our team

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

bptiger
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: ciro

our team

Postby bptiger Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:38 pm

Well after watching that so called farce of a team last night, I would like to express my feelings and see what others think. who ever is in charge at the club in regards to signing players needs to resign A.S.A.P. WE LOST 5 TOP CLASS PLAYERS FROM LAST YEAR and they have been replaced with players who should be playing for relands last nights opponents not a a- league side. the fans deserve better and should the club not buy 3-4 top class players we will get another trophy at the end of the season its called the WOODEN SPOON. the club does not have one centre forward the midfield is bare without jeggo or mauk and the defense is running on the barest of numbers, after winning last year u would think the club would like to move forward not go backwards. that's my rant.
EdDog

Re: our team

Postby EdDog Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:34 pm

My concerns exactly.

Would love to be proved wrong but I expect us to go into the season with the weakest squad in the league.

NPL and youth players plus an average foreigner will all we will get from here.
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:38 pm

We have lost players. Mauk, Goodwin, Djite, Kamau and Pablo makes 5 plus Jeggo and Malik during the season.

I disagree that the players we have recruited (Kitto, Garrucio and Makarounis) should be playing at NPL level, especially the first two. However the youth players that played last night (Ochieng, Warland, McGree and O'Doherty) are probably not all ready to be A-league players, certainly not starting XI players.

The club has been clear it is looking for a visa replacement for Pablo who is almost certainly going to be a centre forward. Marc Marino is a centre forward, unfortunately he has a minor injury and was not able to play last night. In his brief performances for Melbourne City he scored a couple of goals and looked like a player of the future. Cirio can also play there but it is not his best position and he is also injured. O'Doherty might be getting a contract as well although he is probably more likely to play on the wing. So a striker is the most important signing we have to make.

The midfield is lacking a replacement to Mauk/Jeggo. We have signed Makarounis who needs to prove he can play at A-league level and there is also Mells who is injured. The suggestion is McGree will be signed to a first team contract. There is Holman, Sarota and Holland available and signing one of them would be good.

The defence is not too bad as far as numbers. There is La Rocca, McGowan and Elsey who are all good A-league CBs, Elrich and Garrucio as fullbacks, plus Warland (who was admittedly terrible last night) and Ochieng who might be re-signed. Marrone's injury is a bad loss so perhaps another full back is needed. Riley Woodcock is an unattached LB who might be an okay back up, but maybe we can do better.

I still think there is enough quality in the team and the defence is strong enough, that with a good visa striker we can make the finals.
I am Scott
Ghost

Postby Ghost Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:44 pm

My concerns exactly.

Would love to be proved wrong but I expect us to go into the season with the weakest squad in the league.

NPL and youth players plus an average foreigner will all we will get from here.
Our squad is definitely stronger than CCM and Wellington have a very weak defence so we are probably about the same as their squad despite its attacking quality.
I would say there are concerns about most squads.
Victory's squad has come together well and looks the strongest.
Brisbane are weak at the back although they have been linked with a good looking CB.
City are weak at the back as well and who knows if they will adequately replace Mooy. The Cahill move is looking a bit more unlikely.
Sydney are looking good but perhaps need a goal scorer.
Perth look very strong in defence and attack but may lack a bit in midfield.
Newcastle seem to have improved but are still not great in my view.
I am Scott
Interloper

Postby Interloper Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:52 pm

The new signings this year are all in the range of "Have heard the name before" to "occasional starter in mediocre team." Also, except for Marino, they're servicable midfielders/wingers with no particular outstanding talent.

Perhaps agents have seen the players that come into Adelaide and then leave for bigger leagues and are offering these sorts at a discount rate in the hope of later payoff? Of course dollar-conscious Adelaide United would be more than happy to agree.
Ghost

Postby Ghost Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:18 pm

The new signings this year are all in the range of "Have heard the name before" to "occasional starter in mediocre team." Also, except for Marino, they're servicable midfielders/wingers with no particular outstanding talent.

Perhaps agents have seen the players that come into Adelaide and then leave for bigger leagues and are offering these sorts at a discount rate in the hope of later payoff? Of course dollar-conscious Adelaide United would be more than happy to agree.
Come off it.
Marino, Garuccio and Kitto are all South Australians that are coming home.
Melbourne City was not a mediocre team last season and Garrucio played 45 A-league games, 21 last season, and is only 21. City were reluctant to let Garuccio leave, it looked like the move would not happen. I think he is an excellent signing for us.
Kitto was at the Jets as an injury replacement and impressed. Jets fans were very surprised when he was listed as being released, but it became clear it was only because he had lined up a move to us that he was released.
Makarounas is 22 and did not succeed at Victory, but remember nor did Jeggo. He has been given a chance but he is probably seen as a player to give depth rather than a starting player.
I am Scott
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:40 pm

Scotts on fire! Good form :)
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:16 pm

Scotts on fire! Good form :)
Hear, hear!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:00 pm

