Who "will" replace Amor?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Re: Who "will" replace Amor?

Postby mcjules Thu May 11, 2017 10:36 am

One thing we definitely need is some charisma in the hot seat. Obviously, actually being tactically astute is the main thing, but there's a lot to be said for a Gombau-esque figure who can actually bring everyone along for the ride emotionally.
Agreed, partially the dissatisfaction many of us are feeling at the moment is how Amor didn't want to make any of it about himself. While it has it's advantages the coach of a team like ours needs to have some media presence (without being narcissistic).
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu May 11, 2017 11:20 am

One thing we definitely need is some charisma in the hot seat. Obviously, actually being tactically astute is the main thing, but there's a lot to be said for a Gombau-esque figure who can actually bring everyone along for the ride emotionally.
Agreed, partially the dissatisfaction many of us are feeling at the moment is how Amor didn't want to make any of it about himself. While it has it's advantages the coach of a team like ours needs to have some media presence (without being narcissistic).
I think it more about the club finding the correct way to market the coach. Last season we loved his quiet and classy approach and felt it represented the club well. I can see why it could have been an issue this season but surely its up to the club to breach that gap of manager and players to the fans.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu May 11, 2017 11:28 am

I appreciated Amor's humility but I feel that the team cohesion of last season was to a large extent a product of the Gombau reign.
Let's face it, Gomby and Gui together were pretty much the dream team.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu May 11, 2017 11:29 am

Ch 10 posted a live video of Griff's announcement of Amor leaving.

So according to Griff the club has waited for Amor to make the decision and only yesterday did they learn if he was staying or not.
IMO this is shocking from both parties. For Amor to lead the club along and hold so many players careers in limbo while he finds time to ponder life beyond this season is nothing short of selfish.
For the club to place almost everything on hold while they wait for him is so soft from the board. I appreciate what Amor has done for the club and the reputation the man has. But we're talking about the future of the club, given the season the club has had and the free-fall of crowd numbers and result. I can't see other clubs sitting on their hands waiting for the coach to make their mind up. I just wish the club showed some of the long serving players half the amount of respect they've afforded Amor.

This IMO is the final nail in the coffin of my respect for Amor I called for his resignation after the disgraceful 0-5 lose to Perth. It's sad to see the club is willing not only allow those sort of results to slide, but seasons with results like that are clearly rewarded. He achieved wonderful things last season (which I still feel he only played a part in, as the framework was laid down in the previous season) but the way this season has unfolded and the role he played in that leave a bad taste in my mouth. Last season's success has been soured for me by him out-staying his welcome as far as I'm concerned, and the board highlighting their naivety to the game and shown that an impressive CV means more to them than results and system.
This is one of the few times i find myself disagreeing with you stuckey.

I dont think the club have shown amor much respect at all. He lead us to the double last season with a squad lacking high paid stars. The club then promised fans to give the next seasons trophies including acl a good shake with some big signings. This never happened.

I think amor was thrown under the bus being expected to pull an even bigger rabbit out the hat this season with a dismal squad. The only reason the club didnt sack him was they were unwilling to pay out his contract it had nothing to do with respect. I cant think of a single manager who would have got anything out of this season with our squad.

If anything, the fact that Amor stayed with the club until the end of his contract shows his commitment as he was not willing to jump from a sinking ship despite the lack of talent at his disposal.

In regards to griffins comments.....the less said the better i think. Using some basic critical thinking almost always points to ol griff telling a few stories where the truth is not priority.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu May 11, 2017 11:32 am

I appreciated Amor's humility but I feel that the team cohesion of last season was to a large extent a product of the Gombau reign.
Let's face it, Gomby and Gui together were pretty much the dream team.
Yeah i think they were jointly gumbys trophies also. Although i think amor was handed a weaker squad than gombau so he still had some work to do so first and foremost i have to credit amor.

Imo both men are legends of the club its a shame it ended the way it has.
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Thu May 11, 2017 11:58 am

I wonder whether what has happened behind the scenes was Amor said he would be going, the board asked him to reconsider and they really wanted him to stay but they would consider other options. Amor then waited until the end of the season to tell them he had not changed his mind and was leaving.

Another possibility was Amor wanted the job but did not feel he could take it up again unless he did something somewhat successful during the season. Getting out of the ACL group stage might have been that bit of success and when we failed to get out of the group stage he did not feel he was able to stay.

Either way it is quite clear the club has at least thought it was extremely likely that Amor was leaving and have started to look at options apart from Amor continuing so the club has not been left totally unprepared.
I am Scott
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Thu May 11, 2017 12:35 pm

Whatever the situation, the club does actually seem half prepared for it so that's a good thing.

I hope this means they've learned their lessons from last season. There's still some good quality amongst the players signed which is pleasing.

