Welcome Marco Kurz

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Ghost
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Welcome Marco Kurz

Postby Ghost Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:46 pm

I just thought it was time for a new thread to discuss the new coach, partly prompted by the club put up on twitter the first of 5 short videos on the process of how the club signed him.

https://twitter.com/AdelaideUnited/stat ... 5446444032

I am very happy with the appointment, he is due in town by the end of the month to start work on the squad. Hopefully we can get three very good foreigners to fill out the squad
I am Scott
EdDog

Re: Welcome Marco Kurz

Postby EdDog Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:05 pm

I am happy we have a coach, however I will reserve judgement on Marco until I've seen more from him.

His CV has some big clubs on it, however his recent dismissals concern me, and the fact he hasn't coached for 18mo is a massive alarm bell.

I'm also a little concerned by the fact it took a while to convince him to sign. I'm hoping he was just getting assurances from the board re funding/players etc. Or holding out for a better offer from the club. However, the pessimist in me says he is not 100% committed and had nothing else on offer (after not having coached for 18months).

I can see this going well and I can see it going extremely poorly and him leaving after half a season.

Time will tell.
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:13 pm

I am happy we have a coach, however I will reserve judgement on Marco until I've seen more from him.

His CV has some big clubs on it, however his recent dismissals concern me, and the fact he hasn't coached for 18mo is a massive alarm bell.

I'm also a little concerned by the fact it took a while to convince him to sign. I'm hoping he was just getting assurances from the board re funding/players etc. Or holding out for a better offer from the club. However, the pessimist in me says he is not 100% committed and had nothing else on offer (after not having coached for 18months).

I can see this going well and I can see it going extremely poorly and him leaving after half a season.

Time will tell.
Of course this could be a disaster for any number of reasons, but he has some good coaching experience.
I would be more worried about his desperation to coach if he had jumped at the job extremely quickly. That he took time to sign might mean he has learnt from taking recent jobs where he was not successful and wanted to make sure he could do well here. He is also bringing an assistant which might have drawn out the process a bit as that contract would have needed to be finalised after Kurz had agree to sign.

The chances of getting a coach who has been successful in a league like the Bundesliga in the last couple of years must be extremely close to 0, if not zero. This is about the best we are ever going to attract to the club unless the A-league gets much stronger in playing quality and financially.
I am Scott
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:42 pm

On the face of it I am happy with this appointment. He has time to both build the squad and have it playing the way he envisages.
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:47 pm

The thing that pleases me is he seems to have experience working with smaller budgets which might seem trivial but it's crucial in this country.

Happy we have a coach and it's not August, and the guy made the trip weeks ago to suss the place out. He clearly is keen to take the job or he wouldn't come half way around the world to do it.

Hopefully we give him a capable squad.
RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:13 pm

I think the league itself was something he needed to have a think about. A salary capped league on the other side of the world is a whole different can of worms to what he's used to. I like that he took some time, hopefully he comes now with ideas, enthusiasm and a plan.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:58 pm

Looking forward to seeing what he can do. Hopefully the powers that be at the club have learnt their lesson from last year and make better signings at a more reasonable time.

Keen to see who he signs and what formation he's likely to have us playing.

Who knows if he'll be a great A-league manager, Rini Coolen had good managing stats- a better resume than Gombau and Amor arguably and we all know that doesn't mean much in this league.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:14 pm

I think he will bring a whole new "attitude" to the club.

I also expect a high pressing game with rapid transition to attack when we have the ball.
I'm looking forward to the new season.

Season 2010/11
FC Kaiserslautern 2 - 0 Bayern München
Trainer: M.Kurz

FC Kaiserslautern start well winning their first two Bundesliga games and the second of them was at home against the Bavarians who everyone loves to beat.

B)

Football culture shock coming up.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:08 am

On the face of it I am happy with this appointment. He has time to both build the squad and have it playing the way he envisages.
As long as the club management allows him to...
RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:56 pm

Marco Kurzau.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 pm

I really think we are into something with a German coach , I feel the German style and mentality is much more familiar to Aussies and the aleagues style.

I think it's about finding the right balance of style and flair mixed with grit and physicality .
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:00 pm

Ivo Iličević in those FCK highlights was a cracker goal against Bayern.
Looked him up, 30years old and plying in Kazakhstan. AU reunion with Kurtz on the cards?
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:05 pm

If there's one thing I'm excited (but wary) about, it's seeing what he intends to do with our football. I wish him all the best.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:41 am

If there's one thing I'm excited (but wary) about, it's seeing what he intends to do with our football. I wish him all the best.

I expect a high pressing game with a faster changeover from defense to attack utilizing a more direct way to goal.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:14 pm

Dr.Stefan Oesen- assistant trainer AU
(Doctors degree in sports science)

https://www.transfermarkt.at/stefan-oes ... 639/plus/1
https://www.xing.com/profile/Stefan_Oesen

Last job Video-analyst at Rapid Wien. 2013-16
He left on his own accord.

A German.
And now an Austrian!

Far out!
Better polish up your high school German lads!

:D

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”