WATRs Player of the 2017/18 Season - Rd 4

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Michael Marrone
10%
Ben Warland
18%
Isaías
18%
Karim Matmour
2%
George Blackwood
No votes
Nathan Konstandopoulos
6%
Nikola Mileusnic
No votes
Ben Garuccio
14%
Paul Izzo
No votes
Jordan Elsey
12%
Daniel Adlung
18%
Ryan Kitto
No votes
Jordan O'Doherty
No votes
Apostolos Stamatelopoulos
No votes

Total votes: 49
mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:26 pm

The unbeaten run was good while it lasted :)
Ghost
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Re: WATRs Player of the 2017/18 Season - Rd 4

Postby Ghost Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:33 pm

I don't know, it is so different at the ground, maybe I have got it all wrong, but Elsey, Warland and Isaias for me. Adlung close as well.
I am Scott
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:14 am

Adlung isaias warland

I felt elsey played better than warland but gave warland the nod given his experience level and the strikers he defended against.

Good performance from the team given our outs. Its exciting to know just hiw much talent we have to come back in while also having the youth who can hold their own in the league
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:32 am

Sorry Mcjules! Forgot to set this up!

Elsey, Konstand and Garuccio for me.
Garuccio's crossing still isn't 100% but he got into some good areas and held on to the ball well under strong pressure.

How does everyone view Konstand's game? IMO he was a real danger coming thru the middle and under serious pressure did well to maintain possession. Only criticism is that he went missing a touch later on. But that area of the park was such a strong battle ground no one from either side had a perfect game there.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:02 pm

Sorry Mcjules! Forgot to set this up!

Elsey, Konstand and Garuccio for me.
Garuccio's crossing still isn't 100% but he got into some good areas and held on to the ball well under strong pressure.

How does everyone view Konstand's game? IMO he was a real danger coming thru the middle and under serious pressure did well to maintain possession. Only criticism is that he went missing a touch later on. But that area of the park was such a strong battle ground no one from either side had a perfect game there.
I couldnt understand selecting him over odoherty given his form last season.

However he performed well last night most certainly well above his pay grade.

This seasons squad is starting to remind me much of Amor MK 1. Quality and hungry visa players at the top with some youth at the bottom who are pushing for regular game time showing quality above their wage.

If we can keep a fit squad then i see no reason we cant challenge for the big trophies this season
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:33 pm

Isa, Adlung, Elsey. Could have also voted for Warland and Konsta, and Garrucio had some good moments too.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:52 pm

Went with Isa, Warland and Garuccio.

Warland really impressed me and was unlucky not to score.

Isa great as usual.

Though Garuccio was great in an attacking sense and kept Kamau very quiet.
Ghost

Postby Ghost Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:02 pm

I know there was, and I think quite understandably, some disappointment with Tongyik leaving but with Warland performing very well it is more understandable that he left and Warland staying.

Konstandopoulos has a touch of Isaias in him at times when he keeps the ball huge under pressure and somehow creates space. Kurz has said he has very good technique and that is showing. I think he brings more to the team than Lia and would like him to stay there even when Lia comes back. If given time he could really blossom the way Jeggo, Mauk and McGree have done when given time in recent years.
Arguably our 5 imports take 5 of the 6 spots in the midfield and forwards of our best XI. Is the 6th spot going to be LIa or Konstandopoulos or MIluesnic or someone else?
I am Scott
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:23 pm

I know there was, and I think quite understandably, some disappointment with Tongyik leaving but with Warland performing very well it is more understandable that he left and Warland staying.

Konstandopoulos has a touch of Isaias in him at times when he keeps the ball huge under pressure and somehow creates space. Kurz has said he has very good technique and that is showing. I think he brings more to the team than Lia and would like him to stay there even when Lia comes back. If given time he could really blossom the way Jeggo, Mauk and McGree have done when given time in recent years.
Arguably our 5 imports take 5 of the 6 spots in the midfield and forwards of our best XI. Is the 6th spot going to be LIa or Konstandopoulos or MIluesnic or someone else?
I guess it depends on Matmour's role. I think he showed last night that he's either got a lot more work to do fitness-wise or he's just not fast enough for the wing. Bringing him centrally was a good move I think as he got into handy areas. But facing what at this point is the best defence in the HAL while they're 2 goals up probably isn't the best time to judge him too harshly.
I think he's got a lot more in him personally. If his transfermarkt page is anything to go by he's barely played since 2016. So I very much doubt he's at peak fitness just yet.
Time to Djbate!
Ghost

Postby Ghost Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:41 pm

I guess it depends on Matmour's role. I think he showed last night that he's either got a lot more work to do fitness-wise or he's just not fast enough for the wing. Bringing him centrally was a good move I think as he got into handy areas. But facing what at this point is the best defence in the HAL while they're 2 goals up probably isn't the best time to judge him too harshly.
I think he's got a lot more in him personally. If his transfermarkt page is anything to go by he's barely played since 2016. So I very much doubt he's at peak fitness just yet.
Was he really moved centrally?

I know he was there a bit at times but as far as I could tell that was just him roaming around.

As far as his pace goes, I thought he looked faster in round 1, but maybe I am wrong. He certainly was standing still or walking a lot of the time the rest of the team were jogging to keep team shape when City had the ball so maybe he was trying to conserve energy as he is below his best fitness wise.

I just realised he perhaps looks a bit like Castro did in his early games for Perth, someone who was a very good player but perhaps does not still have it. Castro quickly showed he just needed to get used to the league and get quicker, perhaps Matmour is in a similar situation.
I am Scott
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:42 am

Matmour is a bit of an enigma, touches of brilliance but also a few misplaced passes or moments where he held onto the ball for too long rather than laying it off.
I went for Garuccio, Marrone & Adlung but the votes really could have gone anywhere.
For a 2-0 loss I'm very happy with that performance.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:18 am

Matmour will get better. Probably wouldn’t have started but for injuries.

Looks a lot like a younger Carrusca out there.

He’s going to have the toughest time adjusting to this league as he’s more technical than physical (opposite of Adlung and Johan).

He just needs time.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 pm

Matmour will get better. Probably wouldn’t have started but for injuries.

Looks a lot like a younger Carrusca out there.

He’s going to have the toughest time adjusting to this league as he’s more technical than physical (opposite of Adlung and Johan).

He just needs time.
Yeah thats true adlung and absalonson have adapted so quickly and it probably no coincidence that they are more physical players yet still very skillful in general aleague terms.

Matmour played most of his football in france and germany so phisicality should not phase him but given his skill set will probably take more time to adjust to the the subtle differences of the league.

I think clubs should take note the way players who are naturally physical have adapted here and adjust their scouting accordingly. Obviously highly skilled 10s are needed but it took chelo and ninkovic almost a full season before they showed their worth
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:11 pm

Yeah and you can just see it in their build:

Johan just pure muscle
Adlung is very wirery
Matmour is probably the leanest of the 3 and not that muscular.

Again, not doubting his pedigree, but he’s had the worst preseason and injury record so will just take a bit to get settled.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”