauk combo worked.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Ghost

Postby Ghost Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:30 pm

With matmour i think uts important to remember he plays a similar role and style to chelo.

So he can only play as well as the team around him allows. He needs time on the ball in good areas and intelligent runs around him to either open up space or to put a killer ball in.

One thing i dont understand is critism of matmours work rate. Do we really think Kurz would allow anyone to put in 70% effort?

Given adlungs work rate and athletism matmour should have plenty of opportunity find space that same way chelo/ mauk combo worked.
I have mentioned Matmour's work rate in this thread. I did not mean it as a criticism, certainly not as saying Matmour does not put in 100%, I meant it as being an observation on him as a type of player. I simply do not expect a number 10 to cover the same amount of ground as Isaias or Adlung. I never expected Carrusca to cover the same amount of ground or to be as effective defensively.
I am Scott
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Matmour still needs time but that was by far his best display on Thursday night.

He’ll get better as the year goes on.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:07 pm

I have mentioned Matmour's work rate in this thread. I did not mean it as a criticism, certainly not as saying Matmour does not put in 100%, I meant it as being an observation on him as a type of player. I simply do not expect a number 10 to cover the same amount of ground as Isaias or Adlung. I never expected Carrusca to cover the same amount of ground or to be as effective defensively.
Yeah that’s my thoughts as well.
I still believe the best we ever witnessed from Carrusca was late in the championship season where he was his usual skilful self but also was in peak fitness. His work rate and ground coverage in that period was stunning. If Matmour can get close to that I’ll be a very happy boy!
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:34 pm

Yeah people see a player like him strolling around but dont realise its more is role to slip into available space that other create due to their hard work.

In defense matmour usually sits next to baba near the half way line abd both really just apply average pressure on the back 4.

Its their job to find the right positions during transition and usually matmour falls back into midfield with the ball.

I guess its just one of those roles where the average punter doesnt quite understand his role assumes if he isnt sprinting up and down the pitch he isnt earning his wage.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”