Adelaide United statement.

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Ghost
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Adelaide United statement.

Postby Ghost Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:46 pm

The club has released the following statement, available on the club website
After the game last night a number of fans saw fit to express their views as to the team’s performance and the “lack of” investment this season in the Adelaide United playing squad. Putting aside the totally inappropriate language used and directed to AUFC Board Members and family of our coaching staff, which will be dealt with, the Club believes it is important to correct the falsities in the minds of some fans regarding player spend this season. The Club has spent 100 per cent of the Hyundai A-League’s salary cap and we have utilised our home-grown player allocation and marquee funds. Our recruitment and retention decisions have not been made by a sole individual. The Club’s Football Sub-Committee, which includes owners, senior management, and all members of the coaching staff, have been aligned through this process. We equally share the burden of our successes and failures. The entire football community in South Australia has benefitted from the investment we have made in Hyundai A-League, Women's Football, and Youth Development. This is without mentioning the infrastructure costs associated with the setting up of the Playford Training Facility and the soon to be opened Northern Football Building at Elizabeth. In addition to this, our January transfer window recruitment plan, which we are already implementing, has been in place since the start of the season. We are working feverishly to secure the further players we acknowledge are required to return the Club to its rightful position on the ladder. We anticipate making positive announcements in this regard during the course of the transfer period which closes Saturday, 4 February

I do not really see the point, it is not going to change peoples views, it will just entrench views that the club has wasted money on poor players who are not up to it. Still it will be interesting to see if we do recruit anybody, although it would seem that players leaving would be required to allow any players to come into the A-league squad.

I would like to see Holland and Makarounas leave, the first because he is not what we need, the second because he is not good enough. Ending Guardiola's loan would also be beneficial. Carrusca retiring would be useful as well, he has played on one season too many.

If all of this happened plus Isaias becoming an Aussie which has been foreshadowed then there will be a number of visa spots available to strengthen the squad. Foreign players do not need to be big names or cost a lot of money but good recruiting could find a number of very good players. Isaias, Cirio, Carrusca, Cassio, Flores and others have been very good for us without be big names. It is the same across the league with players like Fornaroli and Berisha.
I am Scott
salmonfc
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Craig Goodwin

Re: Adelaide United statement.

Postby salmonfc Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:25 pm

What a pissant statement. If anything, the fact that we've spent the entire salary cap and filled all marquee spots available to us, yet we are still rooted to the bottom of the table playing like shit is even worse. For the record, I was standing in the Red Army and did not hear a single bit of "totally inappropriate language" directed towards the families of the coaches, so don't even think about accusing me or anyone else in the RA of that. "Griffin out", "we're not gonna take it anymore", "spend some fucking money" and "sack the board" was the worst of what was said. Meanwhile Grant Mayer is blocking everyone who doesn't validate him on Twitter, even those who are simply voicing their own opinions in a polite manner.

For example, this exchange.

"@gcmayer So you spent more than last year, on a squad that has more youth players and less quality overall?"
"personal agenda alert! See you Daniel."

They simply cannot accept that they've screwed up. We were in a position some clubs in the A-League could only dream about. We pulled off the great escape and went from bottom to top in four months. Our fairytale season was making news across the country and the world. A sea of red in Adelaide Oval showed us the potential this club has. Do we sign top quality players, retain our stars, go again and try to lock in some of those casual fans as diehards? Nope! We let Mauk, Djite, Sanchez and Goodwin all walk out the door, signed a bunch of squaddies and youth team players to replace them and signed a flashy but ultimately useless striker who couldn't cut it for a lower tier La Liga side whose claim to fame is being sacked by Barcelona's B team. We all knew we were fucking doomed, but we were told to just wait for the new players to gel, so we held our tongues and now we're rock bottom in January, nine points off sixth, just ten goals (two own goals) and we haven't scored a goal off the boot of one of our own players in five games.

So don't tell me that it's unreasonable to be pissed off that we're in this predicament. On and off the pitch, we are an embarrassment. Say goodbye to all those new fans you won after last season, they're not coming back if this is the best we can do. It's incredibly telling that Grant Mayer posted this quote from Richard Branson on Facebook just a few months after he joined Adelaide United; "If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later!"
we da best
milan_7
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: McGree

Postby milan_7 Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:43 pm

What a pissant statement. If anything, the fact that we've spent the entire salary cap and filled all marquee spots available to us, yet we are still rooted to the bottom of the table playing like shit is even worse. For the record, I was standing in the Red Army and did not hear a single bit of "totally inappropriate language" directed towards the families of the coaches, so don't even think about accusing me or anyone else in the RA of that. "Griffin out", "we're not gonna take it anymore", "spend some fucking money" and "sack the board" was the worst of what was said. Meanwhile Grant Mayer is blocking everyone who doesn't validate him on Twitter, even those who are simply voicing their own opinions in a polite manner.