Come off it.
Melbourne City was not a mediocre team last season and Garrucio played 45 A-league games, 21 last season, and is only 21. City were reluctant to let Garuccio leave, it looked like the move would not happen. I think he is an excellent signing for us.
Kitto was at the Jets as an injury replacement and impressed. Jets fans were very surprised when he was listed as being released, but it became clear it was only because he had lined up a move to us that he was released.
Makarounas is 22 and did not succeed at Victory, but remember nor did Jeggo. He has been given a chance but he is probably seen as a player to give depth rather than a starting player.
They're all OK signings. But none of them would rank above any of the regulars last year that have been lost.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:08 pm

Which was the same case last season. For last season to happen the club needed the younger kids to step up. McGowan, Jeggo, Mauk, Kamau and Goodwin all did.
I feel the club has identified that they may have the ability to develop players.
Time to Djbate!
Ghost

Postby Ghost Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:19 pm

Come off it.
They're all OK signings. But none of them would rank above any of the regulars last year that have been lost.
True, but Kamau had hardly done anything before last season, Kitto has showed at least as much, probably more seeing he has scored A-league goals.
Goodwin was talented but not a regular starter before he joined the club. He developed a lot at the club and now there is a similar opportunity for Garuccio to do the same.
Marino certainly is not Djite but I don't think any one claims he is, he is replacing Babalj.
Makarounis is coming in in very similar circumstances to Jeggo. Will it be as successful?

Over the last few years a number of players have come into the side and improved a lot, or been developed from within. Goodwin, Mauk, Elrich, McGowan, Jeggo, Kamau, Elsey and Mabil. Marrone has also improved as a player and Djite showed career best form at the end of last season.
So I am optimistic that at least some of the new players will show improvement and become very good A-league players. Mells and other young players at the club could improve as well to become good A-league players. O'Doherty showed glimpses of talent and has pace, he could be the next young winger to break through following on from Mabil and Kamau.
I am Scott
Ghost

Postby Ghost Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:38 pm

The other thing to consider is if we again prove that we can develop young players this season we could get a number of the Joeys team join us at the end of the season or the following season. Being a noted developer of young players could be quite a profitable venture and also allow us to spend slightly more on visa players as the young talent will be on less wages than older A-league players. And we showed last season that developing young players does not preclude a team from having success.

Players like John Roberts and Lachlan Brook could be very good young players for a year or two and then bring in very good money with a move overseas.

Maybe this kind of vision for the club is not what everyone wants but it might be the only way we can be competitive against the bigger teams with more resources and win any trophies.
I am Scott
rusty81

Postby rusty81 Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:35 am

Basically since Petrillo left we have been a one way door in the transfer market. Michael was there for a long time, had the trust of the board and the nouse to get the signings across the line. It seems that his replacement hasn't had the same success and will now miss the boat on quality Australian signings.

I still think we will sign a quality foreigner who has to be a goal scoring striker. We then need to top up with a couple of solid Australian players to complement what remains of the squad and continue to develop the young SA boys who over the course of the season should grow and become a better team.

The likelyhood of us being at the top of the table again following the depletion of the squad is very low. What this should do is highlight how special last year was. What we achieved on the budget we work with is nothing short of incredible.

Now we start the journey again and look to build towards another unlikely shot at glory!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:16 am

Basically since Petrillo left we have been a one way door in the transfer market. Michael was there for a long time, had the trust of the board and the nouse to get the signings across the line. It seems that his replacement hasn't had the same success and will now miss the boat on quality Australian signings.

I still think we will sign a quality foreigner who has to be a goal scoring striker. We then need to top up with a couple of solid Australian players to complement what remains of the squad and continue to develop the young SA boys who over the course of the season should grow and become a better team.

The likelyhood of us being at the top of the table again following the depletion of the squad is very low. What this should do is highlight how special last year was. What we achieved on the budget we work with is nothing short of incredible.

Now we start the journey again and look to build towards another unlikely shot at glory!
I actually think ante has done a very good job since arriving.

Its rather ironic that when petrillo was here there were always whispers that he was always amongst any drama at the club. When he leaves he is suddenly a saint.

Exactly the same with bruce, in 6 months he has gone from apparently being npl2 standard to suddenly a huge loss.

I wish people would make up their minds.

Everyone is looking for a scapegoat, someone to heap the blame on without actually having inside knowledge and facts to back things up. Its a natural reaction and i understand why people are angry but its also a sign of weakness.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Ghost

Postby Ghost Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:20 am

It is probably too early to judge Kovacevic and Mayer but the club has managed to do the swap of Malik for Mauk that turned out well and convince Melbourne City to release Garuccio to us. Lets give them until a few weeks before the season to secure some more signings.
According to Tarek Elrich in the Val article, which is largely nonsense, Mayer has reassured the players more signings will happen and shown the players a list of who they are looking to sign. So hopefully the visa striker will be very good and we can secure some Australian talent to fill out the squad. Holman, Holland, Sarota and Bulut are the 4 players obviously available, but we might be able to pull off a loan like we did with Babalj and Zullo.
I am Scott

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”