Mayer resigns?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: Mayer resigns?

Postby sevengoals Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:11 pm

Get a "football person" in.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Reds4Life
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: RE: Re: Mayer resigns?

Postby Reds4Life Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:25 pm

As with most CEOs he had his positives and negatives.

We won trophies under his watch but we've also seen a large disconnect between players, supporters and the club.

We've also seen the establishment of a good training facility and continued growth of our youth stocks, but failures in recruiting.

Depends whether you're a glass half empty or half full kinda person I guess.
The training ground was before Mayer and the trophies won were because of the work of Gombau/Petrillo/Amor.

I guess you could attribute the IGA and Macron deals to him.
CEOs are judged on financials, and our club is in a better place than when he arrived.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:26 pm

Don't see this as an issue myself. A sporting person sure but I don't think they need to be a sport specific person.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:03 am

Surely we can find a 'football person' and not go down the path of the generic sports administrator / professional CEO.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:49 pm

Don't see this as an issue myself. A sporting person sure but I don't think they need to be a sport specific person.

I believe we need someone who understands football from the very beginning.
Someone the supporters can relate to and who knows and respects the game's history and culture in South Australia /Australia.

I also would prefer someone who is "second generation/wog friendly" and not from "Adelaide's old school establishment".
Being South Australian would be a super bonus.
Someone dynamic, forward looking and football mad.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:06 am

We won trophies under his watch but we've also seen a large disconnect between players, supporters and the club.

We've also seen the establishment of a good training facility and continued growth of our youth stocks, but failures in recruiting.

The training ground was before Mayer and the trophies won were because of the work of Gombau/Petrillo/Amor.

Yeah exactly much of the positive things he can claim, he had nothing to do with the set up of. The championship he would have had nothing to do with. The training ground was established before he arrived. The record membership figure is debatable as much of that would have been from the championship. Maybe the IGA sponsorship.
This season would have been the first season where the club needs real leadership and they are basically back to the point prior to Gombau joining. Essentially the biggest thing he's achieved is playing a role in undoing all that great work from Gombau/Petrillo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Time to Djbate!
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:00 am

Spot on Stuckey, that is how I see it. Mayers greatest accomplishment is IGA and playing at Marden.....
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:26 am

I believe we need someone who understands football from the very beginning.
Someone the supporters can relate to and who knows and respects the game's history and culture in South Australia /Australia.

I also would prefer someone who is "second generation/wog friendly" and not from "Adelaide's old school establishment".
Being South Australian would be a super bonus.
Someone dynamic, forward looking and football mad.

B)
Again I don't see it as an issue. Take the AFL for instance, Andrew Fagan came from a rugby background and now since he joined the Crows they are going from strength to strength, same with the lady at Richmond.

I think having a sporting background is important but it doesn't have to be this one. That's been the issue with this code for too long, far too insular and closed minded.
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:48 am

Yeah exactly much of the positive things he can claim, he had nothing to do with the set up of. The championship he would have had nothing to do with. The training ground was established before he arrived. The record membership figure is debatable as much of that would have been from the championship. Maybe the IGA sponsorship.
This season would have been the first season where the club needs real leadership and they are basically back to the point prior to Gombau joining. Essentially the biggest thing he's achieved is playing a role in undoing all that great work from Gombau/Petrillo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whilst I don't disagree with what is being said here, to be fair to Mayer, if this season is a success then he will deserve some of the credit. He was heavily involved in signing Kurz, possibly Kovacevic was more involved, but Mayer certainly played a role and would have had some role in the signing of Baba, Gulum, Absalonsen and Matmour.
So while he seemingly has not achieved a lot yet the final judgement on his time at the club perhaps needs to wait a few months. The club has clearly lost its way in the last year or so, Mayer has to take a large part of the blame, but maybe it is now heading in a better direction.
I am Scott
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:55 pm

I think we are making quite a few assumptions about things we know very little about.