For example, this exchange.

"@gcmayer So you spent more than last year, on a squad that has more youth players and less quality overall?"
"personal agenda alert! See you Daniel."

They simply cannot accept that they've screwed up. We were in a position some clubs in the A-League could only dream about. We pulled off the great escape and went from bottom to top in four months. Our fairytale season was making news across the country and the world. A sea of red in Adelaide Oval showed us the potential this club has. Do we sign top quality players, retain our stars, go again and try to lock in some of those casual fans as diehards? Nope! We let Mauk, Djite, Sanchez and Goodwin all walk out the door, signed a bunch of squaddies and youth team players to replace them and signed a flashy but ultimately useless striker who couldn't cut it for a lower tier La Liga side whose claim to fame is being sacked by Barcelona's B team. We all knew we were fucking doomed, but we were told to just wait for the new players to gel, so we held our tongues and now we're rock bottom in January, nine points off sixth, just ten goals (two own goals) and we haven't scored a goal off the boot of one of our own players in five games.

So don't tell me that it's unreasonable to be pissed off that we're in this predicament. On and off the pitch, we are an embarrassment. Say goodbye to all those new fans you won after last season, they're not coming back if this is the best we can do. It's incredibly telling that Grant Mayer posted this quote from Richard Branson on Facebook just a few months after he joined Adelaide United; "If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later!"
Don't agree with you often but I completely agree with this.

Also them trying to tell us the cap is full is a complete lie.
Ghost

Postby Ghost Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:59 pm

Also them trying to tell us the cap is full is a complete lie.
How do you know this? It is a big claim and I think should be backed up.
I am Scott
salmonfc
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Craig Goodwin

Postby salmonfc Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:07 pm

If the cap's full, how are we going to add new players, assuming we don't get rid of at least one or two current players?
we da best
Ghost

Postby Ghost Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:10 pm

If the cap's full, how are we going to add new players, assuming we don't get rid of at least one or two current players?
Two options, get rid of players or sign ACL only players.
I am Scott
Ghost

Postby Ghost Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:46 pm

Looking on twitter it is quite clear Greg Griffin was abused when he left the ground and that is why there is a statement.

There is a claim Red Army members were no allowed into the youth teams match this morning

Grant Mayer is looking at arranging a Q&A session on Tuesday night.

Interesting times.
I am Scott
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:05 pm

That's a terrible statement. Telling the fans they shouldn't be upset with being last is extremely poor form. Club statement should consist of one word: "sorry".
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:13 pm

I would like to learn more about the actual incident that sparked the statement before making comment. It could be the club overreacting, some specific fans being idiots or a combination thereof.
Ghost

Postby Ghost Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:37 pm

I would like to learn more about the actual incident that sparked the statement before making comment. It could be the club overreacting, some specific fans being idiots or a combination thereof.
As far as I can tell from looking on twitter, Greg Griffin was followed to his car and abused by a group of fans that seems to have included Red Army members, it might or might not have been all Red Army members, not clear. He hopped into his car without response. He had been walking with a lady called Sandra who might be related to a member of the coaching staff, who might or might not have been also abused. Grant Mayer certainly believes she was being abused as well but others have claimed all the abuse was directed at Greg Griffin. After Greg Griffin hopped into his car Sandra responded to the group and that might have included her swearing at the group.
Grant Mayer has stated no one has been banned and he does not want anyone banned but there is a claim Red Army members were not allowed into the youth team game this morning. Mayer said he knew nothing about it.
I am Scott
supsup

Postby supsup Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:05 pm

Juicy pissantry
terry tibbs

Postby terry tibbs Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Juicy pissantry
Yep.

An incredibly defensive culture has been allowed to develop around the club and statements like this do more damage than good.

If there was an incident spell it out. What happened?

This high school level drama and awful attempts at PR they insist on don't appease iron-clad fans or impress casual supporters.

EDIT - spelling
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:23 pm

Similar defensive tone as in the CEO email bagging supporters who dared criticize the crap signings.
These guys sure know how alienate their members/fans and pour petrol on the fire. Just confirms why so many hate/ want changes at board/owner level. Nick Bianco made everyone feel a part of the club, these guys......
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:09 pm

Re: The Cap.

The idea that they spend 100% of the salary cap on *this squad* is far more concerning than if they had merely underspent. I have no reason to doubt the club's honesty.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:13 pm

If we weren't angry after last night, we are now.

Disgraceful statement.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”