But work needs to be done.
leigh

Postby leigh Thu May 11, 2017 12:50 pm

On the Batigol as our new trainer rumors... I have a friend who is a huge fan, boyhood hero growing up and all that. Told me once that he got to meet him at a charity event and was somewhat let down, bit of a mad ranting playboy out of touch with football and convinced that divine guidance gave him success.

Obviously not all super relevant information but I do worry that only has his accreditation in Argentina and hasn't been involved in football at all since his retirement. No youth coaching, no backroom mentoring. I mean I think our club our fucked regardless at the moment but it would be step away from our technical approach and a return to Kossi style football I fear.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu May 11, 2017 1:17 pm

Would take Molina in a heartbeat.

Hope we don't get the Argentinian bloke.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Thu May 11, 2017 1:38 pm

GG said experienced coach, but we can probably take his word with a grain of salt. Maybe he'll take the reigns himself, he's got his license...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Thu May 11, 2017 1:51 pm

It once looked good with Gombau/Marti/Valkanis and then later on Amor holding the reins to our footballing department, with Petrillo overseeing things.

How things have changed, where we're now at the point where we don't even know if all the progress that has been built in the football side of things will be continuing.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: RE: Re: Who "will" replace Amor?

Postby Stuckey Thu May 11, 2017 2:06 pm

It once looked good with Gombau/Marti/Valkanis and then later on Amor holding the reins to our footballing department, with Petrillo overseeing things.

How things have changed, where we're now at the point where we don't even know if all the progress that has been built in the football side of things will be continuing.
Yeah exactly that's the most worrying thing. I'd hate to see someone like Batistuta come in and undo everything put in place.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: RE: Re: Who "will" replace Amor?

Postby Stuckey Thu May 11, 2017 2:10 pm

Ch 10 posted a live video of Griff's announcement of Amor leaving.

So according to Griff the club has waited for Amor to make the decision and only yesterday did they learn if he was staying or not.
IMO this is shocking from both parties. For Amor to lead the club along and hold so many players careers in limbo while he finds time to ponder life beyond this season is nothing short of selfish.
For the club to place almost everything on hold while they wait for him is so soft from the board. I appreciate what Amor has done for the club and the reputation the man has. But we're talking about the future of the club, given the season the club has had and the free-fall of crowd numbers and result. I can't see other clubs sitting on their hands waiting for the coach to make their mind up. I just wish the club showed some of the long serving players half the amount of respect they've afforded Amor.

This IMO is the final nail in the coffin of my respect for Amor I called for his resignation after the disgraceful 0-5 lose to Perth. It's sad to see the club is willing not only allow those sort of results to slide, but seasons with results like that are clearly rewarded. He achieved wonderful things last season (which I still feel he only played a part in, as the framework was laid down in the previous season) but the way this season has unfolded and the role he played in that leave a bad taste in my mouth. Last season's success has been soured for me by him out-staying his welcome as far as I'm concerned, and the board highlighting their naivety to the game and shown that an impressive CV means more to them than results and system.
This is one of the few times i find myself disagreeing with you stuckey.

I dont think the club have shown amor much respect at all. He lead us to the double last season with a squad lacking high paid stars. The club then promised fans to give the next seasons trophies including acl a good shake with some big signings. This never happened.

I think amor was thrown under the bus being expected to pull an even bigger rabbit out the hat this season with a dismal squad. The only reason the club didnt sack him was they were unwilling to pay out his contract it had nothing to do with respect. I cant think of a single manager who would have got anything out of this season with our squad.

If anything, the fact that Amor stayed with the club until the end of his contract shows his commitment as he was not willing to jump from a sinking ship despite the lack of talent at his disposal.

In regards to griffins comments.....the less said the better i think. Using some basic critical thinking almost always points to ol griff telling a few stories where the truth is not priority.
Yeah that's true. Although we do forget this season was killed off as soon as it started with a horror injury run.
Still he is responsible for a large amount of poor results this season and the fact that no one in the football department was out the door midway thru the season is soft from the board.
Time to Djbate!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Thu May 11, 2017 2:22 pm

One thing I really did dislike about Amor, possibly not his fault due to personnel, he really left it late to make subs and chase games.

It doesn't help only having 3 or 4 attacking players available.

Respect for what he did last season but this season has been a disaster. Not getting the right players early enough crippled us and being stubborn with the lineup and non chalant in press conferences wore pretty thin on me.

My one worry is going backward from here. Maybe we should have cut him loose early march and given Pau a chance.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

shinAUFC

Re: RE: Re: Who

Postby shinAUFC Thu May 11, 2017 2:33 pm

Yeah exactly that's the most worrying thing. I'd hate to see someone like Batistuta come in and undo everything put in place.
This !!!

Bad seAsons happen in the aleague but the overall progression and club style/ philosophy needs to remain and progress over the long term.

If the club neglects to follow that path I'm probably mostly done with being a committed fan , I'll still attend the odd game but I'll have little emotional attachment

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”