What is going on at this club

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: What is going on at this club

Postby sevengoals Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:08 pm

Irrespective, you have still raised a good question - WTF is going on at AU??
I'm wondering when we get the first Teutonic spray from Kurz...

:mrgreen:
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:28 pm

In the end Kurz will be judged on his results and I hope he gets a fair crack at it.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
MartinAUFC
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:02 pm

This is what has been happening at the club:

The Grand Final winning coach left it until after the season finished to decide to go back to Spain despite the club tabling offers and wanting him to stay after a less than successful season. Therefore the search for a new coach couldn't begin in earnest until he had made his decision to leave. The new coach, once found and offered the job, took a couple of weeks to make his mind up.
During this period any major new player recruitment was going to be impossible as no new coach worth his salt would join a club with a squad completely put together before his arrival. Now the new guy has been here a couple of weeks and has had time to assess the team needs it's up to him to source the players required to fill the gaps.

The season starts in October, not August. Why are people pushing the panic button in mid July ?

And for the record, last year's pre-season recruitment wasn't late... it was just plain average. Guardiola, Makarounis, Marino, Kitto were all pretty ineffectual. Garuccio was the only positive addition as far as last's season performances were concerned imo. So maybe the club are being a bit more careful and deliberate this year.

I haven't visited this forum for a while, partly because I got too busy at work which is when I came on most of the time (don't tell the boss). But I also steered clear because I figured last season it would have just degenerated into a sea of depressing negativity and endless board bashing. I thought maybe a new season would have brought back a bit more positivity.
Obviously I was wrong.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:14 pm

It is interesting that so many fans can see that delaying recruitment so late isn't helping the club on the pitch.
I wonder if as fans/members we should start looking at delaying our membership purchases collectively?
I think it would be totally fair enough from fans to say "You complete your squad and I'll pay up for my membership."
I'm not saying only buy if we like the signings. I'm just saying get a squad together and get them fit and ready to go for the beginning of the season, then we as fans will pay our end of the bargain. If a couple of thousand got on board with something like that I think the club would have to listen.
No one expects the club to make rush signings. Its just the total silence and lack of ability to do so in the past that's scaring fans. I'm really not interested in watching the club get up to speed in the first few weeks of the season.
I wonder if enough fans get behind this it may change the way the club deals with their existing players? If the club knew that they only had a few players to seek out as the majority have been re-signed this would smooth out pre-season and less of the membership base would be hesitant to put their hard earned money into the club again.
Time to Djbate!
The Claw
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:47 pm

^^ it would be nice for the club to show us some idea of their ambitions/ plans before expecting members to sign up. Anyone else leaving this week??

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”