Riley McGree

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Riley McGree

Postby Stuckey Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:17 am

I know its been mentioned but news like this deserves better than Val's thread!
Caltex Socceroos Head Coach Ange Postecoglou has named a 30-man squad for two crucial 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers later this month including the Reds Riley McGree alongside Tim Cahill, Tomi Juric, Massimo Luongo and Mitch Langerak included after missing November’s 2-2 draw with Thailand
. - See more at: http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/articl ... bRIpF.dpuf

Congrats Riley!
Surely a big new contract isn't far away!
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Re: Riley McGree

Postby shinAUFC Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:38 am

Amazing !

Suddenly we find ourselves in such an aufc position, the youth player who was filling in has shown his worth and now we need to scramble to replace him. Lmao
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:47 am

Amazing !

Suddenly we find ourselves in such an aufc position, the youth player who was filling in has shown his worth and now we need to scramble to replace him. Lmao
True. I would have thought the club would have learnt the value of signing players longer term from the apparently value Mabil got the club.
Hopefully the positive aspect of the Mabil move coupled with the negative aspect of Kamau leaving for free will offer the club something to learn from.

It's interesting that I was chatting to Robert Matosevic last season about the local side. I mentioned to him my disappointment in Pudler moving to Adel City. He said that McGree (although he'd only played a handfull of NPL games) was more than good enough to replace him. 18 months later the kid is a Socceroo.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:41 pm

Yeah considering mauk and goodwin were not socceroos prior to them leaving aufc i would say mcgree has quite a hefty price on his head. It will be interesting if he is playing for us next year.

If he is not with us next year has it actually been worth it? Transfer fees are great but does it translate into success on the pitch ? I feel the only positives of this season have been unearthing odoherty and mcgree but whats the point if they dont play next season.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Ghost
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:53 pm

O'Doherty has been good but nowhere near where McGree is at the moment. I doubt we will have much trouble retaining him, however retaining McGree could be hard. I hope he keeps his head and makes good decisions for his future and stays for another year with us. Going overseas now is premature, we have seen a long list including Yeboah, Pasquali, Mauk, Brillante and Deng move overseas far too soon and struggle to get game time when they could have grown as players by playing regularly in the A-league.

Congratulations on the Socceroos selection.
I am Scott
supsup

Postby supsup Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:09 pm

O'Doherty has been good but nowhere near where McGree is at the moment. I doubt we will have much trouble retaining him, however retaining McGree could be hard. I hope he keeps his head and makes good decisions for his future and stays for another year with us. Going overseas now is premature, we have seen a long list including Yeboah, Pasquali, Mauk, Brillante and Deng move overseas far too soon and struggle to get game time when they could have grown as players by playing regularly in the A-league.

Congratulations on the Socceroos selection.
True.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:35 pm

If I was Riley, I'd want to know what the plans are for next season. If Amor's going, what is the club planning to do?

If he has other offers that's where the risk is IMO.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:51 pm

If I was Riley, I'd want to know what the plans are for next season. If Amor's going, what is the club planning to do?

This is where the club has probably already shot themselves in the foot. We all know he's a huge talent that deserves a new deal. Now the entire league knows. I'd be absolutely stunned if other clubs aren't showing interest in him, which obviously will drive his price up.
His current run of form (if the WATRs voting system is anything to go by) stretches back to mid January. So the club has watched him not just contribute at HAL level but stand out for two months, how much longer do they need to wait?
It truly concerns me that this is a carbon copy of Kamau where the player has shown more than enough to earn a new deal. But the club snoozes and loses.
Time to Djbate!
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:07 pm

This is where the club has probably already shot themselves in the foot. We all know he's a huge talent that deserves a new deal. Now the entire league knows. I'd be absolutely stunned if other clubs aren't showing interest in him, which obviously will drive his price up.
His current run of form (if the WATRs voting system is anything to go by) stretches back to mid January. So the club has watched him not just contribute at HAL level but stand out for two months, how much longer do they need to wait?
It truly concerns me that this is a carbon copy of Kamau where the player has shown more than enough to earn a new deal. But the club snoozes and loses.
McGree >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kamau when Kamau decided to leave and Kamau definitely should have been re-signed.
A lot of teams will be after McGree and to lose him to another A-league club would be beyond criminal, put the whole club hierarchy in front of firing squad kind of punishment required.
I am Scott
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:38 pm

McGree >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kamau when Kamau decided to leave and Kamau definitely should have been re-signed.
A lot of teams will be after McGree and to lose him to another A-league club would be beyond criminal, put the whole club hierarchy in front of firing squad kind of punishment required.
Honestly if we were stable I'd back us to keep him but we're not. There's too many unknowns about what's happening next season. Imagine signing a long term deal and ending up with a Kossie.

That's not to say I don't think we will but it's closer to 50/50 than it should be.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:45 pm

Congratulations to the young man!
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:49 pm

Honestly if we were stable I'd back us to keep him but we're not. There's too many unknowns about what's happening next season. Imagine signing a long term deal and ending up with a Kossie.

That's not to say I don't think we will but it's closer to 50/50 than it should be.
Haha I agree. That should be no chance. The fact there is any is a massive concern.
Time to Djbate!
Capac

Postby Capac Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:44 am

Mcgree has made the 23 man squad. Congrats Riley!!!!

Jimmy Jeggo also gets his first call up.
spaceCowboy

Postby spaceCowboy Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:58 am

Nice work, well deserved.
Ange sees something in him.
Players like Goodwin, Ikon, Burns and Mabil are missing out.
We are UNITED, after all....
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Re: RE: Re: Riley McGree

Postby ChillyPhilly Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:09 am

Nice work, well deserved.
Ange sees something in him.
Players like Goodwin, Ikon, Burns and Mabil are missing out.
Did Matt McKay stay in?
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”