Its very hard to judge someones performance when we know very little about the targets and reaponsibilities his employers set for him and just as importantly the limitations that were also placed on him.

Im sure we all have careers where the customer makes certain unfounded assumptions about our roles that are outright rediculous in practice. I would assume Mayer is no different.

The only thing that we can conclude is he did nothing to effectively bridge the gap between club and fans. While he was very approachable and candid answering phone calls and emails from fans plus apparently sitting in with the red army on occasions the fact is fan discontent is now such a normal thing that we have become used to it.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Gianaqua
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Carrusca

Postby Gianaqua Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:28 pm

Shin,

I love your considered and reasoned comments on this forum. I think we all to varying degrees make assumptions on situations we don't know much about. We are all often unfairly judgemental on situations, and I feel like you bring everyone back in check and remind us all not to get too carried away.

I am an avid reader of this forum, and an infrequent contributor, but I wanted to acknowledge your thoughtful commentary. I respect our opinion on this forum greatly, as I think you are truely considered in your input.
terry tibbs

Postby terry tibbs Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:03 pm

Did that marketing role get filled? I reckon there's a lot of room for improvement in the field especially improving awareness and advertising to the general public.
All down to budgets from my (limited) knowledge. The rise of social media means organisations can turn to digital and convince themselves they're 'engaging' with the masses. Rather than talking in an echo chamber of a niche group of followers, and it looks like AUFC have fallen into the trap.
depending what the specific job brief for AUFC ceo is id love to see Bonita Mersiades at the club.

It would never happen given her relationship with the FFA, plus i cant help but feel her talents would be wasted running an aleague club. Not sure what she is up to these days.
That is a sensational idea Shin. Won't happen, but exactly the kind of appointment we need at this point in the clubs' - and the HAL's - life.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:24 pm

yeah i think she would be a good fit on many different levels, though i do believe she is a keen sfc fan.

Thanks Gianaqua! Although i have a fantastic pair of rose tinted glasses i wear during the 90 minutes of any given reds games Lol
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:59 pm

I think we are making quite a few assumptions about things we know very little about.

Its very hard to judge someones performance when we know very little about the targets and reaponsibilities his employers set for him and just as importantly the limitations that were also placed on him.

Im sure we all have careers where the customer makes certain unfounded assumptions about our roles that are outright rediculous in practice. I would assume Mayer is no different.

The only thing that we can conclude is he did nothing to effectively bridge the gap between club and fans. While he was very approachable and candid answering phone calls and emails from fans plus apparently sitting in with the red army on occasions the fact is fan discontent is now such a normal thing that we have become used to it.
Yeah I understand what you're saying we don't know the full story and I know from times when I've heard the entire story on an issue effecting the club we can hear about how hamstrung HAL clubs are by the operations of the FFA. With the difficulties the club faces thru the FFA, FFSA, Coopers Stadium, PFA and keeping the fans happy its a tough gig as often the same decision would be positive to one group and negative to the others. But that's the gig he signed up for.
I'm certain his role isn't an easy one but as you say there is a significant disconnect between the club and the fans and right now its been smoothed over a bit by the wonderful FFA Cup result and some very welcome signings. But that is really just normal operations the club still isn't doing anything out of the ordinary to fix the issue.
To be honest I would be very surprised to hear that Grant had even heard of the players the club has signed let alone had anything to do with the signings.
As you say again this season was the real test for him. Which is why its so disappointing for him to hit the road as it doesn't allow us to fully decide whether he was good at his job or not. But claiming a GF win that he really had very little to do with as the highlight of his time here is not a good look IMO.
I'm sure he could have done a worse job with the club, but TBH Petrillo achieved more while undertaking the TD role at the same time.

I know it's not a simple role but personally it's not rocket surgery either, get the hardcore fans on side and they'll do a great deal of the heavy-lifting for the club in the community.
Time to Djbate!
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:00 am

Any movement here? Is the search on?

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”