Preview- AUFC v Central Coast Mariners 25/03/17

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:15 pm

Team sheet is in and next years captain and Socceroo world cup bolter Isaias is back in.

Unfortunately we lose Chelo to suspension, McGree to NT duties and O'Doherty has picked up an ankle injury with no clues on how severe.

EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:59 pm

Hopefully we see Cirio in midfield and Ochieng, Garuccio and Mileusnic fighting for the two wing spots.

Don't want to see Maka or Mells in mid.
Capac

Re: Preview- AUFC v Central Coast Mariners 25/03/17

Postby Capac Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:10 pm

Mells was better last game when he came on but yeah I think Cirio will go in the middle
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Mells was better last game when he came on but yeah I think Cirio will go in the middle
Its a tough one. Mells was signed at a attacking midfielder. How many opportunities has he actually got to play there? I can't recall any this season.
He appears to be out of favour though.
I think Cirio has been excellent at time in the CAM role.
Personally with Isa back and Kim lining up. I think the midfield can cope with Mells being offered the opportunity.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:26 pm

Mells came with promise but the two local youngsters McGree and O'Doherty are better.
supsup

Postby supsup Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Mells had plenty of opportunity early last season when Carrusca was out. He did some good things, some bad things but certainly didn't set the world on fire with neither touch, nor vision, nor speed nor strength.

This is the battle for the wooden spoon: we play Cirio in a midfield anchored by Kim and Isaias
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:59 pm

Mells came with promise but the two local youngsters McGree and O'Doherty are better.
Yep mells certainly has a long career ahead of him imo but unfortunetly for him he has been knocked down a few pegs with the revelations from the youth team.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:56 pm

Mells had plenty of opportunity early last season when Carrusca was out. He did some good things, some bad things but certainly didn't set the world on fire with neither touch, nor vision, nor speed nor strength.

This is the battle for the wooden spoon: we play Cirio in a midfield anchored by Kim and Isaias
So is that the extent of the opportunities youth are offered at HAL level? No wonder the nation's youth sides are lousy these days.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:10 am

Yep mells certainly has a long career ahead of him imo but unfortunetly for him he has been knocked down a few pegs with the revelations from the youth team.
That's the problem with the HAL. Sides can only manage to have one promising player in one position. Basically kids have to immediately impress. Its rare to see players offered time to develop into a quality player. Especially as if they aren't able to get a decent amount of game time at HAL level. They might be lucky enough to play 10-15 times at NYL level and with club pre-season.
I'd say the youth development system is broken in this country. But it's pretty clear there is no system.
Its been this way since the HAL started. The introduction of the NYL made things better, but the NYL is a token effort now. The FFA is entirely to blame for the sorry state of our nation's youth sides now. As a footballing nation. We're totally dependent on the talent overseas clubs create I feel.
Time to Djbate!
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:18 am

It's become ever evident to all of us over the past month with ACL and Socceroos results that development pathways are in dire and grave need of immediate attention and quality investment.

The FFA are responsible for developing the framework for these pathways, but they have failed miserably. There is no 'failing' - the failure has already been made.

A relatively small salary cap, small squad sizes, restrictive club budgets and limited facilities are the first contributing factors to allowing youth to shine at the top level in our country.

In between, a lack of development of football academies to develop skills so young players are ready for the standards of A-League training and football requirements is the issue. There is a clear lack of progressive structure between junior teams and NPL clubs. Where is the skill development via futsal until the age of 13? Where is the strength training, the psychological building, the culture development?

At the local level, a general lack of investment in grassroots football, from provision of local pitches and related infrastructure to available pathways for promising players sees such youth attracted by the promise of expensive tuition for the rich while local clubs are ripped off blind by the FFSA's exorbitant fees. The costs are passed onto young players and their families, turning many away and pricing some talented youth out of participating in what is meant to be the most inclusive game of all.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:47 am

That's the problem with the HAL. Sides can only manage to have one promising player in one position. Basically kids have to immediately impress. Its rare to see players offered time to develop into a quality player. Especially as if they aren't able to get a decent amount of game time at HAL level. They might be lucky enough to play 10-15 times at NYL level and with club pre-season.
I'd say the youth development system is broken in this country. But it's pretty clear there is no system.
Its been this way since the HAL started. The introduction of the NYL made things better, but the NYL is a token effort now. The FFA is entirely to blame for the sorry state of our nation's youth sides now. As a footballing nation. We're totally dependent on the talent overseas clubs create I feel.
Totally agree.

Even worse is when the young player leaves for olyroos or even socceroos there is no ready made replacement because squad depth is so thin in the hal, not because of a lack of talent but because of a lack of squad places.

It was probably unreasonable for mcgree and odoherty to expect any senior game time this season apart from possibly 2 minutes off the bench for a couple of games each. Suddenly they have been thrown in the deep end and adapted and mcgree is now a senior socceroo. Imagine how many other young players are there who are missing out?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:56 am

Totally agree.

Even worse is when the young player leaves for olyroos or even socceroos there is no ready made replacement because squad depth is so thin in the hal, not because of a lack of talent but because of a lack of squad places.

It was probably unreasonable for mcgree and odoherty to expect any senior game time this season apart from possibly 2 minutes off the bench for a couple of games each. Suddenly they have been thrown in the deep end and adapted and mcgree is now a senior socceroo. Imagine how many other young players are there who are missing out?
Yeah, I truly question that value of the youth NT training camps they have as well. Take O'Doherty, playing well for AU, not a definite starter but getting good game time. Goes to a U23 training camp and misses a game. Someone (for example) like Dugandzic comes in and replaces him, does ok and takes O'Doherty's spot on the bench and then O'Doherty has moved down the pecking order.
So a player who's career isn't really going anywhere and has had many chances to make a real go of becoming a big time player ends up stifling the development of the next generation.
Now I'm not bagging someone like Dugandzic for taking the spot. I just think is there really any value in taking a player out of an environment where they are succeeding while enabling others to take advantage from their absence. The HAL is an incredibly short season. Surely all youth NT camps can but undertaken during the ridiculous off-season. Considering the limited opportunities youth players have taking one match away from them is a big deal.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:18 pm

More teams, more games less imports.

When you think it 5 imports is excessive for a small squad playing minimal games.

Its just so staggering when you look at our best players like luongo, leckie, kruse, rogic, mooy, juric and even cahill. No one was talking about these guys as teenagers ( even rogic was unknown until he played for mariners ) some actually slipped through the gaps. Those that did have some hype about them like Kruse were managed poorly and almost left the games altogether.

Just because we dont have any prodigies does not mean our players wont play in the big 5 leagues. Aussie players seem to develope later than most for some reason.
tinby
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Toure

Postby tinby Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:50 pm

No Carrusca, which after the way he played last week, is a big loss. A mail I received from the club today had Makarounis in it, so it's not what I'd like as I'm still wondering why the club wasted their money, as is Izzo. - score Draw.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”