United Playing at Norwood Oval!?!

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Reds4Life
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: United Playing at Norwood Oval!?!

Postby Reds4Life Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:49 pm

Totally agree
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:05 pm

What Stuckey said.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:56 pm

I have only ever sat in the Western Stand but I think Hindmarsh is excellent. It is great to get very close to the action and support the team, love it. Playing elsewhere would only be worse. I am sure the conditions with sun, heat or the rare rain are much worse in the other stands but as Stukey says if they can be improved by covering them then it would be ideal. This would not need any extra stadium footprint. filling in the corners is another option.

Moving to Norwood or any other current option would be a massive and perhaps club ending, mistake. However it is not happening so we can keep going to Hindmarsh and enjoying watching the team. With Baba up front we will win games so it really will be enjoyment.
I am Scott
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:47 pm

What Ghost said.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:55 am

Filling in the corners ala 2000 Olympics and covering the stands probably brings us up to 23K or thereabouts which is ideal.

With that though the other facilities would need upgrading which is fine.

AEC don't seem to want to spend too much cash on it, which is dumb given it would help them attract other events.

Adelaide can't just have 1 world class venue, let's make Hindmarsh another
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:25 pm

I don't think there is any merit for more seating when we struggle to get 10k to games.

Need to continually see crowds of 13 k and over to be in a position to ask for a greater seating capacity .

Selling a few extra ticket on the back of good form is one thing, making those larger crowds sustainable over multiple seasons is where the goal needs to be to have a reasonable shout for an upgraded capacity
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:12 pm

The club won't do it, but we need to find out why people don't go every week. Is it the club, is it the location of the stadium, is it ticket prices or is it the fact that we have no FTA coverage.

We've seen what a new city stadium has done for the AFL clubs, AU doesn't even need that IMO
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:34 pm

I think we get quite good free to air coverage imo in comparison to other clubs , always have.

I think ticket prices are reasonable.

Location should not be an issue, public transport is quite good to Hindmarsh. It could be better marketed by the club explaining how people can travel to the game on public transport either by bus, train tram or a combination. However I think this is a non issue really.

It's possible the port/ south overpass roAd works have affected attendances.

However I think the clear and constant disconnect between fans and club is the one and only reason we cannot pull good crowds consistently.

I doubt there are many long time members who haven't thought long and hard about ending their memberships due to the same old crap year in year out.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:58 pm

I'd agree that the disconnect between club admin and the fans is disastrous for the club. There's also no excuse for it. We have a small membership and a close relationship is not only attainable but highly desirable. A club our size cannot simply be a professional business. Sure, a few of us on here complain about the way past stars have been treated but I sincerely believe that the projected 'culture' of the club doesn't feel inclusive or respectful of those of us who pay the bills in many ways. Yet again this season has ended with enormous disrespect shown to fans and champions who are leaving. You simply can't do that. We're hardly a global brand beyond criticism.

The stadium is an absolute joy to watch football in and we should be glad to be in it. Sadly the franchises and bars are poorly run and the game-day atmosphere (despite a really good effort from the ground announcer) lacks any sort 'family' feeling. Putting a basic roof structure over the E, N &S ends would also make a massive difference to spectator comfort and noise levels in the ground. The acoustics of football make a HUGE difference.

AU has made the same mistake that many small schools do when they start to grow. Rather than cultivating their 'community' feel and roots they go 'corporate' in their communication and play to an elite. It never works and it alienates fans.

In essence there is nothing at all wrong with Hindmarsh or our deal with AEC. That's just business and it's one hell of a football stadium. What's amiss is the relationship with the fans in terms of our involvement and comfort.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:29 pm

I think we get quite good free to air coverage imo in comparison to other clubs , always have.

Location should not be an issue, public transport is quite good to Hindmarsh. It could be better marketed by the club explaining how people can travel to the game on public transport either by bus, train tram or a combination. However I think this is a non issue really.

However I think the clear and constant disconnect between fans and club is the one and only reason we cannot pull good crowds consistently.

I doubt there are many long time members who haven't thought long and hard about ending their memberships due to the same old crap year in year out.
It's always been this way though, we've never ever filled it consistently so it's not just the owners. IMO people look for reasons not to go.

We get so many Friday night games so there's no reason everyone of them shouldn't be full. You put Hindmarsh right next to AO ala AAMI Park and it's full every week
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: United Playing at Norwood Oval!?!

Postby bpowell454 Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:48 pm

I'd agree that the disconnect between club admin and the fans is disastrous for the club. There's also no excuse for it. We have a small membership and a close relationship is not only attainable but highly desirable. A club our size cannot simply be a professional business. Sure, a few of us on here complain about the way past stars have been treated but I sincerely believe that the projected 'culture' of the club doesn't feel inclusive or respectful of those of us who pay the bills in many ways. Yet again this season has ended with enormous disrespect shown to fans and champions who are leaving. You simply can't do that. We're hardly a global brand beyond criticism.

The stadium is an absolute joy to watch football in and we should be glad to be in it. Sadly the franchises and bars are poorly run and the game-day atmosphere (despite a really good effort from the ground announcer) lacks any sort 'family' feeling. Putting a basic roof structure over the E, N &S ends would also make a massive difference to spectator comfort and noise levels in the ground. The acoustics of football make a HUGE difference.

AU has made the same mistake that many small schools do when they start to grow. Rather than cultivating their 'community' feel and roots they go 'corporate' in their communication and play to an elite. It never works and it alienates fans.

In essence there is nothing at all wrong with Hindmarsh or our deal with AEC. That's just business and it's one hell of a football stadium. What's amiss is the relationship with the fans in terms of our involvement and comfort.
Really well put, I agree and second everything you've said.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:56 pm

I would only disagree with our deal with the AEC. It's not a good one, but it can be rescued.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:46 pm

It's always been this way though, we've never ever filled it consistently so it's not just the owners. IMO people look for reasons not to go.

We get so many Friday night games so there's no reason everyone of them shouldn't be full. You put Hindmarsh right next to AO ala AAMI Park and it's full every week
AAMI isn't full every week either.
IMO Australians just don't do full stadia unless they really have too especially Adelaide.
Take Footy Park. Held over 50k but the amount of times 50K rocked up was rare.
I think if Hindmarsh held 20k we'd see closer to 15k show up each week. But it would still only be the big matches that we see more than that.
Time to Djbate!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:26 pm

We all know that the team needs to start playing good football and winning games again.
That's the only way to fill Hindmarsh.

More games and 4 more teams in the league would also be good.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:04 am

I still remember the night it was a full house against Victory and Kewell........ for a trial game !!!

The league needs to find a sustainable way to get the big names in. Sure, we have some superb players but the names bring the people. I know I'll cop stick for this but I'd love to see a club go after Rooney once he has finished winning trophies with us !!!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”