Who "will" replace Amor?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Ghost
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Who "will" replace Amor?

Postby Ghost Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:39 pm

With it seeming more and more certain that Amor is leaving, perhaps sooner rather than later who should replace him?

I want a coach who is,
1. commited to getting the team to play possession based football
2. Experienced
3. Good at developing young players
4. A result of a proper search overseas as well as Australia

We certainly don't need an unproven coach.
Last edited by Ghost on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Scott
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Re: Who should replace Amor?

Postby Old Gregg Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:49 pm

Gombau 8)
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Gombau is the impossible dream, but I'd be happy with his understudy Pau Marti to step up and have a crack at it. Seeing how both JG and GA have worked he may be the best of both worlds. At least until the end of the season and then we can re-assess.

Please not Kossie again ;)
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:49 pm

Gombau is the impossible dream, but I'd be happy with his understudy Pau Marti to step up and have a crack at it. Seeing how both JG and GA have worked he may be the best of both worlds. At least until the end of the season and then we can re-assess.

Please not Kossie again ;)
If Amor does leave in the next week or so then Pau Marti should get the job until the end of the season. However I think there would be better options available if the club is prepared to search for them.

DEFINITELY NOT KOSSIE.
I am Scott
salmonfc
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Craig Goodwin

Postby salmonfc Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:27 pm

Definitely Pau.
we da best
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:10 pm

I think the less disruptive way forward if Amor should leave would be Pau.
He has worked under the clubs two most influential trainers, he knows the players and the club politics.

Gombau left for reasons we don't really know so I can't imagine him coming back in the near future and to be honest I actually prefer him in the National setup to see what he can achieve.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:12 pm

Insert random "grass is greener on the other side candidate" here with no real logic behind it.

I would prefer amor stays, i cant think of a manager who would have handled losing the 3 big signings of the year, injuries and having to field kids who are not yet ready.

Recruiting is our biggest issue and yes amor needs to be accountable for some of that. But i feel sacking amor is like doing a full engine rebuild because you have a shanked gearbox.

Edit/
Ahh just read amor is electing to leave according to reports. Its a shame he is leaving imo but as far as im aware the club has been aware Amor may choose his son depending on living circumstances.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:36 pm

For me I feel the situation has got to the stage where the coaching role is similar to my opinion of the #10 role. It IMO makes more sense to offer a young up and comer the position to gain experience over a experienced international taking up the role and offering little or less to the role than the young up and comer would.
So I'd love to see an up and coming Australian coach with a background of possession based football come in. But I think if Amor leaves the common sense approach would be to offer Marti or Ramallo the role as they are unlikely to wipe the slate clean completely which I think is unnecessary. Its just a slight change that's needed IMO.

Obviously this isn't the most convenient time to change coaches. But besides during the off-season there truly never is a good time. But considering this is statistically the worst season the club has had in their history. The club isn't in a good place anyway.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:59 pm

After a little more thought. The person top of my "realistic" list is Michael Valkanis. I'd gladly have him back. From what I've heard Amor brought a new side out of him that allow him to become the coach he is. I think it would be a wonder touch to have him replace Amor.
Time to Djbate!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: Who should replace Amor?

Postby bpowell454 Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:07 pm

After a little more thought. The person top of my "realistic" list is Michael Valkanis. I'd gladly have him back. From what I've heard Amor brought a new side out of him that allow him to become the coach he is. I think it would be a wonder touch to have him replace Amor.
Is he that good? Most expensive club in the land and he has 2 wins (WSW CCM), 3 losses (ADL NEW MV) and a draw (BRI). If that's what he can do with $9.5mil what could he do here with pocket change?
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:10 pm

I would be supportive of the club's plan to poach the Aloisi brothers 'back' from Brisbane.

John Aloisi has played in Spain, speaks fluent Spanish and is an Adelaide boy. Same goes for Ross.

I am curious how Ross' coaching ability and transition of knowledge has progressed since his 'old football' playing days before Postecoglou changed the game in Australia.

As for Valkanis, I just don't think he's the Head Coach type.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Stuckey

Re: RE: Re: Who should replace Amor?

Postby Stuckey Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:15 pm

Is he that good? Most expensive club in the land and he has 2 wins (WSW CCM), 3 losses (ADL NEW MV) and a draw (BRI). If that's what he can do with $9.5mil what could he do here with pocket change?
I'm not really to interested in his coaching performance at City.
Its his record and relationship with AU that is more important.
He's already coached a lot of the players the are now HAL players.
Except for losing an NYL Grand Final he won everything he could coaching AU. The work he put into the youth side behind the scenes for me shows he has a real love for the club.
The only issue is whether he'd want to return after being cast aside and I'm not sure how the relationship ended either. Plus he has friends within City now so I think it's unlikely he'll leave them easily.

Do you have a "realistic" coach in mind?
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:21 pm

I would be supportive of the club's plan to poach the Aloisi brothers 'back' from Brisbane.

John Aloisi has played in Spain, speaks fluent Spanish and is an Adelaide boy. Same goes for Ross.

I am curious how Ross' coaching ability and transition of knowledge has progressed since his 'old football' playing days before Postecoglou changed the game in Australia.

As for Valkanis, I just don't think he's the Head Coach type.
I think John is a classic example of a local coach being offered enough of an opportunity to develop at HAL level.
It would be wonderful to have the Aloisi brothers at AU. As you say his Spanish connections would be very valuable.
I think if Micky V was afforded the same opportunities John was he would become a more than capable coach at HAL level if not beyond.
Time to Djbate!
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:24 pm

I'd look at Huss Skenderovic as a bit of a smoky. I liked what he's done with the women's team.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:26 pm

I'd look at Huss Skenderovic as a bit of a smoky. I liked what he's done with the women's team.
He has a decent level of experience in Asia as well. I think the club could do worse. He has cool hair too.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”