Perth Glory v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Perth Glory v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby EdDog Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:20 pm

I agree with Rojos. I find our new style frustrating: it’s ugly, direct and isn’t winning us games so it isn’t effective at all. This is gonna be a long season.
Prior to half our squad going down we were undefeated up until our last two games including FFA Cup and and only lost one game in preseason.

The last two games is where the injuries have been the difference. Take out 6 starters from any team in the league and they will get beaten by Glory 1-0 at home.
Whilst win-loss is very important its not everything. When we went 0-8 with Josep we could at least see the young lads playing football and learning.
We also had a full strength side for those 8 games.

I’ve watched all FFA Cup games and all HAL games and we were looking really good until the last two weeks, even now we were only beaten by City and PG and not comfortably.

I agree it’s not great watching but it will be when we get our squad back.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:28 pm

Kurz has mentioned a number of times he will not commit to one “style” and that each game and opponent will require a different outlook.

Given how short staffed we currently are I think its clear Kurz is trying to minimise damage until we get players back.

We really do have alot of quality injured currently
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:49 pm

Ghost, I agree to a point with you about only really Johan and Baba needing better replacements but I will say that Isaias is noticeably more defensive with the younger CB pairing. Although our CBs have been playing well, we are weaker in the midfield as a result.
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:57 pm

Ghost, I agree to a point with you about only really Johan and Baba needing better replacements but I will say that Isaias is noticeably more defensive with the younger CB pairing. Although our CBs have been playing well, we are weaker in the midfield as a result.
That is a good point. At times Isaias seems to be a CB with Adlung and Konstandopoulos being dual DMs but that has not stopped us getting forward well through midfield many times in the last two games. It has been up front we are lacking and no where else.
I am Scott
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:22 pm

I was not a big fan of the clubs decision to clean out to the extent we did. Feel like we spent the last 4 years building an identity and a style of football, which developed a good number of young players and delivered us trophies. While we did need some changes in both playing and coaching personnel it would have been better in my opinion to try and keep that core philosophy in my opinion.

Saying that, I can't rely fault what Kurz's has done so far:
1. All the talk about training the players hard. I expected lots of soft tissue injuries but apart from Absolonsen, Baba and Matmour (kinda ironic how it's the foreigners falling over when this is apparently "European" training) the injuries have been mainly impact injuries. Wait and see.
2. Recruitment, Matmour needs more time but the rest of the players he's brought in have been good and have adjusted quickly. Johan has been spectacular and I really like how Adlung goes about his business.
3. Playing style. Not as attractive as we've seen in the past but we do still control games a reasonable amount. I'm ok with how we will go back to a compact defence when we're under the pump. Goalscoring is definitely a problem. Even with our better attackers I feel many were scored from individual brilliance than being well worked. Feels similar to Amor's first season so it could all click and become awesome.

Too early to pass judgement IMO but I'm not super concerned yet.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:26 pm

I agree with Mcjules

The club really encouraged fans to buy in the this new identity with gombau and amor.

Kurz represent very little of the spanish era which from a marketing point of view leaves fans scratching their heads when we are told how our amazing youth sustem will feed into the senior team, yet its halted before it really had a chance to bloom.

This is an aspect i admire about brisbane, since ange they have kept their identity despite personel changes
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:44 pm

It's clear that if we had Tegan and Gulum it would make a massive difference to the way we play. Isaias could actually push into midfield and allow one of the others to get further forward.

Our first choice team is as good as anyone. How is it that AU players are fair targets for the thugs on other teams. The Matmour "tackle" injury was IMO caused by a deliberate strike with the forearm. How many players do we have to lose before the Refs will take action.
spaceCowboy

Postby spaceCowboy Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:19 am

No need to panic, I would be more worried if I was Perth then Adelaide.
We played well with an undermanned team.
Missing so much experience across the park, given time the team will get back to winning games.

We still have plenty of youth coming through and playing (albeit due to injuries).
Although we have a German coach and some new players, the core philosophy is still there.
We are UNITED, after all....

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”