Adelaide United v Melbourne City Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Ghost
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Re: Adelaide United v Melbourne City Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby Ghost Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:31 pm

Just back home from the game.

Frustrating game.

Izzo giving away a penalty by being miles too late on Mauk was not the way to start the match.

Excellent free kick by McCormack and it is 2-0 down and going to be next to impossible to get back.

Miluesnic is not good enough.

Matmour was a liability off the ball but I wonder whether he is fully fit.

Garuccio does lots of very good things and lots of bad things but his crossing is not good enough. He does hit the occasional good one but most are poor.

Warland and Elsey were very good although Warland needs to cut out the under hit back passes.

Blackwood can hold the ball up very well but he tends to do it to far from goal and too wide so when he lays it off it is more about retaining possession than creating goal shooting opportunities. We need to get the ball to him more just outside the area and he needs to come and meet the play. We also need to hit him with more crosses.

Adlung and Isaias are real warriors and both played well again.

We missed the cleverness that Absalonsen brings around the box and the quality of Baba up front. I don't think we missed Regan. Gulum or Lia.
I am Scott
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:01 pm

Thought we created three or four very good chances (one on one with the keeper didn't shoot, at least two headers that should have been forcing a difficult save but missed, shot or two from inside the area put wide).
That's not counting all those free kicks that we're off target by miles, or Mileusnic's long range effort just off target.

Concerned at Elsey and Warland failing to track the runner well enough for the first goal, although Izzo was clearly at fault for conceding the penalty.

I thought we looked like a young team with half it's first choice experienced players missing. Yes we controlled the game and created chances, but I felt City could have lifted their intensity if they'd wanted to.

No need to panic, but I'll be happy when our senior players are back.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:46 am

That was our greatest ever 2 nil loss tbh. City were not really in it for most of the game.

Given our injury list and citys lineup id say these were positive signs, even warland elsey partnership worked reasonably well.

If i was a city fan id be a little concerned given the manager chise to sit back prior to the red card which to me is crazy given the talent they had on the pitch.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:57 am

Sitting back on a 2-0 lead away from home seems the exact opposite of crazy.

Seems pragmatic to me.

Agree that we were better apart from the score line though.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:07 am

Seems pragmatic to me.

All they did was invite us in.

Nothing wrong with being conservative when your up, but they just couldnt play football, their midfield showed nothing .
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:11 am

Seems pragmatic to me.

Nothing wrong with being conservative when your up, but they just couldnt play football, their midfield showed nothing .
Exactly the same way we played against WSW in the Cup semi.

I know why you are saying, they have quality but it’s still only HAL quality.

If you were the City coach reading the game you would certainly feel lucky to be up 2-0 and would definitely have felt our pressure coming.

Thinking you have all this attacking quality on the bench so “let’s go out and score 3 or 4” just shows arrogance.

Joyce read the game well and shut up shop.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:44 am

Seems pragmatic to me.

I guess they backed themselves to defend well. Which they did. AU really had very few opportunities to shoot in decent areas. That's really where Mileusnic not taking his chance killed the game for AU. It seemed pretty unlikely AU were going to get a better chance than that. Although saying that if both sides took their easy chances Mauk would have scored too.

Pretty funny that one keeper played a faultless game. The other was responsible for a penalty and could have done better on the free kick.
Time to Djbate!
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:06 pm

Bringing on Cahill really helped City at the end. He provided an aerial presence up forward which they had been lacking and allowed them to interrupt us effectively.
I am Scott
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:20 pm

Disappointing game to watch. Too desperate in the last 20 mins. Rather than trying to build decent attcks we were just putting it to Gooch or Niko and hoping they would put in a good cross.... they could not.

Thought Kitto should of come on a lot earlier. Only experienced foward on the bench and he can and will actually shoot. I thought that Marrone off for A.S. was a counter productive sub. Marrone can cross and was playing very well, A.S. hardly had a touch.

Mileusnic needs a couple of games on the bench, not good enough IMO.

Konsta was really good, I'd play him over Lia and can see him being this seasons McGree.

Elsey and Warland both played well but Isaias is having to drop back to support them and that is costing us in midfield.

Blackwood is not a presence up front. The quicker Baba is fit the better.

Izzo out for Margush maybe.

Really soft 2 yellow-red for Malik after City are up by 2 and looking clear. The conspiracy theorist in me says that now all the AUFC fans cant complain about all the red cards that should of been in our last 3 games and we can't say we're hard done by the referees because look at this soft send off of MCYs worst player on the field after they are up by 2 and parking the bus.

Galeckovic flying through the air to save Warlands early attempt pissed me off, he barely moved in his last season here lol
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:50 pm

My biggest disappointment wasn't even with our poor finishing - it was with some puzzling and frustrating substitution decisions.

Why so late?
Why take Marrone off?
Why put Kitto on with just four minutes remaining?

It would have been beneficial to be wiser tactically and put a player like Kitto on as soon as Malik was sent off. We had a one man advantage at that moment, but Kurz failed to adapt and use that advantage. If I were Kurz, I would have told Kitto to do what he does best: get the ball and run straight at defenders. He could have kept running at La Rocca to unsettle him, which would have worked.

Oh well, onto next week. Absalonsen was only precautionary (apparently), so we should have him back at least.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
spaceCowboy

Postby spaceCowboy Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:55 am

I'm really warming to Ben Warland,
A defender that can actually shoot is so rare (in the aleague at least).
He had a decent chance with a header as well.

We were missing too much experience in this game, City played it well.
We are UNITED, after all....
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:50 am

The only strange sub for me was Marrone off, because he was one of our best. I don't mind that we made changes late because the players on the park were all doing their jobs and we were dominating (aside from the fact that there was a forcefield around Galekovic's goal).
Ah well. When you concede a clumsy penalty early and that's backed up by an unstoppable free kick it's always going to be a tough ask. Aside from that we were the better side, we'll pick up plenty of points playing like that.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”